Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #31
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board
Default Re: Raptors Draft

after the draft combine results were released i think all chances of joe alexander dropping to 17 went out the window. This guy defines "athlete" and with talent like that, i dont know how he wont shine against the competition in his team workouts. i was so disappointed that budinger didnt participate, wouldve had the top vert, and it wouldnt have been close. I really like mcgee though, and i think we need to get into the 2nd round and pray that JJ hickson is still available. He is a massive sleeper in this draft.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I think we should get Bill Walker in the second round. He is a very talented player. He just has injury problems at Kansas. If he wasn't injured I'm sure he would be a top ten pick in this years draft.
i doubt he will be there in the 2nd round, also we dont have a second round pick, as much as i want him on the team, i cant see us aquiring him
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #33
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I think we should get Bill Walker in the second round. He is a very talented player. He just has injury problems at Kansas. If he wasn't injured I'm sure he would be a top ten pick in this years draft.

I think it was Qwijybo who made the point in another thread that Bill Walker has a little too much Joey Graham in him, which I think is pretty accurate. That said, in the event the Raps do acquire an early 2nd-rounder I wouldn't be outraged if he was the pick.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #34
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

If the Raptors can trade up with Indiana or someone in that pick range to get Joe Alexander I think it would be well worth it.

Quote:
Raptors get:

Jeff Foster

Indiana gets:

TJ Ford

Raptors get a tough rebounding Center.. would have there pick of Alexander, Budinger, Rush, Greene, or Batum..

Pacers get an uptempo point guard without having to draft and develop DJ Augustine, and can draft the best available player at #17 (McGee, Hibbert, Greene, Rush, etc.)
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #35
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
If the Raptors can trade up with Indiana or someone in that pick range to get Joe Alexander I think it would be well worth it.

Raptors get a tough rebounding Center.. would have there pick of Alexander, Budinger, Rush, Greene, or Batum..

Pacers get an uptempo point guard without having to draft and develop DJ Augustine, and can draft the best available player at #17 (McGee, Hibbert, Greene, Rush, etc.)

Other then Alexander, one of Batum, Greene, Rush and Budinger will be there at #17 as it stands anyway.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #36
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain

I wouldn't hate that, assuming Alexander is the pick and not one of the other 4. What does Foster's contract look like?

I wonder whether a team like Indiana would rather just draft Augustin or Westbrook though, rather than take on a pretty big contract like Ford's. Ride out the rest of Tinsley's contract while the draft pick develops, rather than have two expensive PG's on the roster with the guarantee that whoever isn't starting will be pouting to the point of being a distraction.

Assuming Westbrook can do a respectable job playing the point, he'd be a slam dunk for Indy at 11, and if I'm a team like that looking for a little excitement and youth while not overspending, I'll take Westbrook over TJ in a heartbeat.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #37
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
I wouldn't hate that, assuming Alexander is the pick and not one of the other 4. What does Foster's contract look like?

I wonder whether a team like Indiana would rather just draft Augustin or Westbrook though, rather than take on a pretty big contract like Ford's. Ride out the rest of Tinsley's contract while the draft pick develops, rather than have two expensive PG's on the roster with the guarantee that whoever isn't starting will be pouting to the point of being a distraction.

Assuming Westbrook can do a respectable job playing the point, he'd be a slam dunk for Indy at 11, and if I'm a team like that looking for a little excitement and youth while not overspending, I'll take Westbrook over TJ in a heartbeat.

This is a good point. If Westbrook or Augustine fall to Indy, there isn't much reason to take on Ford. However, if Indy blindly sees themselves as a playoff team (they just missed and that was with JO and Tinsley missing tons of games), they might want a more experienced PG. If I were Indy, I'd just take Westbrook if he's there to play behind Tinsley and then take over once he gets hurt. Dunleavy handles the ball a lot for them anyway.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #38
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

All the mocks drafts seem to have the Raptors picking for a Big Man in the middle that can provide Defense. I mean in revised after riveise - they all are moving to big men. Where there is smoke there is fire?

Everyone else seeing that?

Makes me go hmmmmm..

I highly doubt they (the Management from BC to Sam) have given up on Barges yet - so Barges plays "big 3" and they roll out big lines ups with consistency. Barges might be in pretty deep trying to guard a small quick 3 but with help from Parker et all on rotation ...hmmm

5 - Rasho then the new guy
4 - Bosh then Barges and Humph in rotation
3 - Barges then one of "pick x in rotation". Delfino if signed. Joey?
2 - Parker then one of "pick x in rotation" Delfino if signed.
1 - Calderon and TJ assuming TJ is not moved.

Last edited by Jballer : 06-16-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #39
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Ohh yes...

They underlying assumption here is that all or at least most of these "trade X and y" for " C and D" are all cludge.

None of it gets done with the possible exception of a TJ deal.

Period.

The Raps exercise the 1st rounder and try to get a big man they like at 17 or trade down a couple of spots to get the same big man, a bucket, a mop and a return trip to Disney.

A TJ deal gets us back a couple of pieces and is more in the way of a salary dump. Longish terms for not quite so longish terms.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #40
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I'd hate to see Bargnani at the the 3. His offensive game so far is derived from big men not following him out on to the perimeter so he has an open look most of the time. This won't happen with a 3 covering him which can recover a whole lot faster.

His options against 3's are then limited to putting the ball on the floor ( ) or posting them up ( ). Also the obvious hilarity will ensue once he tries to guard a small forward who has any sort of offensive game.

Andrea's best shot to succeed is at the 4, which sucks for us.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #41
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

http://realgm.com/src_twoplusthefoul...draft_preview/

Quote:
Who Should the Raptors Target?

For more in-depth analysis and background regarding the players that the Raptors should target in this year’s Draft, click on each player name to be redirected to Christopher Reina’s Prospect Report piece.

- Robin Lopez of Stanford

For a team looking to add a big man willing to get dirty under the hoop, Robin Lopez is their man. He is a pest on the defensive side of the ball and isn’t afraid to take a charge. Many compare his game (and hair) to that of Anderson Varejao, which no team would rather be without.

- Nicolas Batum of Le Mans

Batum is an interesting pick here for the Raptors. They have Jamario Moon at the small forward position and not much else. Technically, Jason Kapono is listed at small forward, but we all know that his shooting tendencies often make him seem more like a shooting guard, always looking to nail a key 3-pointer. Batum could provide the Raptors with another European player who could put the ball in the hole and offer tough perimeter defense with his long arms and lateral quickness.

- Javale McGee of Nevada

While McGee has been mentioned in plenty of Draft Previews leading up to the Toronto edition, he may very well still be on the board. The Raptors really have no threat inside the box other than Bosh, and McGee could offer them a two-dimensional attack down low that would be tough for opponents to contain.

- Donte Greene of Syracuse

Donte Greene gives the team a young athletic wingman who can run the floor and finish in transition. He is a bit redundant to Jamario Moon but has plenty more potential, not to mention he’s 8 years younger. Greene gives them another option at the small forward position who could evolve into a key contributor down the road.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #42
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Seems the Suns are infatuated with Rush at 15 .

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...6suns0616.html
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #43
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Looks like Batum ,Hibbert ,Greene ,and Spieghts are working out for the Raptors.
http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/e...-is-confirmed/
kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #44
RapsFan
Great college starter

I read today that McGee is getting abused by lesser prospects in his workouts. Makes me want this guy even less.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #45
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hope Hibbert can impress enough in that workout to be seriously considered by the Raptors.

I think he can be a Rasho-type player with better offense and that is something you cannot pass up at #17.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: