Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Default NBA Trade Scenario: Knicks & Raptors (Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down)

New York Knicks: David Lee / Quentin Richardson
Toronto Raptors: Andrea Bargnani / Anthony Parker

Well 1st, before I get hazed, YES I realize the Knicks have PF Zach Randolph and C Eddy Curry but, I also realize Mike D'antoni is the new head coach. Here's the proposal which to me is a win-win for both sides (which actually improved both teams on ESPN Trade Machine Beta).

Knicks receive:Andrea Bargnani

Bargnani is a legit seven foot PF w/ 3 pt. range who can stretch the defense while also providing the versatility of playing at the SF position to allow PF Zach Randolph and C Eddy Curry to stay on the floor, although the downside would be giving up overall team speed. In D'antoni's offense, he would flourish moreso than Lee and would be an upgrade for that particular style of play. He has great potential in this system and all he needs is time and confidence, not to mention that in Toronto, he and PF Chris Bosh practically have the same skillset, only Bosh is better as of now.
Parker, who still can contribute would also provide some positive veteran qualities to the team, and of course his contract expires after the 2009 season for some flexibility.

Toronto Raptors receive:
David Lee

David Lee can, and will provide what it seems Bargnani will not provide the Raptors, REBOUNDING. Let's face it, Lee just will not get a fair amount of time to develop in NY imo, and in D'antoni's system, he's somewhat of a liability since his main asset is crashing the boards and not shooting neccessarily. He just doesn't have the range to flourish in that system. In Toronto though, Lee playing along side PF Chris Bosh would be a very nice thing, a beautiful thing since Lee doesn't command the ball and would hustle, finish plays, as well as rebound and defend. YES the Raps would have a "small frontcourt" w/ neither he or Bosh being 7 ft. but the effort would make up for lack of size.
Q-Rich still has some game left but that contract is really steep and also his injury history makes me uncertain about him. He's an x-factor in the sense that he can score and he can play when healthy. His contract is worth the risk to get David Lee but only because you're getting Lee and the Knicks sorely need to cut payroll although they may miss his 3pt shooting ability which is being replaced w/ Bargs.

Summary: I think this would work well for both teams involved and neither team would essentially miss the traded players and I would give this trade the "Thumbs Up".

Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Last edited by WillyJakk : 05-16-2008 at 04:23 PM.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
stewen12
Banned

Default Re: NBA Trade Scenario: Knicks & Raptors (Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down)

I trade would be absolutely terrible for the Raptors. They give up Bargnani for David Lee. Bargnani is better. And Anthony Parker for Q Rich. Parker is better and didnt Q Rich like retire or something like that
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

change Q to Crawford and to be fair AP to Calderon

F- Lee
F- Bosh
F- Moon
G- Crawford
G- Ford

maybe?

i dont knooooow
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
tsforthrees
there, there

i think the bargnani for lee part is somewhat intriguing, slightly favoring new york, but the qrich for parker completely rips off the raptors. thumbs down
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12
I trade would be absolutely terrible for the Raptors. They give up Bargnani for David Lee. Bargnani is better. And Anthony Parker for Q Rich. Parker is better and didnt Q Rich like retire or something like that
Your analysis leaves a bit to be desired. Bargs is not in David Lee's class. The Knicks should not do this because David is probably their most coveted trade asset, depending on what happens in the lottery. They should be able to get something much better than Bargs, who would get eaten up by New Yorkers for being a bust.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12

I haven't seen anything about Q-Rich retiring, as a matter of fact they were talking how D'antoni system would revive him. As far as Bargs being better than Lee, it depends on the system and that's why I made the thread since each one would benefit more from the other teams style of play. Parker and Richardson I thought was a wash w/ Parker being better defensively and Q being better offensively.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Your analysis leaves a bit to be desired. Bargs is not in David Lee's class. The Knicks should not do this because David is probably their most coveted trade asset, depending on what happens in the lottery. They should be able to get something much better than Bargs, who would get eaten up by New Yorkers for being a bust.

I'm not sure #1 pick Bargs is quite a bust just yet, the same way David Lee could seemingly be overrated since he was a 2nd Rd draft pick who has flourished but not really developed into anything more than a hustling / rebounding / finishing type of player.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Bargnani blows. How does a 7 footer shoot under 40%?

Not to mention he can't rebound or play defense. I guess he fits D'Antoni's system, but trading David Lee who is almost guarnteed double/double would be dumb -- real dumb. And Having a front court of Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph and Bargs would be the softest thing to hit the NBA. There's probably college teams that could post up on these chump. Shyt Lisa Leslie wouldn't even be intimated.

Knicks have to find a way to move Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry first before adding another softie on the this team.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

I would say this trade is close but a thumbs down

Knicks are under D'Antoni now, in which Richardson has played very well for him when he was back with the Suns, with his 3 point shooting and finishing ability, I don't see the Knicks would want to part with him.

David Lee for Bargnani is more of an intriguing point, but I would still turn it down if I were the Knicks. Lee is a hustle type player, great under the run and gun style, but Bargnani is there to stretch the floor, in which He'd be perfect to play the PF position.

If Knicks didn't have to part away with Richardson, this would be an total upgrade for them.
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Kind of a pointless trade for both teams.

The Raptors don't need Andrea Bargnani but they also don't need David Lee. Lee would be a wasted asset on the Raptors since he is a PF and nothing else and the Raptors are sorta set at PF. Besides, Lee is better than Bargnani so why would the Knicks do it? Just unload Randolph for ANYTHING and give that PF spot to Lee.

The Raptors sure as hell don't need another dumb perimeter gunner in Richardson either. They can just re-sign that dumbass Delfino for a much cheaper price and he'd give them what Richardson could.

The Knicks and Raptors are bad trading partners. The Knicks have nothing that would benefit the Raptors other than that lottery pick. And that lottery pick is worth more than any player on the Raptors other than Chris Bosh so it's not moving either.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Bargnani blows. How does a 7 footer shoot under 40%?

Not to mention he can't rebound or play defense. I guess he fits D'Antoni's system, but trading David Lee who is almost guarnteed double/double would be dumb -- real dumb. And Having a front court of Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph and Bargs would be the softest thing to hit the NBA. There's probably college teams that could post up on these chump. Shyt Lisa Leslie wouldn't even be intimated.

Knicks have to find a way to move Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry first before adding another softie on the this team.

I think it's going to be difficult, though not impossible to trade Zach Randolph so that's why I made the proposal because it seems that David Lee has "waited his turn" long enough and needs to go somewhere where he'll be fully utilized and appreciated because it won't be w/ the Knicks.
He's shown what he could do and prior to this season the Knicks ditch PF Channing Frye (which I thought they were clearing the way for Lee) but instead they brought in Z-Bo and now D'antoni.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
I'm not sure #1 pick Bargs is quite a bust just yet, the same way David Lee could seemingly be overrated since he was a 2nd Rd draft pick who has flourished but not really developed into anything more than a hustling / rebounding / finishing type of player.

Actually he was a 1st round pick.
As for the trade itself, it doesn't really make sense for either team. So thumbs down.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Dasher
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
David Lee was a first round draft pick, and has skills that have transferred to the NBA. Bargs is supposed to be a sniper and he has yet to consistently show the ability to light it up.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:

I think it's going to be difficult, though not impossible to trade Zach Randolph so that's why I made the proposal because it seems that David Lee has "waited his turn" long enough and needs to go somewhere where he'll be fully utilized and appreciated because it won't be w/ the Knicks.
He's shown what he could do and prior to this season the Knicks ditch PF Channing Frye (which I thought they were clearing the way for Lee) but instead they brought in Z-Bo and now D'antoni.

I think if the Knicks could get a bigman that can block shots, score down low, rebound and defend alongside Bargs, it wouldn't be that bad of a deal. Maybe like a healthy Kenyon Martin? Although I would want TJ Ford (assuming we don't get a PG in the draft) instead of Parker and you could swap Q-rich with Crawford.

But in the end it would just be lateral moves made by both teams. Knicks would be a bit better I suppose.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Actually he was a 1st round pick.
As for the trade itself, it doesn't really make sense for either team. So thumbs down.

Oops you're right. Knicks 2nd 1st Rd pick. My memory failed me. :)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: