Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #31
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Filipinos are not ASians. they are miscellaneous.

once i was talkin to Filipino classmates and called them Asian and they started to bittch at me.


jeez.. talk about sensitive.

I've had the same experience. Me and a few people were outside our Math Class and we were studying for the upcoming tests. This Philipinese chick syas " i think this test is gonna be hard" and I told her that she shouldn't worry b/c she's Asian and will pass easily. She then interupted my study and was yelling at me how she's not Asian, but she's Philipino and was giving me a short history of the Philipinese.

Pssssh, that's like me getting mad for someone calling me an American, b/c I'm actually Albanian, and yelling at them how we Albanians have tried to keep our ethicity for centuries and blah blah blah.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #32
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default re:

to me:


you have whites (then several ethnic subdivisinos if the insist on it)
Latinos (mexicans + south Americans)
African Americans
Asians (the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans)
Miscellaneous (hindus, muslims, "brown Asians", Aborigines, Inuits, Native Americans, etc...)
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #33
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,496
Default

wtf with this misc. thingy hahaha Im Filipino and were Asians period. Heck our country is in south east asia. This argument always comes up once and for all we aint south islanders, we aint misc. Were asian live with it. Hahaha

Oh the ff. are asian also Chinese, Korean,Japanese, Indian's (bollywood ones ) Vietnamese, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Thai's, Cambodians, heck some russians the ones near Siberia, Mongolians, Tibetians and the people from the Arab States even if there normally middle eastern. Just check the asian games by region even Lebanon and Kazahstan are asians.

Oh VC Muslim aint a race islam is a religion, Arabs are the race.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #34
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default re:

thanks for politically correcting me EJ
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #35
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cavs Bandwagon
Posts: 13,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
to me:


you have whites (then several ethnic subdivisinos if the insist on it)
Latinos (mexicans + south Americans)
African Americans
Asians (the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans)
Miscellaneous (hindus, muslims, "brown Asians", Aborigines, Inuits, Native Americans, etc...)

Yikes...who are you dude? David Duke?

only African Americans, what about Africans?

miscellanous??? Dude wtf are you thinking? people cant help but catch feelings after being categorized and then sent to the 'misc. bin'.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,343
Default

Yeah I was thinking sort of the same thing.....

Quote:
jeez.. talk about sensitive.

People will get mad if you take that attitude..

"jeez man, Asian, Miscellaneous, what the big difference?"

should be quiet if you arent sure of what you are saying
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #37
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default re:

sorry im not a very liberal person.


bad experiences in new york city.


i go around being polite and nice to everyone and being friendly.



a lot of people are cool, but whenever i have to go to the South Bronx, or Spanish Harlem, Washington Heights, or anywhere in Brooklyn, i instantly get ridiculed and people across the street say : "heyy look at that white boy. he better get the F out of here before we F him up."





people have accosted me several times before. ive never been mugged though since I never carry much money in my pockets anyway, and I'm in good enough shape to defend myself.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #38
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cavs Bandwagon
Posts: 13,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
wtf with this misc. thingy hahaha Im Filipino and were Asians period. Heck our country is in south east asia. This argument always comes up once and for all we aint south islanders, we aint misc. Were asian live with it. Hahaha

Oh the ff. are asian also Chinese, Korean,Japanese, Indian's (bollywood ones ) Vietnamese, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Thai's, Cambodians, heck some russians the ones near Siberia, Mongolians, Tibetians and the people from the Arab States even if there normally middle eastern. Just check the asian games by region even Lebanon and Kazahstan are asians.

Oh VC Muslim aint a race islam is a religion, Arabs are the race.

In all fairness though,

'Asia' is an Occidental concept that could be broken down into 2, 3 or even 4 continents. Over half of the world lives in Asia and lumping everyone into one group is a result of an outdated Euro-centric view of the world which most Asians don't agree with anyways.

Culturally and ethnically it is more realistic in these terms:

Northeast Asia (China Korea Japan Taiwan HK)
Southeast Asia (Phi, Thai, Indo...)
South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh...)
The Middle East (Iran, Iraq, SA...)

*but you could group NE Asia with SE Asia and group the Middle East with South Asia if need be.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #39
jody
High school junior varsity star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 431
Default

asians suck at basketball, it's true. at least the east asians try hard.
jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #40
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
Default

Quote:
Culturally and ethnically it is more realistic in these terms:

Northeast Asia (China Korea Japan Taiwan HK)
Southeast Asia (Phi, Thai, Indo...)
South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh...)
The Middle East (Iran, Iraq, SA...)
That's how anyone with a brain views things anyways. Nobody calls an Iraqi "asian" even though I'm pretty sure they're in the continent of Asia. Also don't forget Eurasia, which is Russia and stuff.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #41
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year
 
tontoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,428
Default

The real challenge is to find an Asian who can competently drive a car.

Seriously though I have played pickup games for years and only seen a handful of Asians who were good players.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #42
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
In all fairness though,

'Asia' is an Occidental concept that could be broken down into 2, 3 or even 4 continents. Over half of the world lives in Asia and lumping everyone into one group is a result of an outdated Euro-centric view of the world which most Asians don't agree with anyways.

Culturally and ethnically it is more realistic in these terms:

Northeast Asia (China Korea Japan Taiwan HK)
Southeast Asia (Phi, Thai, Indo...)
South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh...)
The Middle East (Iran, Iraq, SA...)

*but you could group NE Asia with SE Asia and group the Middle East with South Asia if need be.


The Middle East is considered Southwest Asia.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #43
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
That's how anyone with a brain views things anyways. Nobody calls an Iraqi "asian" even though I'm pretty sure they're in the continent of Asia. Also don't forget Eurasia, which is Russia and stuff.



Continentally speaking, Middle Eastern people are part of Asia, but you're right, no one from the Middle East is going to call themselves Asian.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #44
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BANitentiary
Posts: 978
Default

Title of thread is misleading but consider the source.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #45
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default re:

[this message was left blank at the request of Voice of Reason]
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy