Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Default Ilgauskas out of Olympics

Quote:

For several months the Cavaliers, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and the Lithuanian National Team have been involved in a complex dispute over allowing him to play in this summer's Olympics. From the Cavs' standpoint the only one that matters in this case the matter is now closed.

The Cavs privately declined permission several weeks ago and publicly did so on Thursday. Ilgauskas is one of a dozen players in the NBA who needs permission to play for a national team because his contract is not fully insured.

''This is the last time I'll have a chance to play for my country,'' Ilgauskas said at the end of the season. ''It's something I wanted to do.''

The Luthuanians sent a petition with thousands of signatures to the Cavs but it didn't sway the decision. The Cavs are concerned about Ilgaskas' lower back, where he has a compressed disk that caused him to miss playing time this past season. His feet are also not covered by insurance.

''Zydrunas is an important member of our team and has generally been a higher risk player due to his injury history,'' Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry said. ''We declined consent for Zydrunas to play in the Olympics when he approached us several weeks ago, and in light of the inability to insure Zydrunas adequately, we continue to deny consent and will not permit Zydrunas to play in the 2008 Olympics.''

Brian Windhorst

kinda sucks for Z because he wants to play for his country, but as a cavs fan i'm pretty happy bout the decision.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Default Re: Ilgauskas out of Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
kinda sucks for Z because he wants to play for his country, but as a cavs fan i'm pretty happy bout the decision.
true. he's in his mid thirties and i dont want him to get hurt. he's a big part of the cleveland cavaliers.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Same. I feel really sorry for Z that he can't play for his country because he's been so loyal to us and I wish we could give him that chance, but I just don't wanna risk him getting hurt
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

This is only good news for our Cleveland Cavaliers. But I really wanted to see Z in the olympics.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Yeah, well I think it's crap. Z's stuck by the Cavs through some shi++y years, and he hasn't been injury prone in years. This is probably going to be his last chance to fullfil a personal dream, and show his pride for his own country, but again the almighty american greed puts him down.

Z's a good player, but at this point in his career, and with our current coaching staff, the sad thing is, he isn't irreplaceable. This is just poor conduct by the Cavs organization, period.

We're not a title team without some moves or some guys really turning their careers around anyways, and that's the harsh reality of it. Let the guy play.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Z isn't an injury prone player anymore. In fact, he's been one of the more durable players in the NBA the past 5-6 years.

I think it's unfortunate they won't let him play. Ya gotta figure he's using part of the offseason to train/condition anyway. What's the harm in letting him be involved with international competition?

What a slap in the face to a guy who has demonstrated nothing but loyalty. Never complained. A true professional. I'm bothered by this.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: