Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.
Default Pick #13

If this isn't "okay" to post here, I apologize, but I wanted Blazer fans' input rather than other "draft junkees" like me - IF we end up keeping the #13 pick, who do you realistically see us taking?

Right now, I'm kind of interested in JaValle McGee, the 7'0 PF/Center, sophomore out of Nevada, he IS really skinny, but he's also very quick - almost looks like a taller Travis Outlaw running the floor.

His complete opposite of course, is Kevin Love - my Blazer friends say I'm crazy even thinking of him - one doesn't think he'll be available - the other hates UCLA and doesn't think Love is worth a #13 pick.

Thoughts???
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Pick #13

I'm pretty sure the Blazers will chase more of a PG type person than another big man. Sure it'd be nice to have 3 good young pf/c players, but blazers are doing OK up front, and that lil backcourt help that roy would get is nice

13. Portland Nicolas Batum 6'8 SG/SF France NBA Comparison: Joe Johnson

The Blazers have Oden, Aldridge, and Roy as building blocks. All they need is a point guard and small forward. Outlaw has been solid since returning, but they need that next big thing. There's no other point in this draft that warrrants a lottery pick so they go with their other hole which is the small forward spot. Batum has the tools to be an elite player. An excellent athlete, great handles, unselfish, a top notch shooter, and his length makes him a potential top flight defender. This team revolves around Roy and has had success even without their #1 pick in Oden. If only they can find a way to move up to the #1 pick to get Rose. Possibly this pick along with Jack and a future first round pick . Riley wants to move down to take a center and gets a point guard in the process. Rose, Roy, Outlaw, Aldridge, and Oden? One can only dream.

That lil bit taken from http://members.aol.com/miltshakke/mockdraft_3.htm

Last edited by Maniak : 05-17-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
If only they can find a way to move up to the #1 pick to get Rose. Possibly this pick along with Jack and a future first round pick . Riley wants to move down to take a center and gets a point guard in the process. Rose, Roy, Outlaw, Aldridge, and Oden? One can only dream.

That lil bit taken from http://members.aol.com/miltshakke/mockdraft_3.htm[/u]

That wouldnt even be fair to the rest of the League.

I would Like Batum at #13 though. We could leave him over in France for a few years and wait for him to develop some more. He seems like he could be a Rudy Gay type player somewhere down the road.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Westbrook is a guy I often hear as a guy that would fit in well. I don't know much about college ball though, so for me its just a matter of what I have read.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

If available Westbrook is the pick. His strong defensive presence tied in with not needing to handle the ball all the time fits well with the team need for perimeter defense and allowing Roy to continue handling the ball (when he works best). However, I don't think Westbrook will be around at 13.

If there are no trades we don't need big men since we will have Oden and Aldridge starting and Pryz and Frye off the bench.

Really need a defensive PG or a nice SF.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Deffenitly Russel Westbrook out of UCLA...if he's not available then I'd trade the pick unless Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph or Eric Gordon slip down to 13 in the draft which I doubt will happen.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Interesting - this is the first time I've heard of Blazers fans being interested in either Westbrook or Batum........any other input for or against taking a McGee (whose father is a former Blazer pick) or taking Kevin Love?????
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I know nothing about McGee. I've heard Love is an egotistical d*ck. Most of the word though is from my younger brother and his friends who played against him in high school, so I'm not sure if it is just towards his opponents, but he does have this demeanor about him that certainly doesn't suggest he fits the Blazer culture. Other than that, he is a smaller version of Brad Miller that I wouldn't mind putting as our backup to Aldridge if Frye isn't in our long term future.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerjimmy
any other input for or against taking a McGee (whose father is a former Blazer pick) or taking Kevin Love?????

I'm not sure why you are intestested in big men. It would appear that the Blazers are set in that deparment. Where they need support is PG and SF. If they draft another big man someone either does a lot of sitting (which will affect team chemistry) or is traded (for what?).

Love will be at worst a good journeyman player and at best outstanding and he will want to start. But who sits? Aldridge? Not likely.

Of course Pritchard will probably suprise us all and get a top three at the lottery drawing tonight!
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Myth

Ok Blazer fans, time to cross our fingers!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Ok Blazer fans, time to cross our fingers!

We wont need to worry about the #13 pick.

Cuz we gettin #1!!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Since it seems like almost all you Blazer fans are interested in Westbrook, would you be interested in Jack + #13 for #7 so you can get Westbrook guaranteed?
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Since it seems like almost all you Blazer fans are interested in Westbrook, would you be interested in Jack + #13 for #7 so you can get Westbrook guaranteed?

I would be. We could maybe even get Bayless or Gordon at #7.

I think our GM will def be trading the #13 to either move up or get us a good pg.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #14
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
I would be. We could maybe even get Bayless or Gordon at #7.

I think our GM will def be trading the #13 to either move up or get us a good pg.

If that's the case, we need to contact our GM's asap , although I'd think twice if it was Jerryd and might ask for your latest 2nd rounder hehe. But I think it helps out both squads greatly, you get the guy you want correctly, we get ourselves a decent point and can get Budinger or someone at #13.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #15
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich

I think I'd be ok with that. I think something else would have to come in return to the Blazers to make the salaries work since picks don't count for any money in trades.

Edit: There is a lot of talk about if the Bulls take Rose, they will be looking to unload Kirk. I don't have the time right now, but I'm curious what packages we can give up to get him as our starting PG.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: