Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Default Avery Johnson

Avery Johnson absolutely needs to be hired now that D'antoni is a Knick. I really see no other option. Avery is owed 12 million by the mavs and he shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as D'antoni. D'antoni may have been great in developing players and running a high octane offense, but i'm not looking at him going to the Knicks as a disaster. Yes, Reinsdorf and Pax should have made it happen, but I agree that you can't get into a bidding war over a coach with the Knicks, and I also feel like Avery Johnson is a great hire as well. Now if the Bulls let Avery slip away then it will be marked a disaster. At this point in time the Bulls need an experienced coach, not a first time coach. The team is so young they need a general like Avery on the sidelines who is tough but also has good relationships with his players and can definitely strengthen the Bulls D in a big way. It's ****ing Avery or bust.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Default Re: Avery Johnson

I agree with you dengness. I've been saying it for the longest, even before D'Antoni was officially in the picture, that Avery was the best man for the job. It wouldn't have been a smart move to get in a bidding war with the knicks because there desperate, and will do almost anything to clear up that funk that Thomas left behind. I still think D'Antoni would have been a good coach for this team, but Avery is more well rounded. If we're going to be a great team we need a great coach with experience and has coached great games. D'Antoni was all the above except defense isn't one of his strengths, which is the strength our team. More importantly, It really all comes down to the money. regardless of what people think Avery wants his money. He's gonna want a deal somewhere along the lines of D'Antoni. In my opinion he's worth more than D'Antoni but the only team crazy enough to pay him that much are the Knicks, and there coach search is already over. Which leaves us. Personally I don't think our front office will do it. There looking for a cheap solution for a major problem as always.
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
ILLEFEX
Serious playground baller

i agree with both of you that avery needs to be hired now.........honestly, i did't mind d'antoni as the bulls coach, but i would've preferred avery.......right after the season ended, my choices were:

1. rick carlisle
2. larry brown
-------------
3. avery johnson
4. mike d'antoni
( that was when they both were rumored to be fired )

anyways, 3 of those guys are already hired and johnson might ask for a lot more money since paxson really don't have any other choices left unless he goes with an unexperienced coach.....i don't want a college coach or an assistant coach.......so, i think paxson should offer avery johnson a job.....
he is a good coach, a defensive minded coach, and i think he can discipline a young team like the bulls.........
ILLEFEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
mjbulls23
6 World Championships

I'd be fine with Avery, although I would have preferred Rick Carlisle. I agree with all of the above comments.

Otherwise my main worries with this team (besides the coaching search) are keeping Deng & Gordon and hopefully signing a big name free agent, maybe bring Elton Brand back

I just hope Reinsdorf doesn't settle for a cheap assistant coach or make a bad free agent signing like Ben Wallace a few years ago.
mjbulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Starkonian
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I agree, Avery is the best option now. Reinsdorf needs to open the purse strings pronto.
Starkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

I still say they shouldn't have gotten rid of Scott Skiles. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that. He only took this team to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in a row. It's not his fault that Paxson signed Ben Wallace and made some crappy draft picks. Skiles could only do so much with the talent that was given to him and he didn't have the talent with this Bulls team.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
captainkirk
Decent playground baller

I don't think Avery is a top head coach: he had a super team like Mavs and didn't win when he could. I see Thibodeau would be a good bet, he could discover himself as a great head coach. Avery Johnson did great with players like Dirk, Harris, Terry etc...I don't think he would do the same with a 10 time worse team like ours.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
marksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
I still say they shouldn't have gotten rid of Scott Skiles. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that. He only took this team to the playoffs 3 straight seasons in a row. It's not his fault that Paxson signed Ben Wallace and made some crappy draft picks. Skiles could only do so much with the talent that was given to him and he didn't have the talent with this Bulls team.

What happened with Skiles is what happens with every "general" like coach in every sport. Eventually, the players tune you out. It happens everywhere - not just in Chicago.

And, IMO, it's not an indictment against either the coach or the players, just a situation where there was no chemistry left between the two parties. Like I said, all that "rah rah" we're doing it my way stuff gets really old after a season or two.

It's the same idea as being the CEO of a company. Your job is tied to your results. Skiles end result was drastically underachieving team that was supposed to challenge the elite teams in the East that fell flat on their face. And yes, it isn't his fault there was NO ONE on the team that could make a 10+ foot jump shot for the first 15 games, but in the end, I think it was his lack of defense that did it for Pax.

Defense was what they did well for a long time and, for whatever reason, they absolutely sucked this year. Is it the player's fault? Absolutely. But that said, the same players on this team have succeeded before, so you know the talent is there... and it's the coach's JOB to get the players to perform to their level by putting them in the best position to win.

IMO Skiles' playbook was too inflexible - not unlike Ron Turner. He seemed to know exactly how he wanted his offense to work, regardless of the personnel. I disagree with this approach. A great coach will find a way to use the people in his offense to the best of their ability, and I don't think he did that very well.
marksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Starkonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith
What happened with Skiles is what happens with every "general" like coach in every sport. Eventually, the players tune you out. It happens everywhere - not just in Chicago.

And, IMO, it's not an indictment against either the coach or the players, just a situation where there was no chemistry left between the two parties. Like I said, all that "rah rah" we're doing it my way stuff gets really old after a season or two.

It's the same idea as being the CEO of a company. Your job is tied to your results. Skiles end result was drastically underachieving team that was supposed to challenge the elite teams in the East that fell flat on their face. And yes, it isn't his fault there was NO ONE on the team that could make a 10+ foot jump shot for the first 15 games, but in the end, I think it was his lack of defense that did it for Pax.

Defense was what they did well for a long time and, for whatever reason, they absolutely sucked this year. Is it the player's fault? Absolutely. But that said, the same players on this team have succeeded before, so you know the talent is there... and it's the coach's JOB to get the players to perform to their level by putting them in the best position to win.

IMO Skiles' playbook was too inflexible - not unlike Ron Turner. He seemed to know exactly how he wanted his offense to work, regardless of the personnel. I disagree with this approach. A great coach will find a way to use the people in his offense to the best of their ability, and I don't think he did that very well.

I see your point and I've thought the same thing as well. What bothers me tho is why does Jerry Sloan keep having success, decade in and out, when he's as much or more the task master that Skiles was with the Bulls. All I come up with is Skiles quite on the Bulls. If that happened then I say we are better to be rid of him.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
marksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkonian
I see your point and I've thought the same thing as well. What bothers me tho is why does Jerry Sloan keep having success, decade in and out, when he's as much or more the task master that Skiles was with the Bulls. All I come up with is Skiles quite on the Bulls. If that happened then I say we are better to be rid of him.

While you're right, that's one example... I guess Popovich would be the other example worth mentioning. Pop has won quite a few championships, but maybe you can refresh my memory as to how many titles Sloan has one? If we, in Chicago, had a coach who could constantly go to the playoffs but never win a title, you'd all be calling for his head.

In any case, I think it was a bit of both... maybe the players began to quit on Skiles and then Skiles just said... whatever... Probably less of one person's fault (ie Ben Wallace) and more a combination of factors that lead to it. But everyone needs a scape goat and I didn't really like Wallace anyway, so it's fine with me to make him the sacrificial lamb.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Starkonian

Yep, tough luck for Sloan. Like so many other coaches of the 90's he was unable to scale Mount Jordan. He sure got close in '98.
There is something unknown to the general public regarding what really brought the demise of Skiles. Was he getting signs from Reinsdorf indicating they wanted him out? Was it just the players quitting...who knows. I suspect he was given a saving face deal to get out town so the Bulls could change direction and Skiles could latch on elsewhere.
I liked him actually but am now glad we are pursuing other options.

Last edited by Starkonian : 05-13-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
marksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkonian
Yep, tough luck for Sloan. Like so many other coaches of the 90's he was unable to scale Mount Jordan.

That's one of the best lines I've ever read, anywhere. God, that brings back some great memories...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: