Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #31
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Chad Ford is a moron - doesn't understand lottery

Y'know....another thing that would prevent tanking is making every game matter, by cutting down on the length of the eason. But that's another thread entirely.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Well then, I like the risk. Teams keep taking the risk and most aren't rewarded and quite frankly, I like it that way. The odds of team who just missed the playoffs have a pretty slim chance of winning the lottery. Go back and search all the teams that have won the lottery and tell me how many were seeded 8-14.

They shouldn't be in the lottery anyway.

Everyone is so worried about tanking that they are ignoring the fact that some teams just flat suck. In order for them to get better they have to do it primarily through the draft and this system is making it harder to do that.

The team with the worst record has picked 4th the last two seasons.

Last edited by tontoz : 05-20-2008 at 01:57 PM.
tontoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #33
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputation

Any questions?

The Bulls go from 9th to 1st. BS
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #34
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Any questions?

The Bulls go from 9th to 1st. BS

Shit happens. Get over it.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Shit happens. Get over it.

Very logical argument. I should have expected as much.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #36
Emeka Okafor xD
Banned

Emeka Okafor xD has an OK reputation so far

if dat wasnt ther, all teams will just be tankin and dat would be no fun!
Emeka Okafor xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #37
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
Very logical argument. I should have expected as much.

What do you want?

I already gave you my argument earlier and I'm not going to do it again.

It's called a lottery for a dam reason and as we can see, this was proven tonight. What other expert analysis would you like for me to give you? My stance still does not change even though the Bulls won the pick.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #38
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
What do you want?

I already gave you my argument earlier and I'm not going to do it again.

It's called a lottery for a dam reason and as we can see, this was proven tonight. What other expert analysis would you like for me to give you? My stance still does not change even though the Bulls won the pick.

I am not saying to get rid of the lottery.

You seem to think every bad team is tanking. Sometimes teams are just bad. Minny, Seatle and Memphis are bad teams and they are going to stay that way if they keep getting jumped over on lottery night by teams like Chicago and Portland.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #39
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think it should be an even % across the 14 (or 10) teams.

Why should a team like the Blazers or Warriors be punished for playing their hearts out and finishing just outside the Playoffs while a team like the Heat tank all season and get a top pick??

I say take the worste ten teams (i know this wouldnt include the Warriors) and give them all a 10% chance of getting the #1 pick. After the first 3 picks are decided then order the rest by regular season record.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
I think it should be an even % across the 14 (or 10) teams.

That isn't a bad idea if you lower the number of teams to 5 or 6. Those are the teams that are bad and may be looking to tank. All incentive to tank would be removed.

Of course teams in the 6-8 range might start tanking but there will always be some of that.

What shouldn't happen is the team with the 9th worst record getting the top pick while genuinely bad teams continue to be bad.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #41
bukowski81
Serious playground baller

bukowski81 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Chad Ford:

Chad Ford doesn't understand that its a LOTTERY.

Since 1990, there have been 18 lottery drafts. The chances of worst team winning lottery are 25%, based on ping pong balls. So, 25% of 18, is 4.5. Therefore, we would expect worst team to win 4 or 5 times in last 18 years. FOUR teams with worst record have won, exactly as we would expect.

The 2nd worst team has about a 20% chance of winning. So in the last 18 years, we would expect 2nd worst team to win 3.6 times. This is slightly less, 2nd worst has only won twice.

But someone please explain to Ford its a LOTTERY. He doesn't understand.

Its more like you dont understand Chad Fords point, but i agree, he is a moron.
bukowski81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #42
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Personally, I'd love to see the team that missed the playoffs with the best record get the 1st pick.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #43
RajonKGcelts
Time to repeat

RajonKGcelts is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I understand the Lottery is a big deal to the nba, but can someone explain to me why they can't just do worse record gets highest pick? Is it because there are so many teams? There has to be some logical way to fix this, cause its kind of silly.
RajonKGcelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #44
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajonKGcelts
I understand the Lottery is a big deal to the nba, but can someone explain to me why they can't just do worse record gets highest pick? Is it because there are so many teams? There has to be some logical way to fix this, cause its kind of silly.

It all started with Pat Ewing back in 85. The obvious #1 pick, they were afraid teams would willingly go 0-82 to get him, hence the lotto.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #45
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I like JVG's idea of awarding the team with the BEST record out of the worst teams in the league.

Prevents tanking.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: