Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
bulls0704
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bulls0704 has an OK reputation so far
Default what was popovich so upset about?

I was watching the game but I had the volume turned down. What was he so hot about at the end of the first quarter? Or was it just Crawford trying to start something again?
bulls0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
PCB Spurs Fan
I brick open layups

PCB Spurs Fan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: what was popovich so upset about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls0704
I was watching the game but I had the volume turned down. What was he so hot about at the end of the first quarter? Or was it just Crawford trying to start something again?

I think it was double fouls on the delay of game on both teams. And Crawford put his hands on Pop and that set him off and the debate continued on and Crawford T'd him up.

I do know that Pop has decided to take the call up to Stu Jackson:

By Mike Monroe
mikemonroe@express-news.net

NEW ORLEANS — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Tuesday he would contact NBA vice-president of basketball operations Stu Jackson about what he believed was an incorrect interpretation of the rules by referee Joey Crawford near the end of the first quarter of Tuesday’s game.
Both teams were called for delaying the game by Crawford while the Hornets’ Melvin Ely was at the free-throw line with 10.5 seconds left in the period. Hornets players Bonzi Wells and David West went back and forth across the lane trying to decide where to line up, and the Spurs adjusted each time. When Crawford called a delay of game on both teams, Popovich protested.

His protest continued between the quarters, and he was given a technical foul by Crawford, who appeared to poke his finger in Popovich’s chest during the argument.

“I believe the official was incorrect. We’ve gone through this before a couple of years ago in our Sacramento series, and it happened to be with Bonzi (Wells). The team that’s shooting the free throw has to make the first choice about where they’re gong to be placed. So the delay of game should be on that team, not on both.”
PCB Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
bulls0704

Ok thanks. I was waiting for Popovich to break Crawford's finger when he touched put it into his chest. I am so sick of arrogant officials thinking the game is more about them sometimes.

As you can tell by my name I am a Bulls fan but growing up in NW Indiana I am a big Popovich fan and love his coaching style and the way his teams play and handle themselves. I don't know if the Spurs will make it this year. Some of their age seems to be showing with some guys and is causing some match-up problems with the Hornets. You never know though. Maybe they can pull it out. This series and the Jazz/Lakers series are the best matched series of the playoffs so far and I look to see another great series in the Western Conference finals. Good luck on the rest of the series Spurs fans.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
ScolaFan
Spurs Forum Moderator

ScolaFan has decent reputationScolaFan has decent reputation

I thought Pop was gonna kick crawford's azz!!!
ScolaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
bulls0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScolaFan
I thought Pop was gonna kick crawford's azz!!!

I did too. It actually would have been nice. I am not a fan of Crawford at all. He laughs at guys after some of his calls and after what he pulled last year I am sure all Spurs fans would love to see that. I guess Popovich didn't want to sink to Crawford's level. Oh well maybe if it wasn't the playoffs and if he wasn't worried about the suspension.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
ScolaFan
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls0704
I did too. It actually would have been nice. I am not a fan of Crawford at all. He laughs at guys after some of his calls and after what he pulled last year I am sure all Spurs fans would love to see that. I guess Popovich didn't want to sink to Crawford's level. Oh well maybe if it wasn't the playoffs and if he wasn't worried about the suspension.

Yeah... but it still would have been awesome....
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
PCB Spurs Fan
I brick open layups

PCB Spurs Fan has an OK reputation so far

That would have been great to see, but you are right Pop just wouldn't sink to that level. Anyway here's an article on the outcome of Pop's complaint:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....ffb5e890.html

Split decision : The NBA’s basketball operations department on Wednesday reviewed the double delay of game call made by referee Joey Crawford that so incensed Spurs coach Gregg Popovich in Tuesday’s Game 5 of the Spurs-Hornets Western Conference semifinal series at New Orleans Arena.

The result: A split decision.

Popovich received a technical foul from Crawford after arguing the validity of the call, made with 10.5 seconds left in the first quarter of the Hornets’ 101-79 victory.

An NBA spokesperson said executive vice-president for basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed that Popovich’s interpretation of the rule about foul line access was correct, but that Crawford was within his rights to make a judgment call that players from both teams had contributed to the delay of the game.

And by the way welcome to our board! We have a nice bunch that post here regularly and ScolaFan is our moderator!
PCB Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
ScolaFan
Spurs Forum Moderator

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: