Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Jermaine O'neal is overrated

Jermaine O'neal keeps popping up in trade discussions... the guy is 30 years old in October, has been plagued by injuries last 3 years, has NEVER shot 50% from the field and is not a great rebounder for a 7 footer... the only thing he brings is blocked shots... his best years were 4-5 years ago... we need someone in their prime.... NOT JERMAINE ONEAL!
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jermaine O'neal is overrated

JO has been playing on a terrible team. And the only reason Chicago would even go after him is if they drafted Rose, and putting O'Neal with Rose along side Tyrus Thomas could have a similar effect to Paul, Tyson and West. Not nearly as good, but could have a similar effect. Put Deng next to those 3 and your set.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
kshutts1
Great college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

If possible, I agree with both of you at once. Yes, he's past his prime, etc, and why would we want him, but this is why:

You get JO, you are trying to win now, for the next 3-5 years.
During that window, Rose and Deng will only get better, as will Noah or TT (one of them would need to be dealt to get JO), and that would be a solid foundation for the future.
Because of his injury history, JO probably has the legs of a 28 year old, as I'm betting he's missed at least 2 years of basketball combined. Once you factor the fact that his team sucks and hasn't been in the playoffs in a few years, his "legs" are infinitely younger than Duncan's or KG's, Kobe's, etc and perhaps he'll be able to play longer because of it?
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
If possible, I agree with both of you at once. Yes, he's past his prime, etc, and why would we want him, but this is why:

During that window, Rose and Deng will only get better, as will Noah or TT (one of them would need to be dealt to get JO), and that would be a solid foundation for the future.
Because of his injury history, JO probably has the legs of a 28 year old, as I'm betting he's missed at least 2 years of basketball combined. Once you factor the fact that his team sucks and hasn't been in the playoffs in a few years, his "legs" are infinitely younger than Duncan's or KG's, Kobe's, etc and perhaps he'll be able to play longer because of it?

I think " win now" is a flawed plan... this team will need 2-3 years to develop... I know that hurts to hear, but this team is being built for 2011... not 2009... that's my opinion anyway... Tyrus and Rose are 2 years from being impact players...
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Adambomb
I airball my layups

Adambomb has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1

im gonna disagree with you man. Deng has reached his full potential as he actually degressed as a player last year. He can only score off picks and screens, cannot create and has a questionable jumpshot. Why do u assume ppl will just ""get better?" the only person i see gettin better over time is T-time and Rose in that equation.
Adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
mcm4life
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mcm4life has an OK reputation so far

Jermaine oneal is my second favorite player in the league he had a few injury seasons but once he's healthy again he will be a dominant force I remember just a few seasons ago he was 3rd in mvp voting he rebounds blocks shots and is a good low post scorer the bulls would b lucky 2 get him he can make a young player better
mcm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambomb
im gonna disagree with you man. Deng has reached his full potential as he actually degressed as a player last year. He can only score off picks and screens, cannot create and has a questionable jumpshot. Why do u assume ppl will just ""get better?" the only person i see gettin better over time is T-time and Rose in that equation.

To say Deng has reached full potential is just not true. He is just 22/23 and last year was a regression for every member of the bulls. I know of lot of people in Chicago seem to think he pressed ALOT and didn't play team ball as much as he had the 3 prior seasons because he turned the contract offer down and put a lot of pressure on himself to make a bigger payday. I would be absolutely stunned if after all the off-season changes and Deng is still here that he won't put up atleast his numbers from a 06-07, but probably a little better. PLUS----- I and others assume Deng will get better not for the simple reason of "just because" , NO, because he works hard, he is dedicated to the game, everyone knows Deng trains and lives to be better. I think you forget how much talent Deng has, he's a guy who would of been the number 1 player in HS if it weren't for a man named Lebron James back in 02'. After the core changes some and Deng's contract is figured out, I think Deng is ready to get back on track and keep improving his game to be a player on the cusp of all-star status. I know Derrick Rose would certainly elevate Deng's game.
Dengness9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
I think " win now" is a flawed plan... this team will need 2-3 years to develop... I know that hurts to hear, but this team is being built for 2011... not 2009... that's my opinion anyway... Tyrus and Rose are 2 years from being impact players...

Tyrus and Rose would need just next year together IMO to be impact players. After this upcoming season Tyrus will have been in the league for 3 years going on 4. Rose doesn't need 3 years to be an impact in the NBA. He went from HS to college pretty damn smoothly and was instantly the best PG in the NCAA as soon as he played his first game. His first season will have growing pains but year 2 could be amazing. I in know way think this team needs 3 years to develop. We don't know who the Bulls are gonna bring in and ship out through trades and FA, so it's really hard to even imagine when the roster will get shaken up as much I anticipate.

Only way we go after Jermaine O'Neal is if the price is totally lowered down to what he is worth right now not what he "could" be worth. The other condition is the obvious one in that his medical situation would have to be looking pretty clear which we all doubt. Plus if Jermaine is healthy i hardly see the Pacers trading him to central divison rival Bulls, unless they can pry a package of our young talent away, which then probably won't make it worth it on our end.

Last edited by Dengness9 : 06-01-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Dengness9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far

looks possible now unfortunately
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: