Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board
Default Changes on Team USA from Now, till '08 Olympics

After analyzing a good deal of games with the current team: What roster changes do you make? Who do you add? For what reasons? Who do you take away? etc. I would like this thread to be filled with good, classic conversation, with reasons backing statements up.

I must say, I am conflicted in certain moves, and damn positive in others.

Who I would positively keep:
1) Carmelo Anthony
2) Dwight Howard
3) Kirk Hinrich
4) Joe Johnson
5) LeBron James

Reasons: Best players thus far. Fill roles, and excel in them. With added time to gel, these pieces could be scary good. Their games have fit in and done pretty damn good at the international level. This list is filled with stars, and damn good role players. This is the glue that holds the team together. Flexible, with wide range of skills. You also have to keep at least 5 players for continuity factor.

On the fence about keeping:
1) Chris Paul.
Reason: People tell us he could be the best point guard in the league, by 2008. So far, he has been nothing short of dissapointing. His jumper is really weak (they said it had improved at the start of summer?) He can't defend anyone to save his life. And in all, he really hasn't even been penetrating THAT well. Do you keep him for potential and chemistry purposes? Or let him go?
2) Shane Battier.
Reason: I know he has been playing well. And I know he brings certain elements to the team that other player cannot or wouldn't want to bring. But in my mind, I also know he isn't a very good player nd sometimes I wonder if he could potentially be a liability. Especially when it comes to offense. Or whether or not we could upgrade his status with a better player?
3) Dwyane Wade.
Reason: Yes, he played great against China. A China team that has REALLY weak guard play. Not that it negates what he did, but it is the truth. It is also a team that refused to play zone. Which allowed Wade to play to his strengths. Other coaches in the World play zone, and as we know, Wade in those cases has been extremely bad. He damn well could've given the first game away to Puerto Rico with the way he was playing. On the plus side, he has played defense pretty well. Which is a pleasant suprise. But like I said earlier, that could be cause we were taking advantage of teams with weak guard play. He forced some steals and turnovers, but part of that could have been due to a) Puerto Ricos guards who over-dribble and push too much, or b) China's YMCA level guard play. Do you keep him for continuity sakes? But does he really deserve to be there? Do you ignore the sexy name of "Dwyane Wade" and come to the truth realization, that his game really doesn't excel in the international style of play, and get someone to replace him? What do you do with him? Cause for the most part, he has proven why he shouldn't be there, more than anything else.
4) Elton Brand.
Reason: He has played well at times, and in certain instances. He's kind of shakey. Can his spot be filled with younger talent? Possibly with more size? Someone who brings better skill to the international game? Or do you keep him because of his raport with Coach K, and his in game experience with Team USA?

Who positively needs to be let go, based on their play:
1) Chris Bosh
2) Brad Miller
3) Antawn Jamison

These people needed to be let go, because they really bring nothing to the table. They have shown nothing, and/or don't seem to be mentally into things.

Who I absolutely, positively add to this TEAM USA from the remaining roster:
1) Kobe Bryant
2) Michael Redd

These are the only two, as of right now, that I am dead positive about adding to the team. For one, Kobe is the best player in the game. And undoubtedly the best player that was supposed to be on the team. He has experience, is still in his prime, and has skills that no one on the team right now currently has. He can take you inside, keep it mid-range, and surely take you deep. He plays defense, his basketball savvy, and would be looked up to by fellow teammates. I would add Redd for the simple fact that his jumper is money, and it can give Team USA added insurance in regards to players who can actually shoot contested / or un-contested shots, in order to stretch the zone defenses the World likes to play.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

Is there goin to be different players invited to the '08 training camp. I could see these players invited

Paul/Hinrich/Gilbo maybe Deron/Felton
Kobe/Wade/Joe Johnson/Redd
LeBron/Melo/Battier
Bosh/Brand/Jamison
Amare/Dwight/Oden
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board

As of right now, I go:
PG - Hinrich / Paul
SG - Bryant / Redd
SF - Johnson / James
PF - Anthony / Battier / Odom
C - Howard / Amare (if healthy) / Brand

But things could change...
Old 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

bosh will be on the team so you don't have to waste your time pondering over it.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
The Mamba
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
bosh will be on the team so you don't have to waste your time pondering over it.
I don't know. I think he is one of the most expendable of the players. And arguably, one of the least talented people out there. Not to mention he is getting pushed around out there. Hell, SF like LeBron and Melo are banging in the blocks better than Bosh. I don't even think he was going to be here if Marion, Odom, and Amare either weren't injured or could've played in the WC. He really hasn't done much of anything.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

I agree, even though he hasn't played that well, I can't see them ditching Bosh at this point, too many coaches and GMs are too high on him to give up. Plus he's part of the 3 year commitment, which I assume requires commitment from both the player and team
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

I haven't been watching the games closely, but what's up with Brand. Why is he getting rated so low compared to the other US Forwards. Especially Amare, who hasn't played a sinle minute on Team USA.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
The Mamba
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I agree, even though he hasn't played that well, I can't see them ditching Bosh at this point, too many coaches and GMs are too high on him to give up. Plus he's part of the 3 year commitment, which I assume requires commitment from both the player and team
Everyone who is eligble on the roster invested in the 3 year commitment.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I haven't been watching the games closely, but what's up with Brand. Why is he getting rated so low compared to the other US Forwards. Bosh has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS being rated above Elton Brand under any circumstance.

if you listened to the people on here, you'd think melo was god....even though he was not clearly better than bosh during the last nba season. same goes for howard.

you should just ignore whatever goes on in japan.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
The Mamba
High School Starter

Yeah, that was in the last NBA season, Mr. Hippos. It has nothing to do with the here and now. Melo is an improved player, and Team USA's #1 scorer. Someone who's game fits best in International play. Howard is improving as well. He is killing people out there. And he is, by all means ready to surpass Chris Bosh.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

but mamba, bosh put up 22.5/9 as a 21 year old. he probably will be putting up around 25/11 come the olympics. you don't leave him off for odom.

plus, they're all friends so i don't think it would be the wisest move.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
if you listened to the people on here, you'd think melo was god....even though he was not clearly better than bosh during the last nba season. same goes for howard.

NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #13
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Yeah, that was in the last NBA season, Mr. Hippos. It has nothing to do with the here and now. Melo is an improved player, and Team USA's #1 scorer. Someone who's game fits best in International play. Howard is improving as well. He is killing people out there. And he is, by all means ready to surpass Chris Bosh.

this is what i mean. you guys are making all these assumptions by watching them play against asian scrubs....it worries me.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
The Mamba
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I haven't been watching the games closely, but what's up with Brand. Why is he getting rated so low compared to the other US Forwards. Especially Amare, who hasn't played a sinle minute on Team USA.
I'm not down on him. He's played well. But, do you upgrade for younger, possibly better talent? Amare, if healthy, is the best big man on the team. A healthy Amare, with an improved Dwight Howards is downright scary.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i'm not gonna turn this into another thread about bosh/melo/howard.

i simply am stating a fact that melo wasn't clearly better than bosh during the last nba season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: