Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
ryantheporchkid
No Pun Intended

ryantheporchkid has decent reputation
Default Re: True or False: Whites are better in bands/Blacks as solo artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Elvis, Bruce, Lennon, Bowie aren't legends?
Well it's easy enough to remember Dylan and Cash.
hell you could have included NIN.
ryantheporchkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Some greats that were forgotten

White Bands:
Grateful Dead
Radiohead
Tool

White Solo Artists:
John Lennon
Neil Young
Elton John
James Taylor
Nick Drake
Jeff Buckley

Black Bands:
The Jimi Hendrix Expierence or Band of Gypsies
Bob Marley and the Wailers

Black Solo Artists:
Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock

...I don't know... In reggae alone, you have a ton of great black bands. I could have listed a bunch.

In the mid-70s, there were a lot of great white soloists (headed by John Lennon, Neil Young and Bob Dylan).
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Whatabout:

The Roots
Public Enemy
Wu Tang Clan
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #34
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Well, according to Wikipedia, a band consists of two or more musicians. So, I would classify them as a band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_%28music%29

well, then should we include all the great soul groups? all the great rap groups?

L Kizzle: i think the big difference is that when you talk about bands, you do not account for the difference in styles between "black" and "white" music. generally speaking, black artists and musicians simply do not play the type of music where bands are commonplace, i.e. rock music. though there are many great black groups, meaning just singers. of course, you already know this, so why not take it into account?

this is kinda like me making a thread called "blacks are better rappers/whites are better country musicians".
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #35
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Elvis is a stiff. His music sucks.

Elvis was groundbreaking at the time...

come on dude...you're better than that
Old 06-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #36
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
generally speaking, black artists and musicians simply do not play the type of music where bands are commonplace, i.e. rock music.

Funny cause last I checked black people invented rock music.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #37
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
generally speaking, black artists and musicians simply do not play the type of music where bands are commonplace, i.e. rock music.

Uhhh...blues, jazz?

Who is this kid?

Quote:
In the mid-70s, there were a lot of great white soloists (headed by John Lennon, Neil Young and Bob Dylan).
I'm getting confused here. Why is Neil Young a solo artist but not Hendrix? They both played with full bands.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #38
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

You forgot to put Bloc Party down in black bands
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #39
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

How come nobody's mentioned Simon & Garfunkel, Black Sabbath, Guns & Roses, Tracy Chapman, Nina Simone, Bob Marley? Not that I'm gonna make a contribution to this discussion (yeah I'm a lazy kunt), but it would just be good to at least see them be mentioned.
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #40
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I'm getting confused here. Why is Neil Young a solo artist but not Hendrix? They both played with full bands.
Some of Neil Young's most successful work, like the album 'Harvest' for example, is a solo project.

Jimi never did an album that wasn't either with Experience or Band of Gypsies.

I think the difference is pretty distinct.

Neil is known as a guy that simply cannot stay in a band. Crazy Horse has been the exception, but that is more of a side project than a main-stay. He is always bouncing around, doing his own thing.

Jimi COULD be considered a solo artist, since he wrote all of the songs and, in the recording studio, played most of the instruments. But, again, his short-lived career was spent with a band around him. It is tough to separate him as 'solo', but I wouldn't fight with you about it.

Clearly, Hendrix WAS the Experience and, to a lesser extent, Band of Gypsies (those guys were great musicians... better than the Experience guys).
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #41
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junny
How come nobody's mentioned Simon & Garfunkel, Black Sabbath, Guns & Roses, Tracy Chapman, Nina Simone, Bob Marley? Not that I'm gonna make a contribution to this discussion (yeah I'm a lazy kunt), but it would just be good to at least see them be mentioned.
I mentioned Bob Marley... don't forget the Wailers.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #42
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Btw... Slash from Guns 'N Roses is a black man (half black).

Does that mean that Guns 'N Roses falls under the 'black' label or are we going to add a new 'mixed' category?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #43
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Btw... Slash from Guns 'N Roses is a black man (half black).

Does that mean that Guns 'N Roses falls under the 'black' label or are we going to add a new 'mixed' category?
I think majority rules. Sly had a white drummer in the band but I (like most) sonsider Cly & the Family Stone a black band (maybe because of Sly LOL)

But then you have a band like Tower of Power or War, those would be hard to categorize.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #44
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I think majority rules. Sly had a white drummer in the band but I (like most) sonsider Cly & the Family Stone a black band (maybe because of Sly LOL)

But then you have a band like Tower of Power or War, those would be hard to categorize.
Yes... there are other examples of the mixed band, but I think that Slash is an even more intriguing example. While Sly did have a white drummer, he was not a feature of the band, really.

A lot of people (including myself) would argue that GNR's biggest asset was Slash. He wrote all of the music for the band.

Some may even say that, while Axel was the frontman, Slash was equal in stage presence.

I mean... Experience was all white except for Jimi, but I consider it a black band because Jimi WAS the Experience. He wrote all of the songs and even played most of the instruments in the studio.

Slash is a different case all together....or maybe THE SAME kind of situation with GNR? Tough call...
Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #45
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Funny cause last I checked black people invented rock music.

well smart guy, back then rock music was a whole nother thing than it is now, and all the more prominent acts were solo artists. rock bands as they are put together today weren't around back then.
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: