Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default True or False: Whites are better in bands/Blacks as solo artist?

Would y'all call this a true statement ... Well let's see ...

WHITE BANDS
The Beatles
Th Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Who
The Beach Boys
Pink Floyd
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Queen
The Police
The Kinks
The Eagles
ect.

-----

BLACK SOLO ARTIST
James Brown
Ray Charles
Stevie Wonder
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Michael Jackson
Prince
Otis Redding
Sam Cooke
Little Richard
Curtis Mayfield
Chuck Berry
ect.

Is this a fare statement to make?
Of course it works the other way around also ...

BLACK BANDS
Sly & the Family Stone
Parliament / Funkadelic
Earth, Wind & Fire
The Isley Brothers
ect.

-----

WHITE SOLO ARTIST
Elvis Presley
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
David Bowie
ect.

but not so much.

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 06-01-2008 at 01:38 PM.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: True or False: Whites are better in bands/Blacks as solo artist?

You may be on to something. The Black artists you list for the most part were all prodigies and/or virtuoso multi-instrumentalists.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
cartmanclone

maybe.........YOu're just counting the bands and Singers in America, what about the whites and blacks in South America, Europe and Africa....
Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Already false because:

Tom Verlaine > James Brown
Funkadelic > Led Zeppelin
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Already false because:

Tom Verlaine > James Brown
Funkadelic > Led Zeppelin

I can buy Funkadelic being better than Led Zepplin, but Tom Verlaine can't touch James Brown. There are a lot of guys who can pull of what Verlaine pulls off, but James Brown is one of a kind.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanclone
maybe.........YOu're just counting the bands and Singers in America, what about the whites and blacks in South America, Europe and Africa....

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
The Beatles
Th Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Who
The Beach Boys
Pink Floyd
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Queen
The Police
The Kinks
ect.
All bolded bands are from England, which, incase you didn't know, is in Europe.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher

There are a lot of guys who can pull of what Verlaine pulls off

You may not like his music, but he is one of a kind. Trust me, I've looked, and there is no one that does what he does.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
You may not like his music, but he is one of a kind. Trust me, I've looked, and there is no one that does what he does.
Johnny Lang comes to mind.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Johnny Lang comes to mind.

If you had said Richard Thompson I could see it, but Johnny Lang is a blues man.

Verlaine's whole thing is that he stays as far away from blues as possible.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
If you had said Richard Thompson I could see it, but Johnny Lang is a blues man.

Verlaine's whole thing is that he stays as far away from blues as possible.
I hear a lot of blues elements, a little post-punk, obvious rock influences, and some folk when I hear Verlaine.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Then I'd gues you haven't heard a lot of Verlaine.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Then I'd gues you haven't heard a lot of Verlaine.
Television was always difficult for me to describe, mostly because I think they are grossly overrated. I know they proceed Joy Division, and the Pixies, but that is who they sound like to me.

Kizzle add David Bowie to you OP
Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I wasn't talking about TV man.

And don't go there.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Television was always difficult for me to describe, mostly because I think they are grossly overrated. I know they proceed Joy Division, and the Pixies, but that is who they sound like to me.

Kizzle add David Bowie to you OP
David Bowie isn't a band, he's a solo artist
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Dasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
David Bowie isn't a band, he's a solo artist
I think he should be added to the white solo artists.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: