Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
marksmith
Can barely lace up my sneakers

marksmith has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: List of Paxson's dumb decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring#7
I dont care much for the garnett, kobe, Gasol talks. When your having trade talks with high profile players, its either hit or miss. I don't blame Pax for not gutting the roster for one player. It's the mistakes he's been making within, on his own account thats raising eyebrows. I'm not sure if we need a new GM, but Paxson needs to kill this pholosiphy of winning culture crap. How is he building a winning culture, when he gets rid of all the winners because he doesn't like their attitude or they want to where a headband? Thats petty $hit if you ask me.

While I agree with you, let me say that neither Wallace or Curry are winners - by any definition of the word.

That said, Paxson has definitely struggled... but less we not forget that before last season went awry, we were THE definition of how to build a young team through the draft... No real veterans or "big trades"... Paxson literally built this team hand over hand through the draft. All of that AND this team was picked to at least be extremely competitive NOT just for the division, but for the Eastern Conference Finals. That's a HUGE deal.

That said, they underperformed. This is the fault of the coach. Now before everyone goes on a tirade because everyone, for whatever reason, LOVES a demanding/yelling/crazy coach like Ditka, let me say that his job is to take the talent Paxson gave him and continually improve the talent level of those players and put them in a position to win. This team... this EXACT team, basically, won a whole lot of games and flashed not just "solid" ability - but the ability to be a VERY GOOD team.

Skiles lost them, or they lost him. Either way, Paxson gave Skiles everything he needed to win - which was evidenced by the fact that they WERE a winning team under last year. You can't win with a group one year, lose with them the next and have it NOT be the coaches fault. If you're all going to talk about how great a job he did coaching them when they were winning, you have to talk about what an abysmal job he did last year.

Skiles is gone and the Wolves won't ever be in the playoffs, so I'm not concerned. All I want is a coach who will actually use the talents of his players (The Ally Oop is not a play exclusive to Tyson Chandler). With the youth and (yes) TALENT that Paxson has compiled on this roster, there's no reason this team can't be extremely competitive for 2-5 years.

Also, as a side note, Jerry Reinsdorf is one of the winningest owners in all of sports. All this "Jerry sucks" mantra is pathetic given his successes as an NBA and MLB owner. Say what you want about Jordan "falling in their laps," but the Lakers didn't exactly trade the farm to land Kobe either. And it took them getting Shaq to be able to win anything anyway.

Let's just see how it plays out here. I think Avery Johnson, but I really want a coach who will take a look at his roster and use their youth to his advantage. Really, I want someone who will DEVELOP A PLAYER. How about getting real, extended looks at Sefolosha, Thomas and Noah early in the season (no one gets benched) and trying to see if any one of them can be a standout player. That's what Skiles didn't do, IMO. Guys were constantly looking over their shoulder waiting to see when he was going to bench them for Adrian Griffin.
marksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Ring#7 has an OK reputation so far

I here ya marksmith, and for that same reason D'Antoni was the perfect coach for this team. I feel that the Bulls weren't aggresive enough in woeing him over. And knowone ever said that Curry was a winner. But Paxson must have thought Wallace was to sign him up for 60mil. There aint another GM in there right mind that would have signed wallace for that much. Detroit was only going for a max of 40mil. Once again I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to bash Paxson, "but its his own dumb mistakes that are raising eyebrows." I understand that being a GM isnt as easy as it seems. But we've practically had opportunity's laid out right in front of us, and only ignored them. I only hope that Paxson is getting the message and from here on out can learn from the mistakes he's made in the past. But the only way for him to do that is to except it. If he done things right our team would look something like this..............

Coach: D'Antoni
C-Tyson Chandler
PF-Joakim Noah
SF-Luol Deng
SG-Ben Gordon
PG-Brandon Roy
Bench
C-Aaron Gray
PF-Joe Smith
SF-Nocioni or Peja
SG-Thabo
PG-JR Smith
extras
Duhon & trash
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #18
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring#7
I here ya marksmith, and for that same reason D'Antoni was the perfect coach for this team. I feel that the Bulls weren't aggresive enough in woeing him over. And knowone ever said that Curry was a winner. But Paxson must have thought Wallace was to sign him up for 60mil. There aint another GM in there right mind that would have signed wallace for that much. Detroit was only going for a max of 40mil. Once again I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to bash Paxson, "but its his own dumb mistakes that are raising eyebrows." I understand that being a GM isnt as easy as it seems. But we've practically had opportunity's laid out right in front of us, and only ignored them. I only hope that Paxson is getting the message and from here on out can learn from the mistakes he's made in the past. But the only way for him to do that is to except it. If he done things right our team would look something like this..............

Coach: D'Antoni
C-Tyson Chandler
PF-Joakim Noah
SF-Luol Deng
SG-Ben Gordon
PG-Brandon Roy
Bench
C-Aaron Gray
PF-Joe Smith
SF-Nocioni or Peja
SG-Thabo
PG-JR Smith
extras
Duhon & trash

Chandler was traded for JR Smith then Smith was traded for pretty much nothing.

It could have looked like this...

Chandler
LaMarcus Aldridge
Luol Deng
Ben Gordon
Kirk Hinrich

or...

Noah
LaMarcus Aldridge
Luol Deng
JR Smith
Kirk Hinrich

OR...

Tyson Chandler
Noah
Luol Deng
Brandon Roy
Kirk Hinrich
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
marksmith
Can barely lace up my sneakers

marksmith has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
Chandler was traded for JR Smith then Smith was traded for pretty much nothing.

It could have looked like this...

Chandler
LaMarcus Aldridge
Luol Deng
Ben Gordon
Kirk Hinrich

or...

Noah
LaMarcus Aldridge
Luol Deng
JR Smith
Kirk Hinrich

OR...

Tyson Chandler
Noah
Luol Deng
Brandon Roy
Kirk Hinrich

Look hey, I like Conan too... but come on. Are you guys really going to rack your brain about the way things COULD have been, or the way they are? There's absolutely no guarantee that Brandon Roy or JR Smith would have ended up being the same players that they ended up being with Scott "I play veterans first" Skiles anyway.

JR's style, IMO, is the kind of style that Skiles would have benched a player for.

We need a coach who can develop talent. Sefolosha, Thomas and Gooden appear, at least at first blush, to have talent that a good coach should be able to hardness. Any one of those guys, with the right coach, could end up in the top 5 in the league at their position in the league (again, this is IMO).

I think if you had CP3 on this team, Thomas would be the best PF in the league. He's more athletic, faster, and has a better jump shot than Chandler. He's also a better defender as he's just as good a shot blocker (if not better because of his athleticism) than TC but he's already a far more polished offensive player.
marksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Ring#7 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith
Look hey, I like Conan too... but come on. Are you guys really going to rack your brain about the way things COULD have been, or the way they are? There's absolutely no guarantee that Brandon Roy or JR Smith would have ended up being the same players that they ended up being with Scott "I play veterans first" Skiles anyway.

JR's style, IMO, is the kind of style that Skiles would have benched a player for.

We need a coach who can develop talent. Sefolosha, Thomas and Gooden appear, at least at first blush, to have talent that a good coach should be able to hardness. Any one of those guys, with the right coach, could end up in the top 5 in the league at their position in the league (again, this is IMO).

I think if you had CP3 on this team, Thomas would be the best PF in the league. He's more athletic, faster, and has a better jump shot than Chandler. He's also a better defender as he's just as good a shot blocker (if not better because of his athleticism) than TC but he's already a far more polished offensive player.

I'm not trying to make a list of how the team could have been. I was only saying for example thats how the team should have been. The name of this thread is "List of paxson's dumb decisions." my post was merely a sum up of how the team would've looked hadn't he made those decisions. I know whats done is done and you can't change the past, but Paxson needs to take a long look back to make sure he doesn't make those same mistakes in the future. Paxson seems like an intelligent man, so I'm sure he's well aware of this. People are all over him because everyone knows were in position to make some great things happen. I'd hate to see him make another dumb decision like trading away Tyrus Thomas for Motumbo, or Hinrich for Jason Williams. Having said that, I better knock on wood lol.
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: