Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default NBA Draft Game Thread

I know there are a lot of people who watch a lot of NBA and college basketball games, and considering we are in different areas we get to see a lot of different games. The premise of this thread is just to have a place to throw up anything you want about the games you watch. Maybe you notice a top prospect takes plays off on D, maybe you get to see a head-to-head matchup between two good prospects, or maybe you notice an NBA team really needs something they can address in the draft. Anything from a player's true height to rebounding position to weakness are good. If you get to see International games, maybe you can update people on the games you get to see over there.

The point of this thread is just to share info outside of what you can read anywhere on the Internet. Anything that catches your eye is worth posting.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation
Default Re: NBA Draft Game Thread

I've seen a couple of USC games, and here's what I like and don't like: Davon Jefferson is playing pretty well, and gives alot of fire to the team. I think right now he's just an athlete, and definitely needs to stay in school. Mayo is a cancer to the team, and needs to head to the NBA quickly. He trys to make everything his shot, and alot of times he ends up hurting his team. I think they'll miss his scoring, however, because there'll be times they need him to put up a bunch of points. There's another guy with the last name of Lewis that played with some fire in the Southern Illinois game, and I liked him. [Edit: Name is Dwight Lewis]

I get to watch alot of Big Ten games, thanks to the Big Ten Network, so hopefully I'll be able to give some opinions on Big Ten players.

Last edited by marny_navis : 12-02-2007 at 04:32 PM.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star

I watched part of the UConn/Gonzaga game today and a couple things stood out. First was that Austin Daye is no where near ready for the NBA. He may have all the tools to be a good NBA player, but against a physical team in UConn he was pushed around and took himself out of the game by getting frustrated. A couple times you could see him yelling and looking upset. His emotions were getting the best of him. One good things is that about half way through the 2nd half, he started to push back. He was giving elbows and working hard.

One guy that has impressed me in the past, and did nothing to change that in this game is Stanley Robinson. He will not be a star, but he just looks like a good NBA bench forward to me. He has pretty decent size, but he just plays hard, creates turnovers, keeps the ball alive, goes hard after the ball, and scores when he has a shot. He kind of reminds me of a Loul Deng/Matt Harpring/Paul Pierce hybrid, but of course I think will be more like Harpring in terms of NBA success.

Hasheem Thabeet wasn't much of an impact in the time I was watching, but I am still not sure how much like him. I do think he will be a little better in the NBA because the style of play will fit him better. He is athletic so he will be able to play in the more fast paced NBA, but he is still not strong enough, but of course that will change with NBA training. The one thing that does concern me is that the new NBA center is a lot different than it used to be. Thabeet may have become a good 10/10/4 block guy 15 years ago, but now I don't think he will be able to have that kind of impact. I think he would be a nice "piece player" who comes of the bench to play defense and wear down another big man. Unless you are a good team that just needs that extra piece, I wouldn't draft him in the lottery. I think he would do well on a team like Utah or maybe becoming the backup to Yao.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

#23 Clemson @ #5 Duke: Clemson's making a lot of turnovers, but they're a young team. James Mays it an energy player, but seems too slow to be an NBA guy. He's 6-9. No one, except maybe DeMarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson look like they could be very good NBA players. Maybe there's a couple of young guys, but I haven't seen any stand out. Kyle Singler looks too skinny for PF and too slow for the wing in the NBA.

Terrance Oglesby is doing a very good job right now. He can shoot, and appears to be a good passer/ball handler. If he can continue developing his ballhandling, he might find a spot in the NBA.

Iowa v. Michigan

Not many good players for Iowa. Tony Freeman, the PG, is okay, but he's probably not going to make it to the NBA. Seth Gorney is a slow big man with a good 3 point shot, but he's averaging 3 ppg and .8 rpg, so he's not gonna make the NBA. He's a senior. Cyrus Tate is an energy player, but he's only 6-8 and not tough enough to play in the NBA as a PF.

Last edited by The Big Three : 01-19-2008 at 07:21 PM.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I'm watching part of the Florida-Tennessee game, and this is my first look at Calathes and Speights. Calathes is a tall guard, and he's doing a lot of the ballhandling. He appears to be a good distributor, and he is only a Freshman. Speights is a Sophomore. Florida is a young team and I think we will see them rise back to national competitiveness in the next couple of years, provided both Calathes and Speights stay. I might watch some of Florida-Kentucky on Sunday, but I'd like to get a good introduction here. I've seen Tennessee play for about 1.5 games, so I'm gonna watch some more of them here, and then I'll catch them play more in the coming weeks. I just started watching college basketball extensively this past 2-3 weeks, so bear with me for now. I hope to finish the season strong and watch a lot of games, and the majority of tournament games, and then I'll have a fresh start next season with some good introductory knowledge and hopefully contribute better to this board. As for Tennessee, Chism seems too short to be a center in the NBA, not sure what his upside is.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
I've seen a couple of USC games, and here's what I like and don't like: Davon Jefferson is playing pretty well, and gives alot of fire to the team. I think right now he's just an athlete, and definitely needs to stay in school. Mayo is a cancer to the team, and needs to head to the NBA quickly. He trys to make everything his shot, and alot of times he ends up hurting his team. I think they'll miss his scoring, however, because there'll be times they need him to put up a bunch of points. There's another guy with the last name of Lewis that played with some fire in the Southern Illinois game, and I liked him. [Edit: Name is Dwight Lewis]

I get to watch alot of Big Ten games, thanks to the Big Ten Network, so hopefully I'll be able to give some opinions on Big Ten players.

I agree with what you said about Jefferson he can run and he can fly but not polished overall. Mayo is a chuck artist, he puts up about 3-5 shots a game where you say "what the **** are you doing?" He has just been killing time at USC before he goes pro. Dwight Lewis is very good shooter. I don't know if you are a USC fan or not but do you know anything about this 7'0 they have that is redshirting?
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
I agree with what you said about Jefferson he can run and he can fly but not polished overall. Mayo is a chuck artist, he puts up about 3-5 shots a game where you say "what the **** are you doing?" He has just been killing time at USC before he goes pro. Dwight Lewis is very good shooter. I don't know if you are a USC fan or not but do you know anything about this 7'0 they have that is redshirting?

No but I can check scout.com since my family's subscribed. Don't they also have some kid named Demar Rozen going there too?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I'm watching Stanford-USC. I watched UCLA-Stanford a couple nights ago, and I noticed just how much Brook Lopez means to the team, and he had a great game. In 43 minutes, he had about 18 points, 13 rebounds, maybe 5 assists without any personal fouls. Today I haven't watched much of the game, but I'm going to watch the 2nd half. USC's currently ahead, and Stanford might lose their 2nd game of the week. I'll probably report on the UNC-Duke game later tonight, and possibly on some other games as well as additional insight to this game.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was watching Eddie George the 7'7 guy. I learned a lot about him today. He is not an NBA player, he is too afraid to dunk it takes him 5-10 seconds to run half of the court. His way of scoring is just to throw the ball at the hoop, most of the time it hit the from rim. You'd think someone of his size could lay it up from anywhere in the paint. And the tallest guy on Winthrop I probably saw was 6'9 or 6'10 and they contained him very well. I think I will stand by my statement of a tree being more atheletic.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Kenny's not going to be an athlete in the NBA, but I think a team might take a chance on him in Summer League and maybe stick him on the roster in the future. George won't be running the floor a whole bunch, but he could be an effective non-rotational player that comes in at certain situations and uses his size to keep people out of the paint. I think he could be a contributor in the NBA, just not a rotational player.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He only averages in the teens in minutes so I'd imagine he'd be good for five to ten minutes max.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
He only averages in the teens in minutes so I'd imagine he'd be good for five to ten minutes max.

That's what I'm thinking too. Just a situational player in the NBA. But he'd definitely be a fan favorite of whatever team he's on.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

He is probaly two to three times bigger than the fans also.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #14
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

kenny will just get a tryout somewhere because of his size. It would be funny to see him aganist Murashan (the guy from the Billy Crystal movie.)
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #15
monthh
Local High School Star

I have only seen him against UNC, and I was actually pretty impressed. The guy is nothing more than a situational player as everyone has said, but this guy would keep everyone out of the paint. The only issue would be that everyone would try to dunk on him. He might get 3 blocks in 3 minutes, but he might also get dunked on 3 times.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: