Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 05-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
NY Comeback
Banned

Default Jamaal Tinsley, O'Neal, And Other Offseason Moves

For some reason, Indy doesn't get a lot of love on this board. They were only a game out of the playoffs, and it seems like they're one or two guys away from getting back to there. Very talented roster, some key young guys, I think Indy should get some more talk around here; so lets talk!

Jamal Tinsley. Imo, a great player, when he has his head on straight. I know he barely played this season, but given healthy, I think he can put up some quality numbers. What's your stance on this guy? I know at times he can become a distraction, but he has the capability of being a top 10 PG. You guys tired of giving him chances or what? Is it just time to shop him, and see what deals are on the table, or do you feel he can give you guys one more really good season?

Jermaine O'Neal. For quite some time, JO's been on the block, but nothing really seems to happen. Obviously on the decline, and becoming injury prone, do Indy fans believe he still has at least one more year in him? JO's best days are behind him, but imo, I think he still can be effective as a third option. If a team like Dallas, Philly, or Cleveland acquired him, I could see him possibly rejuvenate; nothing like an all star-esque season, but decent numbers for a player at this stage of their career. How willing would you guys be to trading him?(I also think he's a Free Agent this year, is the FO looking to resign him?)

The Other Players. Dunleavy, and Granger both had great seasons. Dunleavy was right up there with Turkuglu for Most improved. Granger had a nice season as well, averaging 20 a game. I know Diener raised a few eyebrows at times, showing he could be a decent player. What are some of your long term thoughts on these guys? Do you guys see Granger becoming the Go-to guy for the next couple years? What do you guys feel you need most this offseason?

Finally, is Indiana in rebuild mode? Just barely missing the playoffs, it would seem like they were only a player or two from being there. Or do you just blow it up, and go young? A big FA signing, imo would put them back in Playoff contention; so do you play it safe and sign a FA for the short term, or blow it up, and build young for the long term?

I'd really like to hear what some Indy fans think about these issues.
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley, O'Neal, And Other Offseason Moves

Seeing that the Magic don't use JJ Reddick, I think he would be another good bench player for the Pacers. A good catch and shoot guy.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Wow, I started posting a big long reply to this, then got to the JO paragraph and was like "did you miss..."

What a random bump. Anyway, no need for Reddick. Backcourt's crowded as is. Sure he could be a good fit, but there's shooters everywhere that we can sign for peanuts (see: Kareem Rush) if that's what we want. Move Tinsley for any big of equal contract length (unless we get some crazy offer).
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
NotALakerTroll
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Comeback

Jermaine O'Neal. For quite some time, JO's been on the block, but nothing really seems to happen. Obviously on the decline, and becoming injury prone, do Indy fans believe he still has at least one more year in him? JO's best days are behind him, but imo, I think he still can be effective as a third option. If a team like Dallas, Philly, or Cleveland acquired him, I could see him possibly rejuvenate; nothing like an all star-esque season, but decent numbers for a player at this stage of their career. How willing would you guys be to trading him?(I also think he's a Free Agent this year, is the FO looking to resign him?)

I'd really like to hear what some Indy fans think about these issues.

I think JO could still be effective as a third option. The only problem is that he has an over-inflated ego problem. He doesn't want to be the third option.
NotALakerTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALakerTroll
I think JO could still be effective as a third option. The only problem is that he has an over-inflated ego problem. He doesn't want to be the third option.

if that's the case, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds up there next season. woohoo!
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALakerTroll

I dont think so. He doesnt have the passing ability to be effective as a 3rd option. He needs the ball in the paint to be effective. He would be a solid #2 option. But his game is in the post and with the ball in his hands, so I doubt he would be a great 3rd option. He doesnt do enough w/o the ball to be a great 3rd option
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I dont think so. He doesnt have the passing ability to be effective as a 3rd option. He needs the ball in the paint to be effective. He would be a solid #2 option. But his game is in the post and with the ball in his hands, so I doubt he would be a great 3rd option. He doesnt do enough w/o the ball to be a great 3rd option

agree with you. JO is capable to be a good #2 option if he plays for a playoff team and if he really wants to play and win.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:

I agree and disagree. JO's a bit of an underrated passer, it's just that he doesn't do it. Who knows, maybe he'll shed the ego and embrace the 2nd/3rd banana role in Toronto and show it more often.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I agree and disagree. JO's a bit of an underrated passer, it's just that he doesn't do it. Who knows, maybe he'll shed the ego and embrace the 2nd/3rd banana role in Toronto and show it more often.

Well if he doesnt pass, does it matter if he is underrated or not? Maybe he has the ability to be a decent passer, but if he doesnt pass, its really meaningless. And its really hard for players to change who they are.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
And its really hard for players to change who they are.

Not if you ask Raptor fans.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Not if you ask Raptor fans.

lol so true
Old 09-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I think Tinsley needs to go. In looking at his stats on nba.com, he has only played 80 games once, and 4 out of the last 5 seasons, he has played 52 games or fewer. His assists numbers seem pretty pedestrian for a starting point guard, and his field goal percentage is horrendous.

Hopefully, for the sake of Pacers fans, they don't keep him around much longer, or they give him a reduced role.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I think Tinsley needs to go. In looking at his stats on nba.com, he has only played 80 games once, and 4 out of the last 5 seasons, he has played 52 games or fewer. His assists numbers seem pretty pedestrian for a starting point guard, and his field goal percentage is horrendous.

Hopefully, for the sake of Pacers fans, they don't keep him around much longer, or they give him a reduced role.

Well thats the obvious part. The hard part is finding someone to take him. Who wants an injury plagued point guard who has 3 years left on his deal? We all know his limitations and that he needs to be gone. But who really would desire to have Tinsley unless they give out a contract that is even worse than Tinsley's? Pacers are going to have to give up more and package him with others if they want to get something of value in return. Otherwise, with any deal for Tinsley, they will either get an even worse player or will have their cap situation become even worse
Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Well thats the obvious part. The hard part is finding someone to take him. Who wants an injury plagued point guard who has 3 years left on his deal? We all know his limitations and that he needs to be gone. But who really would desire to have Tinsley unless they give out a contract that is even worse than Tinsley's? Pacers are going to have to give up more and package him with others if they want to get something of value in return. Otherwise, with any deal for Tinsley, they will either get an even worse player or will have their cap situation become even worse

I was mainly responding to the OP who asked what our stance was on Tinsley.

There are alot of poorly managed teams with dumb GM's that would possibly take a chance on someone like him. I really thought coming out of college, that he would be a nice NBA point guard. There are probably those out there that feel like that player can still emerge somehow.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I was mainly responding to the OP who asked what our stance was on Tinsley.

There are alot of poorly managed teams with dumb GM's that would possibly take a chance on someone like him. I really thought coming out of college, that he would be a nice NBA point guard. There are probably those out there that feel like that player can still emerge somehow.

He had some solid seasons earlier in his career with the pacers. I always thought he was an above average distributer. But defensively, he is weak. And his jumper is shaky. Add injuries and heart to the mix and you get the Jamal we see today. Logically, no one would want to touch him. But like you said, there is probably someone out there dumb enough to gamble on him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: