Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Default What's Josh Worth?

There is a thread on the main NBA forum about this. But it has quickly turned into a "who's better Josh or Prince" arguement. How much do you think Josh is worth? Where would you draw the line and say we're not paying that much, it's time to make a deal?
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

i think Josh Howard is an intregal part of the Mavs of today and tommorow. I think 8 mil, with 10% increases over 4 or 5 years is a deal that should be fair for both sides. Anywhere between 7-8 mil is fair for him. I think he is a valuable player and if they were to trade him, they would ask for starter back.
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Josh is more aerodynamic, but Prince is better overall.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

5 year 50 million is the absolute line.

If he wants/expects to get more then that, you trade his ass outa town.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

10 mil a year is the max I would want to go. But I'd like to sign him for cheaper. Somewhere between 10 mil and what Jet got.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Nygher
Banned

$10 million a year? Thats an awful lot. Mav's would never pay him that when they now have Deavon George and Jerry Stackhouse. I can see the angle of him being the future, but all he's shown me is the ability to be a stat box filler like Pippen was in Portland. $10 a year is like Amare Stoudamire stuff. I'd say about $5-$7 million a year until he actually does something for an entire season worthy of $10 million. Something more than the defensive guy in the starting 5 and the guy who can do something flashy on fastbreaks. Make an All-Star team and we'll talk about 10.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

10 mil is the max I said. And that's basically saying 50 mil for 5 years. Of course the first year won't be 10 mil. Stack is expiring this year and isn't getting any younger. George is just there for depth, he isn't going to take anyone's job. If you think Howard is flashy on the fast breaks then you really haven't seen many Mavs games. Salaries are going up, doesn't mean players are worth it but they are going to get it. I mean is Peja worth the contract he just signed?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Milkman

i think he'll easily get a 50 mil for 5 years based on the current salaries players are getting these days. im a little worried he may want more because of guys like Dunleavy and Troy Murphy who's salaries are crazy for what they have done in the league.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet. He could opt for a deal like Bron and Wade where he can opt out after the 3rd year. That way if he's worth more he can go for it. With the Mavs having the option to offer the most or work a sign and trade.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
One thing that hasn't been brought up yet. He could opt for a deal like Bron and Wade where he can opt out after the 3rd year. That way if he's worth more he can go for it. With the Mavs having the option to offer the most or work a sign and trade.

I think that would be a little far fetched for him to demand, considering he's not close to the calibar of those two guys.

I'm pretty sure Dallas wants to lock him up long term and not worry about this same situation coming up in a few years when Harris and Diop will be up for extentions.

IMO, It would take an extra ordinary set of circumstances for him to only sign a 2/3 year deal.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

True, but if it looks like a long term deal is unreachable. Wouldn't you rather lock him up for at least three years as opposed to restricted free agent next year and possibly have to match a ridiculous offer or lose him?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
True, but if it looks like a long term deal is unreachable. Wouldn't you rather lock him up for at least three years as opposed to restricted free agent next year and possibly have to match a ridiculous offer or lose him?

Well yeah. But if he became that unreasonable in his demands, then he should be traded.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I agree. Was just playing devil's advocate and throwing some "what if" out there.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
soog
I brick open layups

6-7M he's good, but not great yet. Here's a question... today, right now, imagine no tomorrow, who would rather have play on the mav's team JET or J-Ho? While I love Howard, I think today Jet is more important, in 1 year, 2 years, J-Ho will hopefully develope to be. So why would we pay him 50% more than JET because of potential of what he might become. If he never gets better he will be a very solid team guy, but would not warrant 13M his final year.

For those of you who dont understand basketball and want to bring up the mav's record when Josh scored over 20, go back and look at what avery said about that during playoffs. The mav's playing well rounded ball causes Josh to score 20, not Josh scoring 20 causes the mav's to win. If Josh scores 20 that means the mavs are getting lots of second chance points, running the floor spreading the court and getting everyone more open looks.

6-7M tops, then we can renegotiate in a few years.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

My first thought on your question was Jet. But as I thought about it more, it wasnt so clearcut. Jet brings scoring and clutch shooting, but pretty much that's it. Josh brings decent defense, rebounding, and scoring. Looking at it from that point, he brings a little more to the table. I kinda see them as 2a and 2b on the important to the team chart. Jet is what he is at this point. Not really a lot that he can improve on. Whereas Josh still has some upside. It might be limited but still more than Jet.

And most people know that the stat about the Mavs winning when Josh scores 20 is just a meaningless stat that makes for a good sound bite. That really has no bearing at all on his worth.

Maybe I titled the thread wrong. Perhaps it should've been " What will it take to keep Josh". I do agree that Josh shouldn't get as much as Jet. One problem is Josh being picked low and the Mavs getting him cheap. And then him watching Marquis get the big deal. He wants to get paid. Jet's new deal starts at 7.5 mil and final year is 11.4 mil. So on one hand, if Josh improves and is worth more than Jet in a year or two. Then is 13 mil for his final year really that much of a stretch? If they can get him for close to Jet money, over or under, that would be great. Will he go for it is the question. Or will egos and agents get in the way?

Last edited by Silent Mav : 08-23-2006 at 09:58 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: