Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Default Roy Hibbert? Ford thinks so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080520

I would be VERY pleased if we got Roy Hibbert. He would do very well as a traditional Jazz Center.

I'm afraid he might go earlier than 23 though. Thoughts?
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Roy Hibbert? Ford thinks so.

I'd be happy to have a legit 7ft shot blocker in the line up somewhere!!
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080520

I would be VERY pleased if we got Roy Hibbert. He would do very well as a traditional Jazz Center.

I'm afraid he might go earlier than 23 though. Thoughts?
Yea, i'm hoping the Jazz can pick him up. Most people seem to have JaVale McGee, Kosta Koufos (Cleveland fans really want him) and Robin Lopez ahead of Hibbert, and they'll all be the centres that are taken once the lottery teams finish selecting. DeAndre Jordan might even fall outside the top 14 (I've seen him projected between 9th to 16th), which would increase the odds of the Jazz getting Hibbert. Every mock draft i've seen (Yahoo, ESPN, DraftExpress) have the Jazz landing Hibbert.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Hibbert would give Fes somebody to practice with, too.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Xiao Yao
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Based on the desription of him he sounds like the Jazz's type of player but hopefully they'll look to get older not younger and trade the pick.
Xiao Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
adam_morrison
Landry is a true balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao
Based on the desription of him he sounds like the Jazz's type of player but hopefully they'll look to get older not younger and trade the pick.

but hibbert is a stud
adam_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
I think they should keep him, if they get him. It'd kinda be like when they traded the rights to Nazr Mohammed to Philly when they had a out of shape, overpaid, underachieving Greg Ostertag at the 5. They need a big guy who can block shots and man the middle, so if you can grab that in the draft, go ahead and do it.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Xiao Yao

You do it if you can't get a veteran to do those things sure.

They had the great Collins why would they need Nazr? They might have drafted him to trade him anyway.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
You do it if you can't get a veteran to do those things sure.

They had the great Collins why would they need Nazr? They might have drafted him to trade him anyway.
They didn't have Collins back then (He wasn't drafted til 2001, Nazr was drafted in 98). In 98 the Jazz had Ostertag and Greg Foster at the C (They almost traded for Rony Seikaly at the deadline, but he refused to report, so the trade didn't go through), then the next year Ostertag, Foster and Todd Fuller.

I can understand wanting to get a vet "do those things", but they aren't in steady supply in the FA market next year. You've got Deke or Theo Ratliff who are both old and can't play significant minutes. DeSagana Diop will most likely cost the full MLE, and will go back to Dallas or stay in NJ. Not to mention the fact that Utah isn't the most attractive place for FA's to go. I doubt they'd get anyone as good as Hibbert from free agency, and if they did, they'd most likely cost more than Hibbert's rookie contract, which I guess is important since they are talking about extending Deron Williams.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Xiao Yao

Quote:
they aren't in steady supply in the FA market next year

There will always be plenty of guys that can bring you some veteran leadership(something they need) and that can outplay Collins. No excuse for carrying Almond in the D-league when you have other needs.

Quote:
You've got Deke or Theo Ratliff who are both old and can't play significant minutes.

Mutumbo will be in Houston and Ratliff probably in Detroit again. If they had any interest in Ratliff they should have went after him this year.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that Utah isn't the most attractive place for FA's to go.

It's more attractive now that they are good.

Quote:
I doubt they'd get anyone as good as Hibbert from free agency, and if they did, they'd most likely cost more than Hibbert's rookie contract

Unlikely Sloan plays a rookie no matter how good he is. His rookie contract will be similar to what they'd pay a vet.

I'd go for Skinner 1st. He wants to play and didn't after the Suns got Shaq.

Jazz liked Magloire last year. Loren Woods. David Harrison(they wouldn't sign a known pot smoker though). Anderson(same as Harrison). Mbenga. Mihm(Probably won't opt out). Turiaf. Kwame(won't be able to afford him). Mourning(might leave Miami now that they're not a favorite anymore?). Ely. Foyle. Booth.(If they opt out). Wright. Thomas(probably can't afford him). Elson. Plenty of young guys that could be as good as Hibbert too that have some experience like Swift. Fazekas. O'Bryant. Davidson. Hollins

I'd try to do a sign and trade for Biedrins 1st but we know that won't happem.

If Hibbert was a stud he wouldn't have dropped out of the draft last year and be a possible pick when the Jazz select.

They need to go after a veteran pg too.

Last edited by Xiao Yao : 05-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Betzza

Quote:

Whats wrong with having a young team? if we are close to the finals with a young team why change that? let them grow together as a team and see what happens in the next few years... surely everyone can understand a good young team is better than a good old team..?

Hibbert does look good and dont forget "you cant teach size" and he deffinately has that!
Betzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Xiao Yao

Quote:
Whats wrong with having a young team?

Nothing if just making the playoffs is what you strive for and that has always seemed to be good enough in Utah.

You need a mix. You have a young pg you get a veteran to back him up. You have no center other than the worthless Collins and the D-Leaguer you get a center especially since you have no inside defensive presence. You have two young SG's sitting on the bench(one actually in the D-league)when you have other needs.

Doesn't make much sense. You need veteran leadership. Guys that have been there. Fisher (while not a great fit)gave them that and they should have looked to replace that.

Quote:
if we are close to the finals with a young team why change that?

You should be looking to improve unless you're the NBA champs and losing big to the Spurs and Lakers certainly isn't what I'd call close.

Quote:
let them grow together as a team and see what happens in the next few years.

You'd think lessons would have been learned from the Stockton/Malone era that you don't wait til next year cuz it may never come. Next year could be their best shot cuz when Deron gets his payday they won't be able to keep this group together. They'll be signing guys to save money not to win.

Quote:
surely everyone can understand a good young team is better than a good old team..?

A good old team won the championship last year. I'd take that over a young team that may never do it.

Quote:
Hibbert does look good and dont forget "you cant teach size" and he deffinately has that!

So do countless other guys like Collins. If you're going to draft maybe you look to move up. Lots of teams dangling picks it sounds like. But you already have Fessenko. Why not look to a vet?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
losing big to the Spurs and Lakers certainly isn't what I'd call close.

Do you really consider taking the probable '08 Champs(Lakers) 6 games losing big??? Last years' Spurs series I'll give ya though...
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Xiao Yao

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
Do you really consider taking the probable '08 Champs(Lakers) 6 games losing big??? Last years' Spurs series I'll give ya though...

I wouldn't consider it "close to the finals" that's for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

So back to Hibbert...

Would he play?
Would Fes ever play if Hibbert was drafted to Utah?
Would Hibbert be happy in Utah?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: