Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
mswank
High School JV MVP

mswank has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Early Mock drafts

my coathanger says the same thing. lol srry
mswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Knicks would never pass up Mayo
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Love, Mayo, and Augustin will all go higher.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #19
shaoyut
National High School Star

shaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laview
I will just do the top 10 (assuming they kept their picks):

1. Bulls - D. Rose (hometown boy; and in my option the no. 1 choice for any team)
2. Heat - M. Beasley (who else?)
3. Timberwolves - OJ Mayo (they need a big time scorer more than a C)
4. Supersonics - Brook Lopez (need a big to go with the SF and SG from last years draft)
5. Grizziles - DeAndre Jordon (a big gamble that might payoff really well; can't pass on a C with good potential)
6. Knicks - Danilo Gallinari (6'10 forward body with great ball handles and shooting ability upto 3 point range, perfect for the new coach in town)
7. Clippers - Eric Gordon (great scorer who can shoot well from the outside will be great playing along Brand and Corey who like to play the physical game)
8. Bucks - Jerryd Bayless (I don't think the Redd and Mo Williams experiment is working out; new blood is needed in the backcourt to turn things around)
9. Bobcats - Darrel Arthur (they need a guy who can score in the front court; their PG, SG, SF, and C situation are not so bad, but Darrel Arthur is much smoother than Okafor on the offense)
10. Nets - Kevin Love (again with good scoring SG and SF like Jefferson and Carter and PG like D. Harris, they could use someone who can contribute offensively in the front court to take pressure off the outside shooters)
i like that
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
RajonKGcelts
Time to repeat

RajonKGcelts is starting to rub some people the wrong way

OJ at 10 is crazy
RajonKGcelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #21
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
Just a couple of things, you have McGee twice on your list. You have him at 21st to the Nets and 23rd to the Jazz.

Also, why do you think that Mayo will drop so low? I can't see him falling past 5 to be honest.

This seems to be the one pick everyone doesn't understand.

Let's assume the top 4 picks are locks. I simply think those are much picks than picking Mayo. Memphis picking Koufos may be the one stretch in many of your minds, but I think after workouts GM's will realize that a 7' strong player with that kind of athleticism and touch is too good to pass up. I think he will be a workout stud.

NY doesn't want another problem and imo Gallinari is just better. Plus Crawford is in NY to stay and he's a sg and nothing else.

Clippers can take Mayo or Gordon. I don't value taking a home product. Gordon is better so I take him.

I will group Milwaukee, Charlotte and NJ together. All three teams have shooting guards that aren't going anywhere at the moment. Redd or Mayo can't play sf. Charlotte isn't changing things up one year after giving up Wright for Richardson. Plus it is easy to argue that Love is better while Randolph has more upside AND fits Charlotte's needs better.

So why would NJ take a different route and select Mayo? I just have a feeling NJ has the greatest chance for a shake up giving Mayo an opportunity to start soon. Plus, the team is moving to Brooklyn and they need a potential star when Carter and possibly Jefferson are gone. At this point there is no one left that makes more sense value wise or need wise for NJ.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #22
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Mayo would be a steal for the Nets. Realistically, Kevin Love or Eric Gordon would be a nice pick for us.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #23
Chicago76
I hit open 5-footers

Chicago76 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Clippers can take Mayo or Gordon. I don't value taking a home product. Gordon is better so I take him.

As someone who grew up 5 minutes from Eric Gordon, I'll avoid the homerism and tell you that Mayo is a much better prospect than Gordon. EJ had a great first half of the season, but what you saw from him in the second half shows his limitations (off-shooting hand wrist injury or not). He shot really poorly from 3 pt range (finishing worse than gordon). He's not 6-4, he's 6-2 1/2, which will be widely known during the draft process.

Looking at their conference games and the tournament, Mayo scored more, shot better overall from the field and from 3 pt range, had more steals, more rebounds, a better assist to TO ratio. Mayo also has better size and quickness. The only thing Gordon has going for him is less baggage. If GMs interviewing Mayo gain some sense of ease with how they think he'll handle himself in the future, Mayo will go 2-3 slots higher than Gordon.
Chicago76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #24
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76
As someone who grew up 5 minutes from Eric Gordon, I'll avoid the homerism and tell you that Mayo is a much better prospect than Gordon. EJ had a great first half of the season, but what you saw from him in the second half shows his limitations (off-shooting hand wrist injury or not). He shot really poorly from 3 pt range (finishing worse than gordon). He's not 6-4, he's 6-2 1/2, which will be widely known during the draft process.

Looking at their conference games and the tournament, Mayo scored more, shot better overall from the field and from 3 pt range, had more steals, more rebounds, a better assist to TO ratio. Mayo also has better size and quickness. The only thing Gordon has going for him is less baggage. If GMs interviewing Mayo gain some sense of ease with how they think he'll handle himself in the future, Mayo will go 2-3 slots higher than Gordon.

To me Mayo is less creative and is absolutely less quick. That's one of his problems. If he was a little quicker and had better handles he would be great. Gordon has that and is more athletic plus a better shooter (even if he struggled to end the season). Gordon fell in love with the outside shot too much and he has to improve his handle a lot as well to catch up with his speed, but it's better than Mayo's.

Mayo is a really solid player, don't get me wrong, but not one things stands out at me. In the lottery you should be drafting a player you think has potential to be a star. Mayo to me has not one specific quality that screams star in the making at me. Gordon has the shot, quickness (good crossover ability) and athleticism at an elite level.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #25
MochaUdoka
Serious playground baller

MochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
IMO Hibbert would be perfect for them, he has that tim duncan syndrome.
he could come off the bench and help duncan defending in the paint.
he's also from a great program and was never a problem.
it would be a steal for the spurs.

I love the idea of Hibbert on my Spurs. He has been one of my favorite college players; I had not realized his stock had fallen so low. If SA can get him at 26 then I don't see any reason not to. IMO he has a borderline-allstar potential. He is a legit 7' and can defend the bucket and pass the ball. His scoring game in the pros may need some work, but at the least he will be a quality back-up.

However Spurs are gonna need some fresh blood on the wings, with Finley, Barry, and Bowen getting older. If they can find a quality guard at 26 then go ahead, but again Hibbert is a steal at that pick.
MochaUdoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #26
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaUdoka
I love the idea of Hibbert on my Spurs. He has been one of my favorite college players; I had not realized his stock had fallen so low. If SA can get him at 26 then I don't see any reason not to. IMO he has a borderline-allstar potential. He is a legit 7' and can defend the bucket and pass the ball. His scoring game in the pros may need some work, but at the least he will be a quality back-up.

However Spurs are gonna need some fresh blood on the wings, with Finley, Barry, and Bowen getting older. If they can find a quality guard at 26 then go ahead, but again Hibbert is a steal at that pick.

I am a huge fan of Hibbert but I think they are set at that position with Duncan for 3-4 more years atleast. They should get a swingman.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #27
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
Hate to bust your bubble hippos, all the Wolves boards are on the Mayo bandwagon and would throw up if we take Lopez.

Didn't you reply to me that it was a stupid idea for the Wolves to take Mayo over Lopez? Funny how that works. Yeah though this guy is a Nets fan to think Mayo is going 10.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #28
Chicago76
I hit open 5-footers

Chicago76 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
To me Mayo is less creative and is absolutely less quick. That's one of his problems. If he was a little quicker and had better handles he would be great. Gordon has that and is more athletic plus a better shooter (even if he struggled to end the season). Gordon fell in love with the outside shot too much and he has to improve his handle a lot as well to catch up with his speed, but it's better than Mayo's.

Neither has the quickness to excel at the next level as a creative type. I think you're really overrating Gordon's athleticism. EJ is credited with quickness when it really comes down to body control and understanding how to put a pretty wide frame (for his size) between a defender and his shooting hand. This can be learned. Whether he can do it against more athletic players who are 3 inches taller remains to be seen. Shooting touch can be improved. What can't is that fact that Gordon is most likely 2 inches shorter than Mayo with marginally better athletic ability (a very debatable point). The only guys who can play 2 at his size with a lot of success in the league are much, much quicker. EJ, at best, will be an average starter or very good, intant offense type of sixth man in the league. I'd be shocked if he's picked ahead of Mayo.

Last edited by Chicago76 : 05-21-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Chicago76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #29
MochaUdoka
Serious playground baller

MochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputationMochaUdoka has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I am a huge fan of Hibbert but I think they are set at that position with Duncan for 3-4 more years atleast. They should get a swingman.

you're right, Hibbert will not do anything that Oberto & Thomas (&Splitter?) will already do for us; our most obvious concern is swingman. ESPN mock draft has us taking Nicolas Batum. I haven't seen this guy play is he any good?

I just loved Hibbert in Georgetown (i liked Jeff Green more though), and think he would be a steal for my team at such a low pick
MochaUdoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 AM   #30
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaUdoka
you're right, Hibbert will not do anything that Oberto & Thomas (&Splitter?) will already do for us; our most obvious concern is swingman. ESPN mock draft has us taking Nicolas Batum. I haven't seen this guy play is he any good?

I just loved Hibbert in Georgetown (i liked Jeff Green more though), and think he would be a steal for my team at such a low pick

You'd have to reach to take a guard at your position. Someone that would likely be a 2nd round pick. Batum will be long gone by the time SA picks.

Some solid bigs at your position to choose from.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: