Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far
Default Where do the Pacers go from here?

All right, the Al Harrington deal is dead. It seems that much of the Pacers' off season was devoted to adding Al, but that did not work out. So, are the Pacers going to stick with what they currently have, or can they make some good moves to add talent before the season begins? The roster currently looks like this:

PG- Tinsley, Jasikevicius, Darrell Armstrong, Orien Greene
SG - Jackson, Marquis Daniels, James White
SF - Granger, Shawne Williams, Rawle Marshall
PF - JO, Maceo Baston, Josh Powell
C - Foster, David Harrison

That team cannot, IMO, make it out of the first round of the playoffs. If they have injury problems they very well may miss the playoffs. So, where do the Pacers go from here? I've got a few possibilities in mind.

1. Bonzi Wells - He's an Indiana guy, and I've heard rumors for the last few years that the front office is interested in him. He's a big SG who scores well inside, rebounds, and defends well. He performed quite well in the playoffs this year against the Spurs. The negatives are that he's had character issues in the past, and he's probably going to want the longest deal possible. The Pacers could possibly get him by using the TE and a draft pick to get the Kings to sign and trade him, but if the Simons do not want to give Al five years, they won't want to give Bonzi that many years either.

2. Reggie Evans - A good, solid player to add to the froncourt. He rebounds very well, and has a decent amount of athleticism. He would add depth to our frontcourt, and could start in the (likely) event that one of our bigs gets injured. I think he could be signed for part of the MLE, so adding him is reasonable, IMO.

3. Pursue a trade - The Pacers could try to add contracts that expire around the same time as JO, Jax, and Daniels. Perhaps Golden State is looking to dump some of its contracts, so Baron Davis or Troy Murphy could be availiable. Rashard Lewis is in the last year of his deal, so maybe the Sonics would part with him for relatively little (Stephen Jackson?).
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
live05
Can barely lace up my sneakers

live05 has an OK reputation so far

Well Bonzi does not have the perimeter scoring that we desperately need so making a move for him will still not be enough but I love his game and would love to see him in a Pacer jersey. We would have to make further changes after to balance the team. How about Jamal Crawford or even Quintin Richardson from the Knicks now that they have too many perimeter players. I dont know how many years these guys have left on their contract tho.
live05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by live05
Well Bonzi does not have the perimeter scoring that we desperately need so making a move for him will still not be enough but I love his game and would love to see him in a Pacer jersey. We would have to make further changes after to balance the team. How about Jamal Crawford or even Quintin Richardson from the Knicks now that they have too many perimeter players. I dont know how many years these guys have left on their contract tho.
ya but Crawdord or Richarson have NOOO defense
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Finn T-Mac has an OK reputation so far

I think the Pacers would need depht to the paint. Yes, there's JO, but what after that. Center position is solid with Foster and Harrison, but there's going to be injuries, so who's going to replace in the paint. It really hurt the Pacers that Harrington didn't sign with them. I believe Granger is going to play great and Jackson and Daniels are holding down sg. If Tinsley stays healthy, pg spot ain't so bad. So my opinion the Pacers really need depht to frontcourt expecially to the PF spot.
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Internet
Kids at the park dunk on me

Internet has an OK reputation so far

If Tinsley breaks down again, they should throw him away and find a new PG.
Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

I think that's what should happen. It might not be a bad idea to add talent at the point now, though. What PGs do you think the Pacers could/should pursue?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

They go to the playoffs whereelse?
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

honestly...for some reason i think the deal with harrington will still go though...the pacers arent a team that lets the media get involved...with the daniels deal, no rumors; the armstong deal, no rumors...the pacers are always quiet in the media and rumors sections...i still think the deal will happen
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
Internet
Kids at the park dunk on me

Internet has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio
I think that's what should happen. It might not be a bad idea to add talent at the point now, though. What PGs do you think the Pacers could/should pursue?

Nobody here will agree with me but Steve Francis would be good, that kid was dynamite in Houston and he is definetley available NY doesnt want him. Hes probably not the playmaker Tinsley is but he can make things happen and is available for 82 games atleast.

I dont know, i love tinsley but hes always hurt, and they have nobody to cover him now that Johnson is gone.

Also Al would be great but 57Mil is too much for him i think, i'm interested to see what happens cos the Pacers are going to deal if the Harrington trade really is dead.
Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

LMAO at stephen jackson for Rashard Lewis. Stephen Jackson has negative value. He's one of those guys you'd need to package with a good young player and accept lesser value to get rid of. He's your's - accept it and move on.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Stephen Jackson has negative value.

I disagree. I think he's comparable to a guy like Ricky Davis, and he probably has roughly the same value as Davis. Jax's contract is not huge (he's owed 6.1 million this upcoming season, and his deal lasts for four more years). If Davis can be traded something like 3 times in the last few seasons, I certainly think that Jackson can be moved rather easily. So the Pacers are certainly not stuck with him, nor does he have negative value.

As for whether he is worth Rashard Lewis, we'll just have to wait and see. Lewis' deal expires this season. He does one thing quite well, and that is score. It's what the Pacers need, IMO, and that's why I suggested him. However, he's not particularly good at much else (like rebounding), and he's bad at some things (defense). I think you're seriously overestimating Lewis' value as well as Jackson's if you think the Sonics should get young talent back as well. If the Sonics want to get youth back, they'll have to take on bad contracts. I don't mean bad contracts that score 17 ppg, I mean bad contracts that don't get off the bench.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far

Nobody would trade Rashard Lewis for Stephen Jackson

Rashard Lewis should be an All-Star but is always over looked because he's always the 2nd star. First with Payton and Desmond Mason in his last season in Seattle, now with Ray Allen and soon Luke Ridnour.

Stephen Jackson is crap. He has a good game, but his attitude is one of the worst in the NBA. Niko is 100% correct about his value. The only team would even be dumb enough to give equal value for him is probably the Knicks.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet
Nobody here will agree with me but Steve Francis would be good, that kid was dynamite in Houston and he is definetley available NY doesnt want him. Hes probably not the playmaker Tinsley is but he can make things happen and is available for 82 games atleast.

I dont know, i love tinsley but hes always hurt, and they have nobody to cover him now that Johnson is gone.
What would Indiana be willing to give up for Francis? Admittedly it wouldn't need to be much, just a a pick or two and a young player.

Although I think Brevin Knight could be a good short term fix. Imagine a package of Knight and Ely for Tinsley and a young guard like James White.

Charlotte puts Brevin Knight in a position where he will get to play, gets a decent back up in Tinsley and bolsters their depth at SG. Indiana gets a reliablie player to run the offense and gets depth at PF.

70 games with Knight is better than 40 games with Tinsley.

Last edited by thejoyofsobe : 08-21-2006 at 06:05 PM.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Rashard Lewis should be an All-Star but is always over looked because he's always the 2nd star. First with Payton and Desmond Mason in his last season in Seattle, now with Ray Allen and soon Luke Ridnour.

So the 2nd option on one of the worst teams over the last 5 years should be an All Star? If that's your standard for an All Star, Jax should easily have made a few. He was the best player on an awful Hawks team, and he's been the #2 and even #1 option at times on the Pacers in the past 2 seasons.

Quote:
Stephen Jackson is crap. He has a good game, but his attitude is one of the worst in the NBA. Niko is 100% correct about his value. The only team would even be dumb enough to give equal value for him is probably the Knicks.

I disagree on a couple of things said here. First, you assume that Isiah Thomas is the only stupid GM out there, and that's simply not the case. Kevin McHale, Elgin Baylor, Chris Mullin, and Mitch Kupchack (sp?) are all routinely taken advantage of.

The other point is Jackson's attitude. Compare him to Ricky Davis, who has been traded several times and even once for a better player (Wally S.). You ignored this point of my reply to niko, and I wonder why.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #15
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

joyofsobe,

Quote:
What would Indiana be willing to give up for Francis? Admittedly it wouldn't need to be much, just a a pick or two and a young player.

I don't think the Pacers would be willing to give up those things. The Pacers seem to be trying to acquire young guys, not give them up. The other issue is Francis' contract. The Pacers seem to be trying to stay under the luxury tax threshold, so I imagine the only deal they'd be willing to make is sending Tinsley, Jackson, and Sarunas for Francis. I don't think the Knicks would do that, since they're overflowing with guys at the 1 and 2.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brevin Knight here, but he's another old guy who would only be a short term fix. The Pacers need to find a long term solution at the point, IMO.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: