Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

HoopWiz2008 has an OK reputation so far
Default Baron and Monta Wants Out?

There might be a chance that the Warriors will be without neither Baron and Monta next season. The latest rumors have Monta eyeing the Knicks as a possibly destination. D'Antoni's uptempo style is nearly the same as what Nellie imploys, but its NY, the biggest media market in the NBA. There have been big named player have been linked to the Knicks in one way or another whether its Lebron, Kobe, or Artest. The problem for the Warriors is if NY puts an offer sheet for Monta for the MLE ($5.7M) where if the Warriors match, they'll more than likely not be able to re-sign Biedrins.

Baron has been unhappy with the way his extension negotiations have been going and may seek to play elsewhere. He also has been linked to the Knicks, but its highly unlikely he'd opt out of his contract worth $17.8M to take the MLE which is what the Knicks have to offer any unrestricted free agents. Baron has been one of my favorite players, but if he's going to cause this much of a headache, then good riddens.

The possibilty of this team getting gutted may happen whether anyone wants it or not. Remember its Cohan that owns this team and not CableVision or Mark Cuban and because of it, this team will always have financial limitations.

This maybe a blessing in disguise since this team just is built for limited success. Its no coincidence that 3 or the 4 teams left in the playoffs were the top 3 defensive teams in the league (Detroit, Boston, and San Antonio) and all have the same type of half court, grind it out tempo.

1. Sign and trade Monta Ellis to the Knicks for David Lee, the expiring contract of Malik Rose and their 6th pick of the draft. Thats the price of getting Ellis and D'Antoni is rumored to not like Lee as a player.

2. Trade Baron Davis and to the Clippers for Elton Brand. They make nearly the same amount and if both pick up their options,then it works out perfectly. Brand will be in his last year of his contract.

3. Draft:

6th pick - OJ Mayo
14th pick - Marreese Speights
49th pick - Goran Dragic

4. Trade Brandan Wright and Al Harrington to Memphis for Mike Miller and Kyle Lowry.

Line Up:

PG Mayo - Lowery - Dragic
SG Jackson - Belinelli
SF Miller - Azubuike (re-signed)
PF Brand - Lee - Speights
C Biedrins - Speights
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board
Default Re: Baron and Monta Wants Out?

i'll start praying now that this will happen ;) in all seriousness it would be hard but you would really take that gamble instead of just staying with the team now and just pick up a bigman to help biedrins?
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Hopper15
Serious playground baller

Hopper15 has not been impressing people

I can't believe your taking that New York Media seriously. Monta taking the MLE to sign with with the Knicks.
Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
meanmonster
I brick open layups

meanmonster has an OK reputation so far

I cant think of a reason LAC would want to trade Elton Brand for B. Davis. That would not happen.

The problem with GS , is also their strength... Don Nelson. Nelson's pouting and putting players in the dog house and refusal to play "bigs" is almost as much a problem as it is anything else. Brendan Wright has a TON of potential and could be a force if given the chance... definately not far fetched to think he could be a Tyson Chandler type player or better, but Nellie will not play him.

The GS Warriors also have another player with great potential riding the pine under Nellie, Bellnelli. That guy is sick, I seen him play in Euro Leagues. He is the real deal.

I do not think a trade with NY is far fetched though. I could see either Ellis or Davis going there... I dont think NY is going to give up the #6 pick easily though and Im not sure you guys would want OJ Mayo. If Mayo stays on the West Coast away from his family he is going to be trouble. I dont think he could handle it out there. A more realistic trade I can see Chris Mullin pulling off is trading is some sort of Davis for Marbury deal with others possibly involved... Chris Mullin would be attracted to Marburys expiring contract. I have no reason to believe this, but financially, would be a good move if you guys could pick up a solid replacement PG and get Wright and Bellinelli off the Bench.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

HoopWiz2008 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper15
I can't believe your taking that New York Media seriously. Monta taking the MLE to sign with with the Knicks.

I highly doubt it, but the Warriors aren't in good financial situation with Cohen's wallet. Cohen would much rather trade a franchise player away than to pay him the money they/he deserves. He did it Jamison because Dunleavy was cheaper. He did it with Richardson and he did it with Arenas. This situation isn't much different. Say the Knicks put an offer sheet of $5.7M which is the MLE for Monta Ellis. The Warriors match which virtually means they'll be losing Biedrins who is worth more than the $4M a year that the Warriors can offer him if they decide to match that offer. The worse case scenario is a team like Memphis, who is under the cap, and offers Ellis a much bigger contract. What does Golden State do now? Matching a considerable amount would put them into the luxury tax bracket which Cohen will avoid by any means necessary and basically means they don't re-sign Biedrins. A big man with athleticism, good hands, and mobility like Biedrins are much more coveted than a 6'3 combo guard that can't go left. The only way to do it is in a sign and trade where both teams don't take on additional salaries.

Last edited by HoopWiz2008 : 05-24-2008 at 03:05 PM.
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Hopper15
Serious playground baller

Hopper15 has not been impressing people

You're reading to much into the New York Media again.

"Say the Knicks put an offer sheet of $5.7M which is the MLE for Monta Ellis. The Warriors match which virtually means they'll be losing Biedrins who is worth more than the $4M a year that the Warriors can offer him if they decide to match that offer."

There is absolutely no truth to that possibility. The Warriors have the bird rights to both Ellis and Biedrins which means they can match any offer sheet to both players. With the Bird Rights they also can exceed the salary cap to sign either Biedrins or Ellis to more money then any other team can offer.

Mullin isn't stupid, he knew this day was coming which is why he traded Richardson for cap space to re-sign both Biedrins and Ellis this year.

The Gilbert Arenas situation had nothing to do with Cohan. Arenas was a unrestricted free agent and we couldn't offer more then the MLE. The Wizards just so happened to be under the cap, they offered Arenas 60 mil and Arenas took the money. If anything blame the Arenas debacle on Gary St. Jean, he failed to put a third year team option in Arenas rookie contract which would've gave us Gil's bird rights.

Regarding the Luxury Tax, it's hasn't even been settled how much the Luxury Tax will even be set at. So it's definitely to early to predict signing Biedrins and Monta puts us over the luxury tax which I doubt it will.
Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Let Baron go (trade his expiring contract). He's good, but overpaid considering our cap limitations.

Monta isn't going anywhere. He's restricted and we can match anything anyone offers.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Moose

$hit won't happen, Monta is gonna be a Warrior for a very long time. Not too sure about Baron.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

does anybody know exactly what Baron is seeking for in contract? i hope he isnt looking for big deal long term big money. i mean he is still relatively young at 29 but hes been through plenty injuries. hes been healthy with golden state though so iono.

how much money is he looking for per season, is he looking for an increase from his 17 mil or is he willing to take a cut, say around 11 mil? eventually he would have to take his option because i doubt he could get that money anywhere else. but after that would the warriors negotiate again or just trade him to get something out of it is the question.
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: