Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Basketbolero has decent reputationBasketbolero has decent reputation
Post Let's begin!if I were Billy King...

Hello Sixers Fans!we finally got our forum, so we can discuss the future of the team and what ever we want about our sixers.
I would like to begin asking you guys about what would you do if you were Billy King. Would you try to improve the team with a pair of transactions? or would you reload the roster and give the young players more minutes and shots to improve?
I think we are so far from being a contender, but a pair of good moves could change this scenario.

Last edited by Basketbolero : 06-09-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Basketbolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

Sixers should try to improve the team, there's no point in rebuilding and trading AI if Philly still has Webber's contract on its payroll. Let's just hope that King doesnt give big contracts to John Salmons and Willie Green since both arent worth $4-5mil. Larry Brown and King really screwed us up trading away draft picks for basically nothing. With limited trade assets Billy King has his hands full but here's my plan:
1. Sixers need ball movement on their offense. AI needs slide back to SG and let the offense run through Webber. With that said, Sixers can get their PG from the draft or Free Agency. I see them taking local product, Mardy Collins with the 13th pick in the draft.

2. Depth and Defense. This was a big problem for the Sixers last season, they had Bradley,Barnes,Ollie,Salmons and Hunter off the bench and that's not going to cut it. Billy King can do two things, trade or free agency. The only trade bait that Philly has is Samuel Dalembert and although he is overpaid, theyre pretty lucky to find a teams still interested in him. Hawks and Raptors are two possibilities. Say maybe a sign and trade for Al Harrington,Zaza Pachulia for Dalembert, still that's just wishful thinking. So, the 76ers look to add defensive minded vets through free agency. Id like to see them make a push for Jumaine Jones and Melvin Ely, both solid defenders and capable of contributing on the offensive end when needed.

Sixers Roster for '06-'07 Season
CT-Dalembert/Hunter
PF-Webber/Ely
SF-Iguodala/Korver
SG-Iverson/Jones
PG-Collins/Ollie/Williams
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
ppierce34

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

You can move AI and keep Webber. Webber has two years left and as long as you aren't taking in long term deals with Iverson, it shouldn't be a big issue. I'd rather they both go if they are gonna blow it up, but it can be done with Webber still on the roster.

I'd rather not draft Mardy Collins at 13. He's an ok player, but I think they can do better with a Shelden Williams, Cedric Simmons, Ronnie Brewer, O'Bryant, Carney or Marcus Williams if he's there.

They probably won't be able to get both Ely and Jumaine Jones, as both of them will probably be guys that get around the full MLE. I doubt they'll be able to split it to get them both. It's the right idea, though.

Dalembert has to be moved while he still has value. A Dalembert/Webber frontcourt is still gonna lead to one of the worst defenses in the league, unless Sam suddenly develops a brain. Which I doubt.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Dalembert has to be moved while he still has value. A Dalembert/Webber frontcourt is still gonna lead to one of the worst defenses in the league, unless Sam suddenly develops a brain. Which I doubt.
I fully agree with you
Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi, new to the board. Been a die hard 76er fan for...a 100 years :-) Or maybe it just seems that long. I don't profess to know what BK will do. I do know that as a fan, I would like him to seek enlightment elsewhere :-) Okay, I'm sorry, down to business.

First, we probably all have read todays story that says the 76ers WILL definitely trade Dalembert. It stated that several teams still like Samuel's game. I think we have to be very careful here. Me personally, well I feel that Dalembert is still not being used correctly. Cheeks used him a lot away from the paint, and covering outside alot.
Keep him in the paint, have him disrupt shots and rebound, and put back the missed shot occassionally
and you have a 10-12 Pt scorer, 11-12 a night rebounder with 3-4 Blocks a game. Dalembert will never be a dominate offensive force cause he just doesn't have either the mindset or B-Ball IQ to do so. But I have seen him dominate Ben Wallace in the playoffs last year. And as a defensive Center and rebounder, we can do alot worse. Trade him ?, okay, but don't give him away.

As for Ivy, sorry but I would look at dealing him. Again don't give him away cause he is still too valuable, and a crowd draw as well. However, and I'm just speculating here, but if you could say deal Ivy to say Charlotte, for a package of G.Wallace..( A starting SF who can play Defense. Allowing Korver to come off the bench )...and Raymond Felton ( A Good starting PG for our future)
and the 3rd overall pick in this draft, AND a 1st round pick in 2008 or 2009..Sixers choice, well I would do that deal. Charlotte gets a Marquee talent and draw, to go along with Okafor, Sean May, and they would still have Cap room to sign a free agent Guard to pair with Ivy, like say a Bonzi Wells, or someone else. And then still have the MLE to work with. However this is just speculation on my part.

I do feel though given BK's comments a week ago about how not having alot of size is not needed to win, tells me that Dalembert is on his way out. Look for him to try and deal SD for a defensive SF from one of the teams in the top-6 who need a Center, and agree to switch draft slots. Have no idea who that team might be. It could be Minnesots, or Atlanta, but we will have to wait a couple of weeks to see. I don't think BK will rush into it.

Great to be here, peace.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
ppierce34

Sam in no way, shape, or form dominated Ben Wallace in that series. Like Sam, the numbers looked nice, but he made a ton of mental mistakes in that series. It wasn't Cheeks using him away from the paint, it was opposing teams having a gameplan to exploit the fact that Sixer big men didn't defend the pick and roll properly. That was the biggest defensive problem the team had, every team in the league did nothing but set picks on AI and Iggy up top with their big men because Sam, Webber, and the rest of them(minus Randolph)wouldn't flash out to defend the shot or cut of the lane to the basket, they were spectators watching the pick be set and watching the man take the jumper or blow by them.

Sam could be an offensive and defensive force...if he had a brain or desire to get better. His athleticism is frightening, but he can't catch the ball on offense, takes fadeaway and turnaround jumpers when no one is on him and has terrible body control. On defense, he just doesn't have a clue, but to try and block everything.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Unregistered

Dalembert averaged...

14.2 Pts on 66 FG %
13.7 Rebounds a game
5.2 Blocks per game

Wallace...

6.7 Pts on 47 FG %
9.5 Rebounds
And not even 1 Block a game.

And Sam didn't dominate ????

Yeah dude, whatever. Go and buy yorself a clue before you post here. As Ashton Kutcher would say.....You have just been totally PUNKED!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
ppierce34

I don't know where you get your numbers from cupcake, but you might want to double check them.

Sam was 12, 13, and only blocked 7 shots in the entire series, nevermind 5 a game and he hit 55% of his shots. And again ignore the fact that those numbers don't show the number of mental mistakes he made on defense. Hell you look at Sam's numbers for this season and he looks good, but do numbers tell the whole story?

As for Ben's numbers, you're wrong. He scored 13, which considering the force he is offensively is impressive. 12 rebounds. And I doubt he blocked less than a shot a game considering he matched Sam's total in game 1 with 7 blocks. He also anchored the defense along with Rasheed, something Sam didn't do and something that doesn't show up in the box score.

You'd see things better if you watched the series.

And take the 10 seconds and fill out a username.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
23jordan23
Great young streetballer

23jordan23 has an OK reputation so far

Keep A.I for starters make him ur SG not a pg he will b ur #1 option..Get a True winning coach that has good NBA experience someone that the players will respect..like a larry brown but not too tight assed Cheeks is too slack players push him around every where he goes. keep Dalembert..keep Korver (6th man)..Keep Iguldala everyone else u have to go through the market of players u can use to strengthen ur teams depth from the starting line up to the bench 1st thing u would need is a true point guard that can give u like 10 points a night and 6-8 assists a night then u look for a decent free agent or player in last years of contract that can compliment iverson in scoring a 20 point scorer ..i know its easier said than done but i feel if 6ers can do this they will b back on track ..u cant give away ur franchise player especially when hes still the top ten player in the leauge
23jordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dalembert

For

Big Z
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dalembert

For

Big Z

WOW.....am going to let u think about what u just said.....NEVER say that again....Big Z is a Big Dumb Truck...hes the slowest moving thing ive ever seen...
okay first of all this is the same guy who was complaining to his team when Rasheed elbowed him in the head and made him bleed...BIG Z huh...he is the biggest guy on the Cavs and that boi is SOFT...Hes a big stiff.... i mean since when do u hear about Big z..he diddnt do anything against detriot...Hes a stiff
i mean i would never do that trade..Big Z is horrible and is so overated..what they need to do is trade sammy d to the hawks who have all that cap room for a nice pik...then they have 2 nice early piks....draft a pg that has nice size that can run the offense and on defense guards the sg to let ai guard the pg and with the other pick grab a big man that blocks shots and rebounds and put him alongside webber and with that philly will still have cap space and they should look into signing bonzi wells....then they will be bak to the finals... guarantee it....
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
WOW.....am going to let u think about what u just said.....NEVER say that again....Big Z is a Big Dumb Truck...hes the slowest moving thing ive ever seen...
okay first of all this is the same guy who was complaining to his team when Rasheed elbowed him in the head and made him bleed...BIG Z huh...he is the biggest guy on the Cavs and that boi is SOFT...Hes a big stiff.... i mean since when do u hear about Big z..he diddnt do anything against detriot...Hes a stiff
i mean i would never do that trade..Big Z is horrible and is so overated..what they need to do is trade sammy d to the hawks who have all that cap room for a nice pik...then they have 2 nice early piks....draft a pg that has nice size that can run the offense and on defense guards the sg to let ai guard the pg and with the other pick grab a big man that blocks shots and rebounds and put him alongside webber and with that philly will still have cap space and they should look into signing bonzi wells....then they will be bak to the finals... guarantee it....
Well, he is not any tough and alongside Webber they could be the slowest frontcourt in history, but he is a much better basketball player than Dalembert will ever be
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Sixers should try to get Jermaine O'Neal, as Pacers are shopping him, according to ISH. When healthy, he has been the Eastern Conference top big man. AI and Jermaine could make Philly a top team in the East
Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketbolero
Sixers should try to get Jermaine O'Neal, as Pacers are shopping him, according to ISH. When healthy, he has been the Eastern Conference top big man. AI and Jermaine could make Philly a top team in the East
only way that works is if indiana takes webb, and that aint happening
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
mln03
I airball my layups

mln03 has an OK reputation so far

if i were Billy King..... I would fire myself.

Funny about Larry Brown being too tight assed for this team, if i remember they did get better every year under him and did make the finals, oh AI got the MVP and oh yeah McKie got 6th man award

Cheeks is soft because AI runs that joint and that is the FO fault. It's like a student in high school telling the teacher what to do and the teacher having no choice but to do it or lose his job. Why do you think LB left the way he did.
mln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: