Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 06-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
ScolaFan
Spurs Forum Moderator

ScolaFan has decent reputationScolaFan has decent reputation
Default Spurs face tough calls on older free agents

Quote:
Web Posted: 05/31/2008 09:57 PM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

Three members of the Spurs' core, each a veteran of at least 11 seasons, will become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Average age of Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Kurt Thomas: 36.

Could a team hoping to get younger and more athletic seriously consider returning all three for next season?

Finley, who started 61 games and increased his scoring average by more than a point over 2006-07, would love to return to the Spurs.

“I'm not ready to hang it up yet,” he said Saturday, after the final meeting with coaches at the team's practice facility. “I still feel I can give a team some added help.

“In a perfect world, I'd love to stay here and help reclaim a championship. But I understand it's a business, so from that standpoint, I have to remain open-minded.”

Finley, who signed with the Spurs in 2005, said he hasn't thought much about free agency. The sting of losing to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals remains too fresh.

“I haven't had time to think about being a free agent,” Finley said, “but it is my future, so it's something that, at some point, I will have to sit down with my agent and my family and make a decision about what we have in store.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...s.344d188.html
ScolaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
PEN 16
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PEN 16 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Spurs face tough calls on older free agents

I honestly wouldn't mind if we let all of them walk. I doubt we bring back Vaughn, Stoudamire, and Johnson, Barry and/or Finley should be let go as well, Horry's time with us is probably done, and the only free agent I think we should re-sign is Kurt Thomas, and I wouldn't be disappointed if he went elsewhere, either. We need an infusion of young talent around The Big Three. I think we should give Mahinmi some minutes next year, draft a player like Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis that can give us some contribution right away, and acquire a backup point guard. If we can do that, along with get some more young athletes under the age of 30, then we could contend for a championship again next year. We aren't going to win one with the same cast of players as we have now though; some changes need to be made.
PEN 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEN 16
I honestly wouldn't mind if we let all of them walk. I doubt we bring back Vaughn, Stoudamire, and Johnson, Barry and/or Finley should be let go as well, Horry's time with us is probably done, and the only free agent I think we should re-sign is Kurt Thomas, and I wouldn't be disappointed if he went elsewhere, either. We need an infusion of young talent around The Big Three. I think we should give Mahinmi some minutes next year, draft a player like Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis that can give us some contribution right away, and acquire a backup point guard. If we can do that, along with get some more young athletes under the age of 30, then we could contend for a championship again next year. We aren't going to win one with the same cast of players as we have now though; some changes need to be made.

We are obviously in need of change. As for the roster we have now, the players who I definitly don't see coming back are Horry, Barry, Johnson, Vaughn, Oberto. Michael Finley still has some athleticism in him to be able to come in off the bench and produce in the scoring column. Also, with him, I'd say Kurt Thomas we might have to resign. Even if he doesn't give us alot of minutes. We have been hurting at the center position ever since David Robinson retired and it isn't going to be easy to find another big man like Kurt Thomas. Even if we only sign to a one year contract, we are not going to find any big men of his value on the free agent market that we can afford.

I love the talk of us drafting Chris Douglas-Roberts. If he is available when our name is called during the draft, I am going to be very disappointed if we don't select him. He can run both guard positions, is a leader, and can score the basketball. Could he possibly be a future piece to put in the backcourt with Tony Parker?

Also, now that we let Mahinmi get a starting role with the Toros (whom he took to the NBADL Championship as their starting C), he might just be ready to be in a Spurs uniform full-time next season. In his time he played with the Spurs last season, he made alot of little mistakes but looks to have alot of potential. Has the size at 6"11 if I remember correctly and I see him being a good future big man after Duncan calls it quits.

There's so many options and I am so anxious to see how the Spurs will end up over the next few years. But with the management they have, it's hard to doubt them.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Hopefully you let all them go. I head that J.R. Smith is a big name on the Spurs radar and I'd love to see the Spurs get younger before Duncan, Ginobli and Parker are out of their prime so they don't lose a step.

Maybe consider going the Portland route and buying picks and sign and trading some of these vets for future picks?
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

I think the Nuggets are looking to keep JR Smith. But if they did let him go, I would like to see him come to the Spurs if he keeps his off the court problems to a minimum.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
PEN 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
Hopefully you let all them go. I head that J.R. Smith is a big name on the Spurs radar and I'd love to see the Spurs get younger before Duncan, Ginobli and Parker are out of their prime so they don't lose a step.

Maybe consider going the Portland route and buying picks and sign and trading some of these vets for future picks?

Wasn't that just an idea that Buck Harvey thought of? I'm pretty sure that's all it was; he would be a help on offense, but if he doesn't buy into our defense-first mindset and limit his poor shot selection, then he's a waste of our cap space. He's got too much baggage, IMO.

I don't think we have enough money to go around buying picks, and besides; we already have picks 26, 45, and 57. We probably won't be looking to add to those numbers. As for trading our vets for future picks, what veterans could we trade? Oberto is useless in trade; everyone knows he sucks, and all we could net for him would be a 2nd rounder. We've got 7 players that are upcoming free agents, and of the remaining players on our roster (Ime Udoka, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, and Ian Mahinmi), I doubt we would want to trade any of them. We're probably going to be stuck using our picks this year and hoping they give us some value down the road, and sign a couple of free agents to add depth in the offseason. We really don't have much trade flexibility because we have the 7 upcoming free agents, and the rest of our team is old, and it's hard to sign players when The Big Three take up the majority of your cap space. I don't think we'll make any big moves this offseason.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I speaking of sign and trading the like of Finley, Horry, Barry, Bowen, Stoudamire.

You have the new age Bowen already in place with Ime Udoka so no need for Bruce Bowen IMO.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
PEN 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I speaking of sign and trading the like of Finley, Horry, Barry, Bowen, Stoudamire.

You have the new age Bowen already in place with Ime Udoka so no need for Bruce Bowen IMO.

Bruce Bowen is still MUCH better than Udoka, and we'll need him in the playoffs next year to defend the Kobe, T-Mac, and other explosive perimeter players. We tried Udoka on Bryant in the playoffs, I believe in Game 1, and while Bowen was sitting out and "the new age Bowen" defending the best player in the game, the Lakers were able to make a 20+ point comeback. Bowen is a great perimeter defender that we'll need come playoff time next year. Udoka's good, but he's not on Bowen's level, and Bowen is still a very important player for us. Besides, what would we get in return for him? And Finley, Horry, Barry, and Stoudamire would net us pretty much nothing in a S&T. Each of them are on the brink of retirement, and except for maybe Finley, none of them are worth anything to another team.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
mrspurs

mrspurs has an OK reputation so far

anyone see how PJ brown came out of retirement and imo helped boston win a ring......there are bigs out there that can help timmy...but if we want a second downlow option (like so many of the other top west teams had)then we have to trade someone...our draft went well...now lets get timmy some help...cos if we comeback with the same bigs we have now...imo we will have a hard time getting back into the WCF much less win it all....go spurs go
mrspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: