Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #31
PP34Deuce
Good college starter

PP34Deuce has decent reputationPP34Deuce has decent reputation
Default Re: Round 3, Pistons @ Celtics, Game 1, Tuesday

I think KG will be neutralized more in this series then others.

Wallace and Mcdyess alone are athletic and able to affect KG in more ways then one.

Pierce has Prince but will be able to score( post game pierce has) and get to the foul line.

Ray Allen has a favorable matchup and between him and RIP its about who will make the most shots.

I predict Rondo in foul trouble due to Billups strength and post up game.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #32
kidachi

I'm happy that Chauncey is back..

the top 2 overall team battling in a series.. this will be a classic..
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #33
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

The Pistons will likely bring less consistent energy than both the Hawks and Cavs did against the Celtics. Those teams may not have the ability of Detroit, but they are young and play hard at all times. I think the Pistons' energy lapses will help the Celtics feel more comfortable in this series.

The Pierce/Prince matchup will be bad for Detroit. Pierce typically does whatever he wants against Tayshaun in their matchups.

Billups vs. Rondo needs to be a big win for Detroit, but Rondo's capable of using his speed to make it difficult for Chauncey to stay in front of him. Detroit needs to pound him down if Rondo does find his way to the rim.

Sheed will by psyched for this matchup, and he can hold his own against KG. KG will have to work his ass off to get points against Wallace. Anything Sheed does on offense is pretty much gravy.

Allen's the wildcard, and has looked old so far in the playoffs. Rip is the picture of consistency, and will get his ~20 ppg.

The rest of the matchups are true wildcards, with the roleplayers for each team stepping up at various points in the series. Dyess and Perkins will both bring some hustle and rebounding.

Both of these teams are very good, but not great. I could see it going either way. I don't really like the mental makeup of either team, which isn't a huge surprise since I believe the coaches of both sides are inept.

The Pistons lack any sort of killer instinct, and try to expend no more energy than just enough to win. They no longer jump on opposing teams' throats from the opening tip like they did in the first half of the decade.

The Celtics have a mixture of problems, starting with how they played the regular season. They played much of the 82 game schedule with playoff intensity, which made a great show, but arguably isn't the best strategy for an older team looking to make a playoff run. Now they're finding that the teams they're going up against have turned it up a notch, and they can't trump that with an extra gear themselves. Boston also looks a little worn down physically, and multiple seven game series probably isn't the recipe for recuperation.

Finally, the team looks a little bit soft mentally. They just don't look like they know what to do when games aren't going their way. They should be able to dig deep and fight through bad bounces, poor calls, cold shooting, etc... They have the talent to do so, but something mental seems to hold them back. Pierce looks like the only guy with mental toughnees.

This one will go six or seven games, with either team capable of taking the series. Flip Saunders has never coached a team to a playoff series win without homecourt advantage (I believe, haven't looked it up). So if I absolutely had to bet, I guess I'd go with the Celtics.

Last edited by FPower : 05-19-2008 at 10:18 AM.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #34
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN

TruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
The Pistons will likely bring less consistent energy than both the Hawks and Cavs did against the Celtics. Those teams may not have the ability of Detroit, but they are young and play hard at all times. I think the Pistons' energy lapses will help the Celtics feel more comfortable in this series.

The Pierce/Prince matchup will be bad for Detroit. Pierce typically does whatever he wants against Tayshaun in their matchups.

Billups vs. Rondo needs to be a big win for Detroit, but Rondo's capable of using his speed to make it difficult for Chauncey to stay in front of him. Detroit needs to pound him down if Rondo does find his way to the rim.

Sheed will by psyched for this matchup, and he can hold his own against KG. KG will have to work his ass off to get points against Wallace. Anything Sheed does on offense is pretty much gravy.

Allen's the wildcard, and has looked old so far in the playoffs. Rip is the picture of consistency, and will get his ~20 ppg.

The rest of the matchups are true wildcards, with the roleplayers for each team stepping up at various points in the series. Dyess and Perkins will both bring some hustle and rebounding.

Both of these teams are very good, but not great. I could see it going either way. I don't really like the mental makeup of either team, which isn't a huge surprise since I believe the coaches of both sides are inept.

The Pistons lack any sort of killer instinct, and try to expend no more energy than just enough to win. They no longer jump on opposing teams' throats from the opening tip like they did in the first half of the decade.

The Celtics have a mixture of problems, starting with how they played the regular season. They played much of the 82 game schedule with playoff intensity, which made a great show, but arguably isn't the best strategy for an older team looking to make a playoff run. Now they're finding that the teams they're going up against have turned it up a notch, and they can't trump that with an extra gear themselves. Boston also looks a little worn down physically, and multiple seven game series probably isn't the recipe for recuperation.

Finally, the team looks a little bit soft mentally. They just don't look like they know what to do when games aren't going their way. They should be able to dig deep and fight through bad bounces, poor calls, cold shooting, etc... They have the talent to do so, but something mental seems to hold them back. Pierce looks like the only guy with mental toughnees.

This one will go six or seven games, with either team capable of taking the series. Flip Saunders has never coached a team to a playoff series win without homecourt advantage (I believe, haven't looked it up). So if I absolutely had to bet, I guess I'd go with the Celtics.

repped for a nice post.
TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #35
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

It's going 7 games because that's all the Celtics play since they have homecourt advantage and can not win a road game to save their lives. Pistons in 7.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #36
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just get rid of Flip and make Sheed Player/Coach.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

i have boston in six but we are talking about game 1.. So i say boston will win it buy 10+ points with ray allen's coming out party.... he might score 20+ today.. i wish he would pierce and kg will give their share .. rondo might be in foul trouble sam i am and billups will go at each other.. house will get his minutes... big baby will get more mins cause perk cant score... i expect big baby to score 10 points this game...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #38
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Right now the Pistons have a serious advantage at both guard positions. Chauncey is too big for Rondo and is fully capable of making him his personal plaything, and while Hamilton has raised his game for the playoffs, Allen's has plummeted. A little worried about the desparity here. Really looking forward to KG/Wallace, though. Rasheed is still one of the best two-way post players in the NBA (although he doesn't show it that often) and it's going to be interesting seeing those two go at it.

Quote:
It's going 7 games because that's all the Celtics play since they have homecourt advantage and can not win a road game to save their lives.
How 'bout them Bulls?
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #39
HelterSkelter
High School JV MVP

HelterSkelter has decent reputationHelterSkelter has decent reputation

Avy bet.

Pierce doesn't score more than 15points.

any takerz?

HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #40
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'll take that one. Pierce will score 15 or more.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #41
HelterSkelter
High School JV MVP

HelterSkelter has decent reputationHelterSkelter has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I'll take that one. Pierce will score 15 or more.

Great.

Loser will wear the avy until game 3. okayz?

HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #42
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

LakerDynasty00 has decent reputationLakerDynasty00 has decent reputation

Pistons win by 6 tonight. The Celtics have to be tired and have looked out-of-sync against inferior talent through the whole playoffs. The Pistons are well-rested and want to prove they are serious contenders; they get up to play the better teams and they can win on the road (something C's have not shown).
If there was ever a game for Detroit to steal its tonight.

No need to look at the match-ups, but I think in general they favor the Pistons in almost every department: Billups>Rondo, Rip>Allen (at this point in their careers), Tayshun<Pierce (but PP will struggle to score), KG=Sheed (not on talent, but on who's likely to show-up big), Dyess=Perk?, bench for Detroit is better and younger.

Despite all this I fully expect the Pistons to get blown-out in Game 2; Pistons take the series in 6 though.
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #43
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
Great.

Loser will wear the avy until game 3. okayz?

Works for me.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #44
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd like to see a continuation of what we saw on Sunday: Show the world that Paul Pierce is truly a superstar. Yes, Prince is a great defender, but he can't match Pierce's strength, so posting Pierce and attacking the basket with Pierce off of screens is one of the best ways to score. And not just with Pierce scoring, but also with his passing. "If you are what you say you are" time for The Truth. Plus, he should get calls at home.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #45
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I'd like to see a continuation of what we saw on Sunday: Show the world that Paul Pierce is truly a superstar. Yes, Prince is a great defender, but he can't match Pierce's strength, so posting Pierce and attacking the basket with Pierce off of screens is one of the best ways to score. And not just with Pierce scoring, but also with his passing. "If you are what you say you are" time for The Truth. Plus, he should get calls at home.

I'd love to see PP continue his dominance, but we absolutely need to get something from Ray Allen this series if we are to be successful. We don't need him to be great... we just need him to be decent. If he can hit a few of his outside shots, that should somewhat preclude Detroit from collapsing on every PP drive and open the court a little more for him. You're absoluetely right though... Prince can't guard Pierce.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: