Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool
Default Teams that suck shouldn't draft for need.

So why am I seeing mock drafts with Mayo going anywhere from #4 to #7? The guy is clearly one of the top 3 players/prospects in this draft. It's Rose/Beasley/Mayo then everyone else.

I'll leave it at this. The team(s) past #2 that don't draft Mayo are going to regret it. Big time.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

FireMcFailPlease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Teams that suck shouldn't draft for need.

You sir, should become a preacher.
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pretty much true in all cases.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
So why am I seeing mock drafts with Mayo going anywhere from #4 to #7? The guy is clearly one of the top 3 players/prospects in this draft. It's Rose/Beasley/Mayo then everyone else.

I'll leave it at this. The team(s) past #2 that don't draft Mayo are going to regret it. Big time.
because people are guessing what the teams will do,not what they should do
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121

EXACTLY!!! That's what I try to say too to everyone. It doesn't mean s*** if guard is your deepest position if none of your guards are not good enough.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Right.

#1 is Kenyon Martin
#2 is Stromile Swift
#3 is Darius Miles

Thatīs how you draft. Oh wait...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

FireMcFailPlease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Right.

#1 is Kenyon Martin
#2 is Stromile Swift
#3 is Darius Miles

Thatīs how you draft. Oh wait...
According to wiki...the draft shouldve went..
1. Michael Redd
2. Hedo Turkoglu
3. Mike Miller
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
1. Michael Redd
2. Hedo Turkoglu
3. Mike Miller
Which still isn't very good. What a hideous draft that was. You know there's only been 3 All Star appearences from that draft (and I really feel uncomfortable about that considering one of them is Jamaal Magloire). I mean, you can't really fault any teams for who they drafted considering how terrible of a draft it was.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

2000 was disgustingly bad. 12 first rounds picks (I think) are already out of the league.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
2000 was disgustingly bad. 12 first rounds picks (I think) are already out of the league.
Just glancing at it, I think 15 essentially didn't play last season (that includes Chris Mihm and DeMarr Johnson who played 23 and 5 games respectively and Mihm didn't even play the season before and I'm not even sure if Magloire should be counted as he only played in 31 games and averaged a pathetic 9.2 minutes per game). Not only that, but only four first round picks are averaging over 30 minutes a game (Martin, Miller, Turkoglu, and Stevenson).
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

First, I don't agree that Mayo is the clear #3 in the draft, I think that goes to Bayless, but I also don't think picking for need is that bad when guys are so close. I personally think Bayless, Mayo, and Lopez are about equal in terms of potential, with Lopez obviously being bumped up to that level because of his position. To me I could understand any of them going 3, 4, or 5 in any order. If they think Lopez is on the same level as Mayo, why not take him?

But I do agree with this theory 9 out of 10 times. It is why I think the Bulls should take Rose despite having Hinrich and no post scoring, and why I think the Grizz should take Mayo even though they have Miller (and a slew of other young gaurds) and no one decent inside. I do however think this draft is full of average players and I think it is interesting that the 2000 draft is brought up because I don't think this class will be a whole lot better. Those first 3 drafts of the 00's were pretty bad, and I think this class has better guys at the top of the board, but not nearly as good overall as the last 5 drafts.

That is why I think this year is the perfect year to trade out if you are in the mid/late lottery and to move up and pick some pretty decent role players if you are a good team. Like if the Rockets could move up and grab Love to help them run the same offense Adleman had in Sacramento, the Suns have a great pick to get a need based player when there will be some good prospects still on the board, and I could even see the Jazz trying to move up to get a guy like Alexander to replace AK-47 to try to get over the hump in the Western Conference. Just think the Jazz could trade AK-47 and next years #1 to Portland to get Alexander. Then they draft Lopez at 23 and all of a sudden they have a young core of Williams, Brewer, Alexander, Lopez, and Almond. That is not bad at all looking at the next 5 or 6 years.

Sorry about the rant, I do agree with the theory put forth in this topic, but I don't agree that it makes Mayo the clear #3 pick at all.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
1. Michael Redd
2. Hedo Turkoglu
3. Mike Miller

Well, Nets went to the finals twice, and Martin was an important player in those teams, so I won't say they did a mistake.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
JusBlaze
I brick open layups

JusBlaze has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
First, I don't agree that Mayo is the clear #3 in the draft, I think that goes to Bayless, but I also don't think picking for need is that bad when guys are so close. I personally think Bayless, Mayo, and Lopez are about equal in terms of potential, with Lopez obviously being bumped up to that level because of his position. To me I could understand any of them going 3, 4, or 5 in any order. If they think Lopez is on the same level as Mayo, why not take him?

But I do agree with this theory 9 out of 10 times. It is why I think the Bulls should take Rose despite having Hinrich and no post scoring, and why I think the Grizz should take Mayo even though they have Miller (and a slew of other young gaurds) and no one decent inside.

That is why I think this year is the perfect year to trade out if you are in the mid/late lottery and to move up and pick some pretty decent role players if you are a good team. Like if the Rockets could move up and grab Love to help them run the same offense Adleman had in Sacramento,

Sorry about the rant, I do agree with the theory put forth in this topic, but I don't agree that it makes Mayo the clear #3 pick at all.

No, completely disagree. The Rockets do not need another low athleticism, undersized PF. We have Scola and Landry who combine to be more than adequate considering they are good-great players in their own right and that they play alongside Yao Ming.

The Rockets need an athletic 2-3 that can hit the open shot, defend, and basicly create a few plays so that McGrady doesn't have to the entire game. I'm thinking more along the lines of Brandon Rush, etc.

My dream scenario, however, is that the Rockets move up and draft O.J. Mayo for our PG spot. I believe he is absolutely the 3rd best player talent-wise. Possible second in the long run over Derrick Rose because O.J. Mayo will continually improve and possible overtake him in a few years. Beasley is easily the most talented in my eyes.
JusBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

Dont worry Minny Has its eyes set for Kevin Love . Mchale doesnt regret anything he does it us (fans) who regrets mchale for being a gm
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #15
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I agree with the Rockets picks, but Love is more talented than anyone the Rockets have, and I was thinking his passing would remind Adelman of Webber and Divac. I'm not saying I want it to happen, just using it as an example of teams maybe moving up to get guys that are need picks when teams are usually just getting the best player at that point in the draft.

And I really, really hope the Rockets don't get Mayo to be their PG. He is less of a PG than Francis. He is actually much closer to Mobley than Francis for that matter.

I like Rush, Douglas-Roberts, Walker, and if they fell Batum or Budinger for the Rockets.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: