Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Greatest console of all time?

What do you think it is? I'm going to say my top 3 is:

1. Super Nintendo

2. Nintendo 64

3. Playstation 2

Competed with: Sega Genesis

SNES had countless classics back in the day. Chrono Trigger, FF3, Secret of Mana, Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong Country, StarFox and more. Anybody who knows gaming has to have SNES in their top 3.

Competed with: Playstation, Sega Saturn

N64 was classic too. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, No Mercy, Cruisin' World, Smash Bros, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Wrestlemania 2000, DK64, Rainbow Six, Turok, Duke Nukem 64, Megaman 64 and Resident Evil 2. N64 took gaming to a whole nother level with 3D gaming as well as 4 controllers and a memory card and rumble pack.

Competed with: Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast

PS2 has arguably the greatest game library of any console in history. Oh man where do I start... GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 10, DBZ Budokai and Tenkaichi series, Madden, NBA Live, NBA 2k, Smackdown, Need for Speed, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty 2/3, College Hoops, Devil May Cry 1/2/3, God of War, Guitar Hero 3, Killzone, Mortal Kombat, Rainbow Six 3, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Resident Evil 4, Sly, Soul Calibur, Tekken 4 and 5, Tony Hawk, and many more. Free online, many add-ons and plays DVDs. Graphics weren't quite as good as Xbox's, but its library gives it the edge.

Last edited by Richie2k6 : 05-16-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Greatest console of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
What do you think it is? I'm going to say my top 3 is:

1. Super Nintendo

2. Nintendo 64

3. Playstation 2

Competed with: Sega Genesis

SNES had countless classics back in the day. Chrono Trigger, FF3, Secret of Mana, Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong Country, StarFox and more. Anybody who knows gaming has to have SNES in their top 3.

Competed with: Playstation, Sega Saturn

N64 was classic too. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, No Mercy, Cruisin' World, Smash Bros, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Wrestlemania 2000, DK64, Rainbow Six, Turok, Duke Nukem 64, Megaman 64 and Resident Evil 2. N64 took gaming to a whole nother level with 3D gaming as well as 4 controllers and a memory card and rumble pack.

Competed with: Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast

PS2 has arguably the greatest game library of any console in history. Oh man where do I start... GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 10, DBZ Budokai and Tenkaichi series, Madden, NBA Live, NBA 2k, Smackdown, Need for Speed, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty 2/3, College Hoops, Devil May Cry 1/2/3, God of War, Guitar Hero 3, Killzone, Mortal Kombat, Rainbow Six 3, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Resident Evil 4, Sly, Soul Calibur, Tekken 4 and 5, Tony Hawk, and many more. Free online, many add-ons and plays DVDs. Graphics weren't quite as good as Xbox's, but its library gives it the edge.

Probably PS2. Super Nintendo could give it a run for its money in terms of the number of great games, but the PS2's graphics totally make it a non issue. The PS2 has probably as many great games as SNES and it's a way more updated system.

Personally I think PS2 still has a lot of life in it. It can't compete graphics wise with 360 or PS3, but the library is so huge and there are such great games, that there are bound to be games out there you haven't played yet that are fantastic.

I have a strong list of games I haven't played yet that I intend to get or already have for my PS2 and have yet to play, including:

The entire Prince of Persia series (I'm at the end of Two Thrones)
God of War 2 (have it, just haven't started it)
Resident Evil 4 (same, have it, haven't played it)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (rented it. Have it for gamecube, not ps2)
Okami (rented it, interesting RPG style game)
Tenchu: Wrath of Shadows (not for everyone)

I would also like to try one of the RPG makers, and possibly check out the GTA "stories" line. Shadow of Colossus is supposed to be good, and its at $20.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

PS2 for me
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Probably PS2. Super Nintendo could give it a run for its money in terms of the number of great games, but the PS2's graphics totally make it a non issue. The PS2 has probably as many great games as SNES and it's a way more updated system.

Personally I think PS2 still has a lot of life in it. It can't compete graphics wise with 360 or PS3, but the library is so huge and there are such great games, that there are bound to be games out there you haven't played yet that are fantastic.

I have a strong list of games I haven't played yet that I intend to get or already have for my PS2 and have yet to play, including:

The entire Prince of Persia series (I'm at the end of Two Thrones)
God of War 2 (have it, just haven't started it)
Resident Evil 4 (same, have it, haven't played it)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (rented it. Have it for gamecube, not ps2)
Okami (rented it, interesting RPG style game)
Tenchu: Wrath of Shadows (not for everyone)

I would also like to try one of the RPG makers, and possibly check out the GTA "stories" line. Shadow of Colossus is supposed to be good, and its at $20.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Mathius

Awesome game, I loved it. It's a big naive and all, but very fun and entertaining to play.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

T.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this board

Has to be N64 for me just because i haven't had the other 2.
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
evinecz
Banned

evinecz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.RAPS
Has to be N64 for me just because i haven't had the other 2.
You have'nt had PS2? The greatest console of all time?
evinecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

your a dumb*** if u think nintedo is better than an xbox 360, or ps3.

honestly, think about it
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Greatest console…

AKA

Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonislegend
your a dumb*** if u think nintedo is better than an xbox 360, or ps3.

honestly, think about it
You must be either A) 13 years old, or B) Don't know how to appreciate the classics. Possibly even both. Graphics freak, huh. That's the only reason I can think of as to why anyone would say PS3 > SNES.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Every console I'd ever own rankings:

SNES - Only own 3 games ever for this system, super mario world, super scope 6, and sf2, early childhood memories has to be at top.
PS2 - Best library of games
Xbox - modded capability was insane
Dreamcast - underrated console, I'm a big fighter fan and these newer consoles blow in that department. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is probably my favorite game.
Wii- Cheap and fun, and I didn't have a gamecube so playing some of the oldies.
360 - Nice games but not much replay value, I beat them once and move onto the next. Probably has to do with growing up than anything...

Last edited by bigkingsfan : 05-17-2008 at 10:25 AM.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

I loved Dreamcast too. Never owned one, always played at my cousin's house. Everyone had Sonic Adventure, great game.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Greatest console…

AKA

It's just not. I mean there were hundreds of great games for it, but it still can't make up the graphics edge the PS2 has. If PS2 had no good games for it (PS3 currently has what ? 2 that aren't sports games?) then you might have an argument, but there is too big a generation gap there for NES to make up. PS2 just has too many quality games out there AND its backwards compatible, so you can basically include the hundreds of good games that were on PSone.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

PS2.

always loved the games selection
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
It's just not. I mean there were hundreds of great games for it, but it still can't make up the graphics edge the PS2 has. If PS2 had no good games for it (PS3 currently has what ? 2 that aren't sports games?) then you might have an argument, but there is too big a generation gap there for NES to make up. PS2 just has too many quality games out there AND its backwards compatible, so you can basically include the hundreds of good games that were on PSone.

Mathius

For me, the NES has the most definitive library of titles. Todays franchises are evolutions of what started on the NES. NES had games that offered substance and playablity. I couldn't care less about graphics since I don't play my games on pause…

PS2 ranks in my top 5 for sure… for its generation, it was THE BEST — I thought Xbox was overrated, but then I don't fancy western style games.

All in all, I have more FUN playing my NES 20 years later. I cannot see myself having that level of fun on the PS2 with a majority of its games. BUT there are games that I will enjoy for a lifetime on PS2…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

For me it is pretty easy.

Nes is clearly #1. It isn't even close. Best games, period.

Snes is clearly #2. Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Mario Kart amongst others, games are just better than anything today, even if you include superior graphics of other games. Still haven't played a better racing game than Unirally or Mario Kart.

It is a crapshoot after that. N64 has Mario Kart and Goldeneye. PS2 has a great library. PS has a great library. Xbox is the best media center yet and has a pretty decent library. So far it sure isnt the 360 or PS3. Wi is ahead of both of those and still not in contention either. Probably is the PS2 next if for no other reason than that it can play most good PS games anyway.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: