Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Summer 2008 off-season transactions…

So what should the Pistons do this summer?

The season is done and now its time to look forward to the 08/09 season.

Agenda:

New coaching hire?
Trade players?
Draft (29th pick first round, 59th pick second round)

The players that will be the easiest to move are Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton. These guys are still quality players and have good value to appeal to other teams.

Chauncey Billups right now is not very easy to move with his contract.

Rasheed Wallace is on the final year of his $57 million contract he signed in the summer of 2004, so he could also have appeal to other organizations as an expiring contract?

This could very well be the end of an era as we know it…

Hang on Piston fans, it may be time for another rough 15 years…

Last edited by Sonic R : 05-31-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Re: Summer 2008 summer transactions…

I think we need to move Rip possibly. Its hard to break up a backcourt thats been successful for 6 years but I think Stuckey is a sure thing. The thing about Rip is that he'll probably bring the most value back. I think with him gone Tayshaun would do well getting more shots.
Do we take a chance on Jermaine O'Neal? Is there a way we can sign and trade for Okafor? Doubtful. We really need somebody to hold down the paint.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

okay after watching that game we definately need a player who will play down low in the paint

the only one we have right now is maxiell and sometimes rasheed. the offense will run so much smoother if we have a consistent post scorer.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Hate to say but it may be best for the Pistons and Rasheed Wallace to part ways. He is in the final season of his contract. We will need to address the front court for sure.

Michael Curry !! is a possible coaching candidate…
Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Okur is actually a free agent next year. The Pistons could try to bring him back without giving anything up in 2009. Rip is probably the piece that teams would be most interested in. I would hate to see him go. As it stands now the Pistons have one of the best back courts in the league, but Stuckey is going to be a beast in the future too and they are going to be forced to free up some minutes for him next year. I guess the question is, is there a team that is willing to give up a big for a small? Detroit needs help down low. I've been bringing that up since before this season. Most teams don't like to give up size, but Hamilton is still in his prime and has a nice contract.

What big men would even be available? The only ones I can think of are Jermaine O'neil, Eddie Curry, or Zach Randolph. All of which have terrible contracts and probably aren't going to get the Pistons back to the finals. I'm sure the Knicks would love to unload one of those contracts and bring in a player who is more suited for Dantoni's system but I would be against that trade.

They do have the #6 pick in the draft though. That's a pretty brilliant idea that I just came up with there. Richard Hamilton is worth a lottery pick. Imagine if we could trade him and go after one of the young 7 footers in the draft. The Pistons would go from old to young and energetic in no time at all. Maxiell and a young 7 footer down low, Stuckey in the back court, Prince is still young. Sheed and Billups would be the veterans of the team. I really like this idea. So let's see there's:

Anthony Randolph - LSU - 6'11" 220
Kosta Koufos - Ohio State - 7'1" 250
Kevin Love - UCLA - 6'9" 255
DeAndre Jordan - Texas A&M - 7'0" 240
Darrell Arthur - Kansas - 6'10" 215
Roy Hibbert - Georgetown - 7'2" 272
Robin Lopez - Stanford - 7'0" 255
Nathan Jawaii - Australia - 6'10" 270

There are actually plenty of mock drafts that have the Pistons taking Jawaii with their pick. I don't mention Brooke Lopez because I expect him to be the #3 pick and I don't think the Timberwolves want to make a trade. Hibbert could actually drop down to the 20's. The Pistons could trade their pick and possibly someone else to move up a bit and grab someone like that while keeping Hamilton. I think that would be an extremely smart move. Kosta has been projected anywhere from a lottery pick to the mid 20's. I don't think Kevin Love would be a solution. We already have a young 6'9" guy in Maxiell. I think Robin Lopez could be a good move too.

To me this is the best way to get some size next to Sheed. That would shore up our interior defense and rebounding while keeping our core intact and at the same time ensuring the Pistons will be winning for years after they are retired. McDyess could come off the bench and drain those 10-15ft jumpers. They still have Afflalo who seems like he could be a decent player to come in and play some defense in case Hunter retires.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The more I look into it, this seems like a the way to go. Hibbert is a guy who could be drafted anywhere from 15-20 and loves playing in the half court set. Detroit could trade up and get him. I see some mock drafts that have Detroit picking Chris Douglas Roberts with their pick. If he dropped down that far I wouldn't be against it because he would be a steal at that spot. People are predicting for him to drop to the late 20's and go to a team like San Antonio or Detroit. He may just be the steal of the draft then, because he can play the 2 or the 3 and is capable of dropping in 20 ppg. With him and Stuckey in the back court the Pistons would have a very bright future.

But we drafted Afflalo last year, and still have Hamilton to start. Throw Lindsey Hunter in the mix and we still have a lot of gaurds. This brings up another interesting scenario. What if they traded Hamilton to get into the lottery and try to get a player like a Brooke Lopez? Then drafted CDR with their pick. The kid is a starter in the NBA. It would be a heck of a gamble but Detroit could still put Stuckey and Billups in the back court with CDR coming off the bench, then have Prince, Sheed, and the person they draft at center.

Or just trade their pick and another piece to move up about 10 spots and get someone like Hibbert so you would have the same 4 starters in the 1-4 spots and Hibbert. Those are my ideas. I think the last one is enough to put Detroit in the Finals next year, the other one it might be two years, but they would be so young and athletic for so many years to come.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Trade Chauncey before people realise how bad his contract is.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

He's one of the best PG's in the NBA. This is a league in which teams that have great PG's thrive. I don't see that as a bad contract. Sure we have Stuckey who we could put in his spot but who backs him up? Where do you trade him and what do you get in return? LA would love to have him but they don't have the cap space and certainly aren't going to break up their core. Orlando would too but they don't have anything attractive to give up. Is their anything NY has that you would want? Cleveland has been dying to have a great PG there for years but do you want to send him to a division rival who has nothing to give in return? Boston would love to replace Rondo I'm sure but again they have no cap space and nothing to give in return. I'm sure Larry Brown would love to be reunited with Billups in Charlotte but who could we get in return from them.

I'm just thinking of teams with needs and they don't really have anything that will take us from the ECF to the finals. I think trading Hamilton may be smarter than trading Billups. Besides I have a Billups jersey and would hate to never be able to wear it again :)
Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Billups is the hardest to move because of his contract… I couldn't care less to have Larry Hughes or anyone on the Knicks roster…

Billups is also the guy that is in need of the most discipline. Since Brown left, he's become more of a chucker and less of what LB made him. Remember, Flip gave him the "green light" to shoot any shot he wanted when ever he wanted… Even though Coach Brown and Billups clashed, he played very disciplined and we were able to make it to the Finals.

Moving Hamilton will make Stuckey become more of a two guard. Not that anything is wrong with that but will surely change the offense. It is apparent the Pistons biggest weekness is in the front court and hopefully we can address that this summer.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

I've been hearing some slight possibilities that Rasheed could be shipped to Charlotte for Emeka Okafur.

Of course, its only speculation, but interesting none the less…

The fact that Larry Brown and Michael Jordan are there and they all have that tar heel connection make it very possible for such a thing to happen.

Joe Dumars has said that the core will be broken up and everyone is expendable.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

After what Joe D said I wouldn't be suprised if he shipped more than just Sheed. He could make a couple of different moves. We could also let Sheeds salary drop off after next year and make a run at one of the big free agents in 2010. I'm not convinced Okafur is a better player than Sheed. Who will match up against the big centers then? They would still have size issues down low.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
ChuckDaly
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ChuckDaly has an OK reputation so far

Rip is going nowhere. He is the most consistent piston, both in effectiveness, and effort, and is in his prime for a few years to come. Stuckey is 6'4" WITH shoes on. Big PG. Smallish SG. Unlikely to see him replace Rip. Regardless, the Pistons biggest need: Front court REBOUNDING and interior defense.

I should not need to remind everyone how we were man handled in the paint by K Perkins and Co. Given Joe's recent comments, Sheed is a goner. While his rebounding effort was inconsistent, he was easily one of the best on ball and help defenders at his position in the league. Subtract Sheed from next season and our defensive rebounding and interior D against the elite of the East goes from suspect to atrocious. Even WITH Sheed, our lack of defensive rebounding was the difference between winning and losing to the Cs.

It appears Joe is set on keeping Amir (barring a heavily one sided trade in our favor), and he's high on Maxiel too. Neither is a 5. Maxiel is 6,6 and Amir is a natural 4. So who to man the 5 for the years to come?

Names being thrown around that are not too far-fetched include the following:

1. Emeka Okafor (restricted FA)
2. DeSagana Diop (unrestricted FA)
3. Andris Biedrins (restricted FA)

Biedrins maybe the most desirable of the three, though it is hard to envision GS giving him up for anybody on the Piston's roster, and we are over the cap so won't be able to sign him outright. Don Nelson is on record as stating his big objective this coming season is to develop the young guys, versus making the playoffs at all costs like they attempted this season. So I can't see them swinging for the fences and giving up a young stud in Biedrins (plus others to make the salaries work) for a one year loan of Sheed, given the approach GS will be taking this coming season.

Will the MLE be enough to sign Diop? Is he a long-term solution at the 5 or the second coming of Nazr?

Okafor for Sheed is mentioned frequently for obvious reasons. But even if MJ&LB are willing partners, will he be enough to handle Dwight Howard (he seems to get eaten alive by Superman when they play, although in fairness so do most bigs) or KG in the playoffs? Maybe the best and only realistic option of the three?

Any other plausible options for front court help this off season or next? What team could use Billups at the point and give up a good 5 in return?
ChuckDaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
dd24
College superstar

Stuckey is listed at 6'5" which still doesn't make him a 2 gaurd. I don't really like the idea of breaking up any of our back court. The way the NBA is played now you need to have good gaurd play. Joe definately isn't getting rid of the young talent, that's for sure. But that is why I think it's also harder to get rid of Sheed. At least he can play D on a center. Maxiell and Johnson are too under sized. Maxiell is listed at 6'9" and didn't look too much shorter than the other fowards on the court. I can't imagine he's really 6'6". Guys generally don't like it when they are listed at completely different sizes.

Diop would be the next coming of Nazr. Sure he can play a little D but we need a guy who can do that and be a back to the basket scorer as well. Okafur wouldn't be a bad solution as a PF but that still doesn't solve our problems at C.

I can think of a ton of teams that would want Billups. I think I put this in another post. I just can't see what we would get in return and also it would put most of those teams in cap trouble. Orlando would love to have him but what can they give us? Also that would for sure make them title contenders and I'm pretty sure we don't want to do that. The Knicks would love to get a true PG but again do you want Eddie Curry or Zach Randolph? Not only as players but with the contracts they have? Obviously the Celtics could use a PG but they have nothing to offer and again that would make them title contenders. Miami wants a PG to put next to Wade but they don't have much to offer (unless they are crazy enough to give up the #2 pick). Cleveland would love to have him but he certainly isn't going there. When I think west coast teams most of them already have PG's. In the west you already have Kidd, Paul, Williams, Roy, Davis, etc etc. The Clippers may be looking for a PG is they think Livingston isn't going to be able to make a full comeback. Do you think they would give up Brand? Do you really want to pay him that kind of money? Again what do you do at the center position?

I think the only way to get a center is through the draft. If the Pistons can get a higher pick and go after one of the young centers in the draft I think that's their best bet at getting some size in the middle. It's still a gamble because not only is it difficult to judge how much potential someone has it's also unlikely to get someone who can step right in and contribute. The only positive thing to this would be hopefully they wouldn't need to break up the core this way and not as much would be expected at C except for some defense kind of like when we had Ben Wallace.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't think the Bobcats are gonna part with Okafor. Any deal would be for this and next year's 1st round pick plus a combination of players (Matt Carrol, Sean May, Ryan Hollins) for Sheed. Maybe you guys could throw Walter Hermann in there too?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

Two first rounders is enticing. I think the Pistons wouldn't mind getting rid of Hermann. This year is a #9 pick and next year could be the lottery too. That would be a heck of a good young team when you add those picks to Detroits current ones and the young guys we've drafted the last three or four years. They would still have 3 of their core veterans too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: