Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #226
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the ultimate ish otc funk/soul/jazz thread

since we are on the prince wagon:

DMSR from 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcLM...eature=related
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #227
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
since we are on the prince wagon:

DMSR from 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcLM...eature=related
Cloreen Bacon Skin

15 minutes of unadulterated dunk by Prince and Pete's favorite Morris Day.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #228
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

hey
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #229
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
hey
Clyde McPhatter: Love Please
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #230
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not huge into funk or soul, but I do like jazz. The problem is, I'm having a tough time getting my feet off the ground and finding specific artists to focus in on (aside from the super most popular names I've heard like Miles Davis and Louie Armstrong). I'm interested in traditional jazz (if that's what it's called), as opposed to comtemporary Kenny G type stuff. I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Do any of you guys have a direction you could point me? I'm ignorant enough about this music that this thread was tough to work through because I couldn't tell by name which links were going to be funk, which were going to be soul and which were going to be jazz. For the time being, my outlet for this genre has been a jazz channel on Pandora.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #231
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Whatever happened to playtetris?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #232
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm not huge into funk or soul, but I do like jazz. The problem is, I'm having a tough time getting my feet off the ground and finding specific artists to focus in on (aside from the super most popular names I've heard like Miles Davis and Louie Armstrong). I'm interested in traditional jazz (if that's what it's called), as opposed to comtemporary Kenny G type stuff. I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Do any of you guys have a direction you could point me? I'm ignorant enough about this music that this thread was tough to work through because I couldn't tell by name which links were going to be funk, which were going to be soul and which were going to be jazz. For the time being, my outlet for this genre has been a jazz channel on Pandora.

Grant Green is a jazz guitarist that I like a lot. He has a smooth, low-key sound. Freddie Hubbard is usually who I listen to when I want to listen to hard bop/bebop.

Also, listen to Christian Scott asap. He is the best modern jazz artist I've heard. Angola, LA & the 13th Amendment might be my favorite jazz song ever.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #233
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm particular a fan of songs featuring prominent piano and perhaps, trumpet.

Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #234
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Given this description I would say a good starting point is Herbie Hancock's earlier stuff. Empyrian Isles or Maiden Voyage would be good records to first get into. Those are some of the greatest jazz records ever, featuring a pianist leader (actually not that common in jazz), a fantastic rhythm section and Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

If you are looking for something slightly more traditional, I would reccommend you to look into some of Thelonious Monk's earlier work such as Brilliant Corners and Monk's Music.
Awesome. That all sounds right down my alley. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Grant Green is a jazz guitarist that I like a lot. He has a smooth, low-key sound. Freddie Hubbard is usually who I listen to when I want to listen to hard bop/bebop.

Also, listen to Christian Scott asap. He is the best modern jazz artist I've heard. Angola, LA & the 13th Amendment might be my favorite jazz song ever.
Thanks for this too. I'm not sure how I feel about jazz guitar yet but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #235
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

this thread needs a bump, since I recently hit an old-school record store and reactivated my LP player.

fits this thread only barely, but I've revisited Jethro Tull and cannot stop being amazed at the virtuosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: