Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star
 
thejoyofsobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,178
thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio
I wouldn't mind seeing Brevin Knight here, but he's another old guy who would only be a short term fix. The Pacers need to find a long term solution at the point, IMO.
I agree with you that the Pacers need a long term solution at PG, but that's just the thing. What good point guards are available right now or in the near future? I think the Pacers should consider trying to make this move now and have a stable starter while trying to assess where Sarunas is going to work out. It makes the team better in the short run and Knight only has two years left on his contract. It also gives Indiana a better asset to deal if they attempt to trade for a more long term solution at point guard.
The problem is I think would be Charlotte would be hesitant to acquire Tinsley's five year contract.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
Nygher
Banned
 
Nygher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 300
Nygher has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio
So the 2nd option on one of the worst teams over the last 5 years should be an All Star? If that's your standard for an All Star, Jax should easily have made a few. He was the best player on an awful Hawks team, and he's been the #2 and even #1 option at times on the Pacers in the past 2 seasons.



I disagree on a couple of things said here. First, you assume that Isiah Thomas is the only stupid GM out there, and that's simply not the case. Kevin McHale, Elgin Baylor, Chris Mullin, and Mitch Kupchack (sp?) are all routinely taken advantage of.

The other point is Jackson's attitude. Compare him to Ricky Davis, who has been traded several times and even once for a better player (Wally S.). You ignored this point of my reply to niko, and I wonder why.

First, it's an All-Star team. When did your team's record have anything to do with whether or not you make the squad? Not to mention that only Andrei Kirilenko and Tracy McGrady put up better numbers than Rashard Lewis at small forward in the Western Conferance.

And I ignored your Ricky Davis statement because they are not the same people. Just because it happened for one guy does not mean it would happen for another. Darius Miles has a poor attitude, been traded to Cleveland and continued to have a poor attitude and bad seasons. Traded to Portland and continued with the same old.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #18
scipio
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 113
scipio has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
First, it's an All-Star team. When did your team's record have anything to do with whether or not you make the squad?

Well, let's see, last year 4 Pistons made the team. Generally, players on good teams will get the nod over players on poor teams. That's simply the way it is.

Carmelo Anthony also put up better numbers at the 3 in the West, and he hasn't made one yet (to my knowledge, I could be wrong about that).

Quote:
And I ignored your Ricky Davis statement because they are not the same people. Just because it happened for one guy does not mean it would happen for another. Darius Miles has a poor attitude, been traded to Cleveland and continued to have a poor attitude and bad seasons. Traded to Portland and continued with the same old.

I think that the comparison to Ricky Davis is in fact quite relevant. Davis and Jackson have very similar production. Davis and Jackson have both had questions about their character. Though, in Jackson's favor is the fact that he has contributed to winning teams. Both player also have reasonable contracts. Considering all of this, I think it makes sense that they just might have similar value in a trade.

Darius Miles, OTOH, has never produced well. He's had character issues everywhere he's gone, and he doesn't seem to try at times. Say what you will about Jackson, he at least wants to win and tries quite hard. Miles is also quite overpaid. So, it's quite clear that my comparison of Jackson to Davis is much more apt than your comparison of Miles and Jackson.

I don't know if the Sonics would trade Lewis for Jackson. It might make more sense for them to hold on to him and let the deal expire. They're not going to contend until their bigs develop (if they ever develop), so perhaps the expiring contract is more valuable to them than adding guys who'll play for them for the next 3-4 years. However, if they want to give Ray Allen another opportunity to play in the playoffs while he's in his prime, it might make sense to trade Lewis and get value for him. I think the Pacers could offer a reasonable package for Lewis, though perhaps other teams could do better. Then again, maybe the Pacers would not want to take on another expiring guy like Lewis and risk getting burned like they did with Peja.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #19
Internet
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 197
Internet has an OK reputation so far
Default

The problem I think is that the Pacers need a 2nd all star calliber player to help out Oneal. The difficult thing is, they would probably have to part with Oneal to get one. Of course if Ron hadnt stuffed them around they wouldnt be in this situation at all.

They need help at the point, I suggested Francis because he could be that 2nd guy on the team who can average 20pts and is available, but I like the suggestion of Brevin Knight cos he is sold and is available too. Chris Duhon will be available too since his playing time will be cut.

SG/SF they are set with Jacko, Daniels and Granger.
PF they are very strong.
C is weak, I think they should talk to Portland about Magloire since they obviously dont need him.

Just my opinion but the Pacers still look pretty good I think.
Internet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #20
live05
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
live05 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Jackson does not have a bad attitude. He is a good team player that wants to win. Unfortunately he is put in a position that he is not fit for i.e. be the top scoring option so he gets carried away a little lol. He is a solid role player and should best be used like he was in San Antonio. So yes he is comparable to Ricky who is a similar type of player ... but Rashard Lewis I dont think so.

What this team really needs is a perimeter player that can perform in the clutch (keyword: clutch). Dumping the ball inside at crunch time usually doesnt work as bigs get jumped and there are no whistles. I dont think Brevin Knight or Francis is the answer. Especially not Francis (He will lead the league in missed circus shots!) Every successful team has that clutch shooter who can take over games. Who not only takes the big shots but makes them. We need that type of player. I really think Jamal Crawford is still very under-rated. Yes he was immature before and yes he could not play D but he really improved alot this past season and I dont know if you guys watched many knick games but when Larry had him on the floor at crunch time he did real good. He should be good for 20 4 and 3 every night and will take the big shots when needed. Now I'm not saying hes Reggie but Indiana still has not found a replacement for him and I think Jamal would fit nicely.
live05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY
 
PacerRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conseco Field House
Posts: 2,654
PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
honestly...for some reason i think the deal with harrington will still go though...the pacers arent a team that lets the media get involved...with the daniels deal, no rumors; the armstong deal, no rumors...the pacers are always quiet in the media and rumors sections...i still think the deal will happen
told you guys it would still happen http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2556933
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #22
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer
 
Finn T-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 575
Finn T-Mac has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
I think the Pacers would need depht to the paint. Yes, there's JO, but what after that. Center position is solid with Foster and Harrison, but there's going to be injuries, so who's going to replace in the paint. It really hurt the Pacers that Harrington didn't sign with them. I believe Granger is going to play great and Jackson and Daniels are holding down sg. If Tinsley stays healthy, pg spot ain't so bad. So my opinion the Pacers really need depht to frontcourt expecially to the PF spot.

Well, Harrington (or his agent) really don't know what to do. Looks like Harrington is still coming to Pacers. Read it in nba.com. So that's my post earlier in this thread, and I wanted to continue. If Harrington is really signing, so the only problem would be the pg spot. Tisley is question and armstrong is old and jasikevicius ain't a starter, (but has the potential to be great pg). So if Jasikevicius doesn't so his potential and Tinsley is hurt...better hope he is not or better trade him for solid pg.
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #23
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY
 
PacerRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conseco Field House
Posts: 2,654
PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet
Nobody here will agree with me but Steve Francis would be good, that kid was dynamite in Houston and he is definetley available NY doesnt want him. Hes probably not the playmaker Tinsley is but he can make things happen and is available for 82 games atleast.

I dont know, i love tinsley but hes always hurt, and they have nobody to cover him now that Johnson is gone.

Also Al would be great but 57Mil is too much for him i think, i'm interested to see what happens cos the Pacers are going to deal if the Harrington trade really is dead.
ya i wouldnt mind seeing Francis, he fits right into the Pacers new up-tempo style of play. For sure Pacers arent dont dealing because they are WAY over the roster limit, they have like 3 players that they need to drop or trade. If we can trade Powell and Tinsely for Francis I would think its a good trade. Francis can shot the 3, since we lacking it, and play some defense and even break down the other teams defense....anyone know what kind of contract Francis has??? its not like Tinsely has a great contract!!
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #24
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY
 
PacerRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conseco Field House
Posts: 2,654
PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
ya i wouldnt mind seeing Francis, he fits right into the Pacers new up-tempo style of play. For sure Pacers arent dont dealing because they are WAY over the roster limit, they have like 3 players that they need to drop or trade. If we can trade Powell and Tinsely for Francis I would think its a good trade. Francis can shot the 3, since we lacking it, and play some defense and even break down the other teams defense....anyone know what kind of contract Francis has??? its not like Tinsely has a great contract!!
ok i just went on ESPN and tried out the trade scenario...and this trade is NOT happening....Francis is to make over $15 mill next year and Jamaal is to make $5 Mill...no way Francis is going to Pacers with a contrat like that
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #25
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman
 
mavsfan4zindagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,656
mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far
Default

The Pacers are set and are looking pretty good right now. They're easily a top 5 team in the East and should be able to make some noise come playoff time.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #26
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star
 
thejoyofsobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,178
thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
The Pacers are set and are looking pretty good right now. They're easily a top 5 team in the East and should be able to make some noise come playoff time.
only if Tinsley doesn't miss his obligatory 40 games near the end of the season.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #27
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,857
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

The good thing about indiana is they have many young players but they are also very experienced under a great coach (a top 5 coach). and I think they will go as far as the ECF because teams like chicago wont have had as much experience as indiana. I think Indiana can beat chicago and match up well with the heat.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy