Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Emulators and Roms?

Anyone into emulators? I've got Emulators for the NES, SNES, Sega, and PSX. I'm going to get a N64 one, too. [Goldeneye, here I come]

I'm having more fun playing old school games than I am playing my PS2.

I don't play NES much, but I've been playing a lot of Sega games like NBA Jam [Welcome to NBA JAM!], RangerX, Road Rash, Shinobi, Street Fighter, Streets of Rage, Toe Jam & Earl, and finally, my favorite, Vectorman!

I just dropped 68 with Charles Barkley on NBA Jam, LOL.

I just started getting games for SNES, and haven't been playing it much, but I will soon. I'm having trouble getting the PSX roms working correctly, and at the right speed. I tried MAME, but couldn't figure it out.

I also am downloading the original Warcraft. I loved that game.

Anyone else into Roms?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Emulators and Roms?

Yes. I am into Roms. I have a hacked psp with about 8 NES games, 25 Genesis games, and 70 SNES games. I also have Suikoden II which is a ps game, but I have it saved elsewhere due to space limitations. I also carry the whole SNES library of games in a flash drive so that I can switch out games.

Currently I'm trying to get throught Super Punch Out. In order to get to the Special Circuit I have to go 4-0 in each of the previous 3 circuits. I get to Super Macho Man and he whoops my a$$!
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation

The only emulator I ever tried was NESticle back in college. The timing was pretty weak, but it got me a few rounds of Punch Out in before class. I'd love to play some Road Rash again, that game was sick.

I've been looking at picking up a system that plays NES and SNES games from the original cartridges. Not to hijack your thread, hopefully its still on topic, but does anyone have experience with these? Called the FC Twin: http://www.amazon.com/TWIN-Video-Sys.../dp/B0011DLPOK

Just wondering if its the real deal or not.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
Yes. I am into Roms. I have a hacked psp with about 8 NES games, 25 Genesis games, and 70 SNES games. I also have Suikoden II which is a ps game, but I have it saved elsewhere due to space limitations. I also carry the whole SNES library of games in a flash drive so that I can switch out games.

Currently I'm trying to get throught Super Punch Out. In order to get to the Special Circuit I have to go 4-0 in each of the previous 3 circuits. I get to Super Macho Man and he whoops my a$$!

I still havent got the balls to try hacking my PSP yet. Damn, having those games sounds soooo sweet.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
I still havent got the balls to try hacking my PSP yet. Damn, having those games sounds soooo sweet.

My nephew says the whole hacking process took him about 10 minutes. He did it for me. He can also "unbrick " it if it fails. In other words, he can revive it if he screws it up. I recommend you find a friend or someone that knows how to do this. What's cool is that my 3 emulators and 100 old school games only take up about 130 MBs. It is cool, but it is taking time away from my psp games.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
rifleman
I airball my layups

rifleman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Anyone into emulators? I've got Emulators for the NES, SNES, Sega, and PSX. I'm going to get a N64 one, too. [Goldeneye, here I come]

I'm just d/led Project 64-1.6 for N64 games. I remember playing Hangtime and Wrestling games back in the day... now playing NBA showtime, which is pretty disappointing, and not just because Boston has a crap squad. Going to get NFL Blitz now.

Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the PSX roms working correctly, and at the right speed.

Which emulator are you using? Is it going too fast or too slow? If too fast, there might be a 'throttle' setting (turn that on).

Quote:
I tried MAME, but couldn't figure it out.
Get MAME32, which is alot easier to use with windows (no command prompt needed). Then paste your ROMs in the ROM directory. Double click your game to start. After the legal stuff, you press '5' to insert coins, '1' for player one, and you can press 'TAB' to configure stuff in game (like buttons/keys). I think default is left ctrl, left shft, enter... Plenty of good games on MAME... basically every arcade game ever made. I suggest Run and Gun, and NBA play by play (which I have a lonely thread about on this forum).
rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

I've had a whole library of emulators and Roms for a while now, probably since high school, which is quite a long time ago for me. Recently Game Informer started doing a section with tributes to old games, and I've seen some obscure ones I don't have that I'll have to look for like Brain Lord.

Last one I got was for N64. They finally got it right to where you can actually play most of the games, but it was hard to find roms for it last I checked.

I never found one for PSOne that worked. I have one for Sega Genesis, one for Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, GBA. I think I have a Turbo Grafix 16 one, but I'm not sure I ever actually messed with it, and I have one for arcade games... I think it's an old version of Mame.

I actually started F'ing around with a hex editor at one point, editting the old NBA Live game Roms, putting in my own players. I used to edit NBA Live '95 on the PC version back when it came out, so I had a little bit of an idea what fields to look for. I lost interest with it though. You more or less have to edit one field at a time until you figure it out. Use other existing players for examples and compare.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

I use to mess around with roms on ocassion. My favorite was Magic Engine
Thats how I was able to experience many great and unknown Japanese Hucards!

I use emulators/roms usually to try or sample something. I just can't get serious playing a game on my 15" moniter and generic controller…

I got nothing against roms and emulators but I personally prefer the real thing. I like sitting in my comfortable chair with the proper controller and playing on a proper television. I'm that wierd dude with 16 consoles hooked up to my tv… but thats my passion and I have fun doing it :)

One good thing about roms is that many cool Japanese RPGs have been language patched. Thats how I was able to play stuff like Suiken Densetsu III, Dragon Quest VI, Final Fantasy II & III Famicom, and many others!

Last edited by Sonic R : 05-23-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
I got nothing against roms and emulators but I personally prefer the real thing. I like sitting in my comfortable chair with the proper controller and playing on a proper television. I'm that wierd dude with 16 consoles hooked up to my tv… but thats my passion and I have fun doing it :)

<shrug> if you get yourself a good gamepad, it's not so bad. Beats blowing on cartridges. Mines old and doesn't work with my newer video card. Causes some kind of conflict.

I used to be good with computers, but I got tired of everyone asking me to fix theirs, so I let my knowledge lapse. If you don't keep up, you're pretty much screwed.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
rifleman
I airball my layups

For N64 (and other) roms, coolrom.com is google's top choice... just d/led NFL blitz...

romworld.net is my favourite for MAME roms
Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

I love Emulators and Roms, it's the only way I can play old-school games. I have the SNES, NES, N64 (doesn't work as well), Gameboy Advance, and Sega emulators. I use the SNES the most often, because of the sick array of Mario games, plus it's the only old-school system I have and only one of two consoles I currently own (along with the PS2).

For some reason, my Nemu64 (N64 emulator) doesn't work as well as I'd like. Sometimes it just stops frequently in a game, and says there's a graphic error or something. Are there any other emulators (for consoles) besides the ones I listed above?
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
Are there any other emulators (for consoles) besides the ones I listed above?

Magic Engine — for Turbo Grafx/PC Engine/Super Grafx

DEKA — for Sega Master System/Game Gear

Kega — For Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (also has support for Sega CD and 32X)

Quote:
RangerX

Just noticed this…

HELL YEAH!
Ranger X is sweet! Glad to know some one else here likes this game!
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
rifleman
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
For some reason, my Nemu64 (N64 emulator) doesn't work as well as I'd like. Sometimes it just stops frequently in a game, and says there's a graphic error or something. Are there any other emulators (for consoles) besides the ones I listed above?

Perhaps it is your ROMs? Try another N64 emulator (I use Project 64 v1.6) and if you've got the same probs, then I dare say your ROMs are the problem.

Anyone got suggestions as to what are good PC control pads to play emus? Or is there some way you can get your console controller to slap into a USB and work in the emu?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: