Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #31
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

This trade doesn't look legit w/ Al wanting a $60mil contract so I don't think even that $3mil exception will solve this, but if ATL wants this trade to me, if I'm mitch I pull the trigger w/out hesitation. People r sayin we're givin up 2 much. R u kiddin me? I luv Smush and I was thinking he's the PG of the future but people r sayin Farmar is great n understands the triangle n has chance to start n all this n its not like we'd have a void @ PG, we'd still have 4 abled bodies (MCkie, Shammond, Sasha, Farmar). As far as Bynum I have no idea wut tha hubub is about for a guy who averages 1ppg n can't get on the floor. I seriously doubt that Bynum will develop into a superstar that dwarfs Al's #'s so much that we regret makin this trade n even if it does happen, @ the rate he's goin, it'll be when Kobe is past his prime and Lamar has retired n it won't even matter.
DO THA TRADE NOW!!!
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #32
dblockallstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionone
I think the NBA needs to address the cap situation because they have a cap and almost every single team, with the exception of a few, are over the cap, but this is another discussion for another day.

This year there were like 6 nba teams under the cap. If u really want to get under the cap it's pretty easy if u don't want to win immeadiately, u just tell yourself that you won't have a superstar and only get players through the draft n cheap free agents until you're ready to make that splash.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #33
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
This trade doesn't look legit w/ Al wanting a $60mil contract so I don't think even that $3mil exception will solve this, but if ATL wants this trade to me, if I'm mitch I pull the trigger w/out hesitation. People r sayin we're givin up 2 much. R u kiddin me? I luv Smush and I was thinking he's the PG of the future but people r sayin Farmar is great n understands the triangle n has chance to start n all this n its not like we'd have a void @ PG, we'd still have 4 abled bodies (MCkie, Shammond, Sasha, Farmar). As far as Bynum I have no idea wut tha hubub is about for a guy who averages 1ppg n can't get on the floor. I seriously doubt that Bynum will develop into a superstar that dwarfs Al's #'s so much that we regret makin this trade n even if it does happen, @ the rate he's goin, it'll be when Kobe is past his prime and Lamar has retired n it won't even matter.
DO THA TRADE NOW!!!

I agree with you on the PG situation but not about Bynum...he hasnt played because he is still too inexperienced to be given a big role...let him learn first. I know he will be great for us.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #34
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Ryansrams has an OK reputation so far

Nah mitch dont do it. Harrington would be nice but Bynum has way to much upside. He grew a inch last year he is 7foot 1 with a wing span pf 7feet 7, If everthing works out right skys the limit. I dont want to take that chance of him being a Hawk and the most dominating center in the game. I think in alot of ways Maurice Evans can do some of the things Harrington can , I want to say a poor mans version of Harrington but Evans hasnt had enough minutes to prove he is even that. As far as the Lakers needs I thing Evans is going to help out alot more than expected especially defensivley and athletically,and at the same time not mess with the chemistry of the team nor the salary cap. You put odom at point I think that screws up are team as far as rebounding goes, to me odom is a very underrated rebounder. i thought the role he had last year was a perfect balancefor him to use all his skills,in which he is getting better and better at. Just remember Mitch has made quite moves and really hasnt hurt are salary cap to much I know its hard to be patient, im all for another trade but I dont think we have to go to this exteme unless it spells Championship. I personally think it would cause a problem with the chemistry on the team. To trade Smush might be a good Idea because his value is really high right know, if things dont work out for Smush this year and he slowley loses a role on the team which is possible he wont be worth nearly what he is worth now.
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #35
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Dude, this is NOT a good trade for the Lakers unless a legit starting PG is included as part of the package. You can't have Kobe or Lamar at the 1 from a defensive perspective. See post #23 above.

Geez, come on now!

Lamar Odom starting at the Point Guard spot, in my opinion, would be better or the same as than any point guard the Los Angeles Lakers have right now.

I know some of the younger posters on here would say, "but what Jordan Farmar???" No, he's a rookie, even though he produced in Summer League, he will probably get rookie minutes as Phil Jackson uses his rookies very seldomly.

Lamar Odom's got length. These players can shoot in the above starting lineup that was posted in my post, each and every single one of them, except for Kwame Brown can shoot the three-point shot, therefore spreading the floor.

If you remember, the similar situation didn't happen a few seasons ago with Caron Butler and Lamar Odom on the same team, and they traded Caron Butler. If you also remember, Phil Jackson, I think, also said that he would love to coach a team with a trio of Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, and Kobe Bryant.

With the addition of Al Harrington, Phil Jackson can continue with his execution of play with whatever he was thinking of with Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Kobe Bryant with Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Al Harington, Vladimir Radmanovic, and Kwame Brown.

That's alot of options you have on the Los Angeles Lakers lineup. It's like a Los Angeles Lakers buffet. You get to pick what you want off the starting lineup and bench and you're still satisfied with what you got and you want to come back for more.

That's if this trade comes through.

People act like teams are lined up to trade with the Los Angeles Lakers, when this is probably the only time when the Los Angeles Lakers are offered with this type of deal.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #36
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
Lamar Odom starting at the Point Guard spot, in my opinion, would be better or the same as than any point guard the Los Angeles Lakers have right now.

Once again, you are only thinking offensively.... this lineup you speak of does not work full time... you just can't have this as teams will penetrate all over the place. Come on now, think this trade package through.

Notice how I have said nothing about Bynum or a #1 pick.... I can live with those elements of the trade. Its a bad deal without a starting PG in the mix.... which just means keep Smush and use other pieces.

Besides the fact that this trade package puts the Lakers in the Luxury tax space as I ran the numbers in my head.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #37
dblockallstars

^^^Exactly! we're adding allstar type talent to this team for a guy who has been labeled inconsistent and lacking in defense and like a 3yr project center. The draft pick won't really matter if AL fits like I think he will n we have one of the best records in the league. I think we can instantly compete 4 a championship w/ an AL roster. If our main concern is Odom's D @ the point, that shouldn't be a concern b/c the concensus is that Smush takes a lot of chances on D and leaves the bigs exposed etc, n basically he'ss futile on D, so at least ODom can raise his long arms n contest shots, while providing more consistent offense - both in passing n playmakin.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #38
dblockallstars

Quote:

Besides the fact that this trade package puts the Lakers in the Luxury tax space as I ran the numbers in my head.

Yeah well that's the price u pay 4 goin from a team scrapping to make the playoffs to championship contenders. Plus we won't be locked into luxury tax territory for years to come like the knicks b/c next summer we have like 8 free agents that we can opt not to re-sign
Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #39
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Quote:
There is no way Kobe guards the PG... you would wear him out. His production would go down... it just makes not sense.

So you would take the risk of allowing 6'10 Odom guarding 6' guards with quickness to blow right by him everytime he gets the ball? This is why the that lineup with Odom at PG would never work. You can't just think of the mismatches on the offensive end, because it might be worse on the defensive end.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

PJax was gonna play odom at the point last yr but he saw that it wouldnt work out. odom needs to be close to the basket to grab boards and to maximize his talents. hes a point forward...and there are so many fast guards in today's game, its impossible for him to stay in front of them and he will get into foul trouble early. I'd love to have AL on the team but I dont think giving up a young athletic center who so much time/patience/effort was spent on, and we will need him in the future...to get AL when we already have that forward spot figured out. if it was mihm instead of bynum, then pull that trigger fast. but not bynum...
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #41
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Once again, you are only thinking offensively.... this lineup you speak of does not work full time... you just can't have this as teams will penetrate all over the place. Come on now, think this trade package through.

Notice how I have said nothing about Bynum or a #1 pick.... I can live with those elements of the trade. Its a bad deal without a starting PG in the mix.... which just means keep Smush and use other pieces.

SoCalMike, you make a very good point. Would you care to name me the current point guards on the Los Angeles Lakers roster who are better defensively than Lamar Odom??? Thanks.

Defensively, they're about the same to be honest with you. Smush Parker averaged 1.71 steals per game and Lamar Odom averaged 0.94 steals per game. Lamar Odom averaged 5.5 assists per game while Smush Parker averaged 3.7 assists per game. I could mention rebounds per game, points per game, and all the other statistics, but I'll focus on those statistics. As far as rebounding and points scored, Lamar Odom wins in those departments as well.

People are talking about Lamar Odom having no defense, but it's not as if the Los Angeles Lakers were dominant defensively at the Point Guard position last season.

Let Lamar Odom work on his Point Guard skills this offseason. Los Angeles Lakers players were confused about their role on this team at the beginning and middle of last season, but they came together after the All-Star break. Let the players know their role from the beginning so they're won't be any confusion.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #42
Aristotle8/24
I airball my layups

Aristotle8/24 has an OK reputation so far

Hey, I've been on ISH for a while now, formely known as Aristotle8 back in like 2000 2001 so most of you don't really know me. But im saying whats up to all of you because I've been a fan of LA for years. Now to the trade.

I think this trade is quite interesting meaning that it is both good and bad. Personally I think it is too tempting to turn down because the idea of having all those weapons on one team and a guy capable of scoring 81 points is one that I like. AB is showing strides but what exactly is the timetable? However, this deal does not look as good if Al wants the 60 million you guys are talking about. As of right now though--do it. Just my impression.
Aristotle8/24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #43
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
PJax was gonna play odom at the point last yr but he saw that it wouldnt work out. odom needs to be close to the basket to grab boards and to maximize his talents. hes a point forward...and there are so many fast guards in today's game, its impossible for him to stay in front of them and he will get into foul trouble early. I'd love to have AL on the team but I dont think giving up a young athletic center who so much time/patience/effort was spent on, and we will need him in the future...to get AL when we already have that forward spot figured out. if it was mihm instead of bynum, then pull that trigger fast. but not bynum...

Ask Chicago Bulls' fans if they would've pulled the trigger fast if they had the chance to trade Tyson Chandler a few seasons ago.

Kwame Brown had slightly better numbers than Tyson Chandler last season.

"A young athletic Center who has so much time/patience/effort was spent, and we will need him in the future."

The above quote has shades of Stanislav Medvedenko written all over it. I think Stanislav Medevedenko pretty much had the same people say the same things about him that are being said about Andrew Bynum, and you know the rest of that story.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #44
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle8/24
Hey, I've been on ISH for a while now, formely known as Aristotle8 back in like 2000 2001 so most of you don't really know me. But im saying whats up to all of you because I've been a fan of LA for years. Now to the trade.

I think this trade is quite interesting meaning that it is both good and bad. Personally I think it is too tempting to turn down because the idea of having all those weapons on one team and a guy capable of scoring 81 points is one that I like. AB is showing strides but what exactly is the timetable? However, this deal does not look as good if Al wants the 60 million you guys are talking about. As of right now though--do it. Just my impression.

Welcome back Aristotle8/24. All this board needs is crisoner, jan803, shadow, aabanilla, dishandswish, and PurplenGold4Eva and everything will be golden, even icemanfan who regularly posted on the Los Angeles Laker Fam back in the day.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #45
KB24
Kids at the park dunk on me

KB24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
Ask Chicago Bulls' fans if they would've pulled the trigger fast if they had the chance to trade Tyson Chandler a few seasons ago.

Kwame Brown had slightly better numbers than Tyson Chandler last season.

"A young athletic Center who has so much time/patience/effort was spent, and we will need him in the future."

The above quote has shades of Stanislav Medvedenko written all over it. I think Stanislav Medevedenko pretty much had the same people say the same things about him that are being said about Andrew Bynum, and you know the rest of that story.

Nobody expected anything from Slava Not even close to what most people expect from Bynum. The above quote could so also be said about Jermaine Oneal when the Blazers gave up early and traded him to Indy.
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: