Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default 23 Cent Pizza for OH natives (basketball related, oddly enough)

So it all started with this story here:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...100.xml&coll=2

Basically, to paraphrase, some genius who was involved with Papa Johns pizza in Washington D.C. had these "Crybaby 23" t-shirts made up, sponsored by Papa Johns.

The shirts were worn during Game 6 of the Cavs/Wizards game in Washington. Cavs fans caught wind of it, and a flurry of phone calls and negative publicity has assailed the Papa Johns restaurants here in OH.

Papa Johns corporate office claims they did not authorize the shirts and have no idea yet where they originated.

Here's the best part for those of us who live in Cleveland:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...030.xml&coll=2

This Thursday, Papa Johns will be offering large, one topping pizzas for 23 cents to more than 40 different OH locations.

Here's a short list of stores in the Cleveland area:

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/inde...earchLocation=

No, I don't work for Papa Johns, I just happen to live in Cleveland, and saw this in the Plain Dealer yesterday, and the apology and the 23 cent pizza article were on the front page of today's paper. Enjoy.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Re: 23 Cent Pizza for OH natives (basketball related, oddly enough)

That is freakin badass. I would buy like 10 of them hahaha
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
That is freakin badass. I would buy like 10 of them hahaha

There has be like a 2-3 pizza limit. Still though. Kick@ssssss..

Too bad I live in central PA. Oh well.. :)
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Got your PM Mathius. Sorry I didn't sticky this earlier. Haven't been on ISH for 4 days.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Got your PM Mathius. Sorry I didn't sticky this earlier. Haven't been on ISH for 4 days.

It's cool. Wasn't in the paper 'til this morning, so you're not late or anything. I just thought it'd be nice for people who didn't know about it to take advantage.

I tried to get Jeff to sticky it on the main board, but we'll see where that goes.

Mathius
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Mathius

So did anyone get one? The line was around the block at the one by my house and they had two police vehicles on hand for crowd control.

I settled for a $5 Georgio's pizza. Papa John's is better, but I heard the average wait was 3 hours, and you KNOW they're just rushing those things out the door, so quality is out the window at this point.

Mathius
Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
B-Low
The Love B-Low

I really felt bad for the papa johns employees after seeing how today went. I mean the teens and other employees at these NE ohio ones didn't make the shirts, yet they had to work their asses off all day giving pizza away for 23 cents to what had to be over 50,000 people easily. Just seems like the local employees shouldnt have had to struggle like that to make up for the mistake that someone at HQ made.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I really felt bad for the papa johns employees after seeing how today went. I mean the teens and other employees at these NE ohio ones didn't make the shirts, yet they had to work their asses off all day giving pizza away for 23 cents to what had to be over 50,000 people easily. Just seems like the local employees shouldnt have had to struggle like that to make up for the mistake that someone at HQ made.

The mistake wasn't made by headquarters, the mistake was made by whoever made the shirts in D.C. HQ just made the decision to rectify it because like it or not it was THEIR logo on the shirts, and that will threaten business. That's how all the crap started.

The ironic part is, Papa Johns probably only converted a small number of new customers, and the business for the other pizza joints actually went up.

There's a follow up in the paper today. One company was actually using the Papa Johns thing for advertising. "Come here and you won't have to wait 3 hours for a pizza."

Romeos pizza used a slogan something like, "An apology isn't good enough." and when interviewed, they basically said they were a Cleveland based company and they took pride in that.

Myself, I actually went to Georgio's, because I went to check out the Papa Johns thing and saw the line, and said screw it. 23 cent pizza isn't worth 2.5 hours of standing in line after a 10.5 hour work day.

Mathius
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

I'll pay 23 cents if the Cavs take one tomorrow at 8.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I don't get it.

Yeah, 23 cents is a great deal for a pizza, but how many pizzas are you really gonna order. If you order a bunch, by the time you get to some of them, they will have spoiled. And are people such cheapskates that it's a big deal for them to save the price of a large pizza?

I don't get it. I mean, I live on a tight budget, but I wouldn't wait 2.5 hours for a pizza. I would just pay up and go somewhere else rather than get something that was very hastily put together.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I don't get it.

Yeah, 23 cents is a great deal for a pizza, but how many pizzas are you really gonna order. If you order a bunch, by the time you get to some of them, they will have spoiled. And are people such cheapskates that it's a big deal for them to save the price of a large pizza?

I don't get it. I mean, I live on a tight budget, but I wouldn't wait 2.5 hours for a pizza. I would just pay up and go somewhere else rather than get something that was very hastily put together.

Actually, there was a limit, you could only get one per person. I didn't wait in line for it. I drove over there, figuring if they weren't busy I'd get in on it, but when I saw the line I never even got out of my truck.

Mathius
Old 05-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Mathius

This could probably be unsticky'd now. Not much more to talk about and the deal is long gone.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: