Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #31
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Default Re: You are picking between PS3, 360 or Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I am a huge Nintendo gamer. I have a Gamecube, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS and I'm just a fan of their games. But I haven't bought the Wii yet.

Nintendo is aiming at a new audience. they are aiming at the people who won't buy a Xbox 360 or PS3 because they don't like the "geeky" Final Fantasy and Quake type games. They want to play Brain training and Wii Sports.

But I am a gaming geek and I do want to play Bioshock, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, NBA 2k, Fight Night and this is the category of games they don't have on the Wii. They still have Zelda and Mario, but all those games have been dumbed down.

I get that and i'm kinda in the same boat as you. i went out and bought a 360 about a year ago, because there wasn't enough on the wii for me. but there are a few developers out there that have recognized what the wii games market is missing, and they've helped my wii complement my 360 perfectly.

wii games i'd recommend to you:

metroid prime 3
no more heroes
medal of honor heroes 2
pro evolution soccer
resident evil 4 / resident evil umbrella chronicles
bully scholarship edition
super mario galaxy (definitely not dumbed down)

be on the lookout for:

sadness
call of duty 5
fatal frame
mad world
skate it
disaster
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #32
frayed knot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
LOL
If you prefer style over substance than thats cool I guess…
I would rather play Sega Saturn than 95% of what is out on both PlayStation 3 AND Xbox 360 because those games are more FUN. I like to PLAY games rather than just stare at them and drool over how perty they look…

fun is specific to the individual. Other than the controller, there wasnt very much I liked about the Saturn.

I can list the titles I would play again on one hand.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (one of the better examples for a gameplay > graphics argument)
Xmen vs Street Fighter
House of the dead
Dragon Force

Sega was really limited with the saturn since most of the dev. aligned with sony.

Quote:
If you like "shooting" games as in FPS, then you'd be better served on playing on PC where they were ment to be played with keyboard/mouse and high performance hardware.

Not necessarily.
A. Depending on age, tying up a family computer for gaming is not a realistic option.
B. With crossfire and SLI support, gpu upgrades aren't within everyone's budget.
C. The accessibility of playstation and 360 for casual gamers to play with real life friends remains a strong attraction.
D. FPS on console aren't nearly as inadequate as you're trying to portray them. In fact, there's been a few recent large tournaments for CoD4 and GoW.

The pc has the pc console which the playstation/xbox does not. A cpu user would usually upgrade the gpu at least once during the life of a playstation/xbox console.

Quote:
I prefer to play REAL shooters like DoDonPachi or Battle Garegga. Games where hi score mean something and can be played for a life time… these games don't offer flash graphics but offer a type of gameplay that cannot be match by average everyday cookie cutter dreck that fills todays retail shops and the libraries of mindless video gaming lemmings…
Uhh... the Truxton style vertical scrollers can't be classified as cookie cutter, formula, games?
Quote:
I bet your one to say that Nintendo NES is the suxor because the graphics are lame but yet the game play is leagues above the junk that is passed off as "games" today…
We remember fondly the experiences of our youth. While I wouldn't say NES is teh suxor, I wouldn't say the gameplay is leagues above what is out today -- across the board. A good example would be Karate champ which couldn't hold a candle to the Street Fighters, Soul Caliburs, and DOA's in terms of gameplay.

Quote:
Just stick with Madden and Tony Hawk… and next year buy the same game with new rosters and skate parks…

this is true.
frayed knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #33
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayed knot
fun is specific to the individual. Other than the controller, there wasnt very much I liked about the Saturn.

I can list the titles I would play again on one hand.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (one of the better examples for a gameplay > graphics argument)
Xmen vs Street Fighter
House of the dead
Dragon Force

Sega was really limited with the saturn since most of the dev. aligned with sony.

Depending on tastes and if you are limiting your self to the USA releases… there are far more great titles for Saturn from:

Radiant Silvergun
Astal
Panzer Dragoon II
Shin Shinobi
Liquid Kids
Elevator Action Returns
Batsugun
Prikura Daisakusen
Albert Odyssey
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua On
et cetera…

Quote:
Not necessarily.
A. Depending on age, tying up a family computer for gaming is not a realistic option.
B. With crossfire and SLI support, gpu upgrades aren't within everyone's budget.
C. The accessibility of playstation and 360 for casual gamers to play with real life friends remains a strong attraction.
D. FPS on console aren't nearly as inadequate as you're trying to portray them. In fact, there's been a few recent large tournaments for CoD4 and GoW.

The pc has the pc console which the playstation/xbox does not. A cpu user would usually upgrade the gpu at least once during the life of a playstation/xbox console.

I really don't get into PC gaming, other than that most people prefer to play games such as FPS, RTS, as well as MMO's on PC rather than on consoles. Most people will be quick to say how FPS loose "something" when being ported to consoles… I'm a console guy anyhow…

Quote:
Uhh... the Truxton style vertical scrollers can't be classified as cookie cutter, formula, games?

Compair Truxton to DonPachi.
Sure they have the same basic formula, move a ship around and shoot stuff but they are leagues different. Also note that Toaplan pretty much became Cave… :)
Many games share a basic formula — look at FPS how they have evolved from Doom, and how 3D fighting games have evolved from Virtua Fighter to VF5 or Soul Calibur… or how 2D fighting games evolved from Yir Ar Kung Fu to Third Strike…

Quote:
We remember fondly the experiences of our youth. While I wouldn't say NES is teh suxor, I wouldn't say the gameplay is leagues above what is out today -- across the board. A good example would be Karate champ which couldn't hold a candle to the Street Fighters, Soul Caliburs, and DOA's in terms of gameplay.

As I was saying how games evolve, one cannot deny and or forget pinnicle titles such as Street Fighter II, Super Mario Bros., Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Out Run, or Space Invaders… though better games have evolved, these examples here have stood the test of time and continue to be played just as well as they had 10-20 years ago… I've been playing games for 20 years plus, and I enjoy Nintendo just as much as I enjoy PlayStation 2 or Xbox 360…

Quote:
this is true.

Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #34
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Easy cheeta!

I'll take my 360 over Ps3 and wii. I like to play shooters and I like to just pop in the disc and play. I love the controler on the 360 and the xbl.

I might buy a Ps3 when I get a new tv to watch blu-rays on, but for now 360 is the ticket. Plus it seems all my friends have it so it's easier to play online with/share games and stuff...

Wii is so much fun for parties but like 3 of my friends have it so I can tell them to bring it and we're set....
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #35
frayed knot
Banned

The console vs PC debate concerning FPS is territorial imo. The PC community doesn't want to invite console gamers to their FPS party, so to speak. It is really a petty squabble.

(btw truxton/tatsujin is one of my favorite all time games)

No, I don't have quite the familiarity with Japanese releases as you.

I agree with a lot of your points in the original post, and I understand why graphics > gameplay would elicit that response.

What I'd really like to see is developers influenced by some of my favorite games of the past.

Smash TV
Strider
Road Rash
Virtua Tennis
Blaster Master
Truxton
Jet Set Radio
ChuChu Rocket
Vigilante
Herzog Zwei
Dragon Warrior (2)
RC Pro Am & Ivan Stewart's Off Road (3rd person racing)

Knights of the old Republic, simply one of the greatest games I've ever played
Old 06-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #36
v-unit
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
LOL
If you prefer style over substance than thats cool I guess…
I would rather play Sega Saturn than 95% of what is out on both PlayStation 3 AND Xbox 360 because those games are more FUN. I like to PLAY games rather than just stare at them and drool over how perty they look…

I hear this alot actually, and sorry, but it sounds like your arguing just for the sake of arguing. Name me some games where it's just graphics and you don't play anything, please tell me.

Quote:
If you like "shooting" games as in FPS, then you'd be better served on playing on PC where they were ment to be played with keyboard/mouse and high performance hardware.

How would I be better served playing on a computer? Why would I pay thousands of dollars for some high tech computer that will be outdated in a month when I could pay a couple hundred for the new system and games that work flawlessly?

Quote:
I prefer to play REAL shooters like DoDonPachi or Battle Garegga. Games where hi score mean something and can be played for a life time… these games don't offer flash graphics but offer a type of gameplay that cannot be match by average everyday cookie cutter dreck that fills todays retail shops and the libraries of mindless video gaming lemmings

Again, it's something like your arguing just for the sake of arguing. How can you say that is a real shooter and what we have now isn't. Just because your game came out like 10 years ago doesn't make it any more real then any shooter out now. And almost every game now a days can be played for a life time, not only do you have high scores, longer game plays, missions etc, but you have online multiplayer and other capabilities like updates to ensure that the game is always fun and that you don't get bored.

The bolded is what I call a filler line, you put that **** in while basically saying nothing. How do these games today not match those? Tell me please how todays games don't match those. You think they arn't fun? Why is everyone buying them so much? Why are there so many being created, why is it so succesful?

Quote:
I bet your one to say that Nintendo NES is the suxor because the graphics are lame but yet the game play is leagues above the junk that is passed off as "games" today…

Ok, please tell me how the games we have now are not real games.

Your literally the "hippy" of video games. Your just hating on the new technology because it's taking away all of your friends who play your "DoDonPachi" and making them play games of higher levels. All of those games are of the most simplistic forms.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #37
frayed knot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
I hear this alot actually, and sorry, but it sounds like your arguing just for the sake of arguing. Name me some games where it's just graphics and you don't play anything, please tell me.

Quote:
Again, it's something like your arguing just for the sake of arguing. How can you say that is a real shooter and what we have now isn't. Just because your game came out like 10 years ago doesn't make it any more real then any shooter out now.
You should have researched video game genres before typing this.

Quote:
And almost every game now a days can be played for a life time, not only do you have high scores, longer game plays, missions etc, but you have online multiplayer and other capabilities like updates to ensure that the game is always fun and that you don't get bored.

Quite the opposite. A majority of single player games today can be finished in 12h or less. There is greater emphasis on multiplayer and most developers simply ignore the market for offline play. Many games are obsolete within a year's time, and the multiplayer dies along with it.

Quote:
The bolded is what I call a filler line, you put that **** in while basically saying nothing. How do these games today not match those? Tell me please how todays games don't match those. You think they arn't fun? Why is everyone buying them so much? Why are there so many being created, why is it so succesful?
Why is everyone buying them so much? Greater marketing and exposure.
Why are there so many being created? cash grab.
Why is it so successful? I don't know how you measure success? MS pimping out Bungie for the Halo franchise?

Quote:
Ok, please tell me how the games we have now are not real games.

Your literally the "hippy" of video games. Your just hating on the new technology because it's taking away all of your friends who play your "DoDonPachi" and making them play games of higher levels. All of those games are of the most simplistic forms.

Have you even played these games which you mock?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #38
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
[IMG]Turok PS3[/IMG]

You should have researched video game genres before typing this.

Quite the opposite. A majority of single player games today can be finished in 12h or less. There is greater emphasis on multiplayer and most developers simply ignore the market for offline play. Many games are obsolete within a year's time, and the multiplayer dies along with it.

Why is everyone buying them so much? Greater marketing and exposure.
Why are there so many being created? cash grab.
Why is it so successful? I don't know how you measure success? MS pimping out Bungie for the Halo franchise?

Have you even played these games which you mock?

Likewise
My feelings exactly…

Quote:

I don't hate on new anything… I got all 3 current gen consoles on launch. What a weekend when PS3 AND Wii came out… I just have an open mind and appreciate games of a different time when it was all more simple. Games made up for lack of "flash" with riveting game play…
I play games from GTA IV, Halo, SSMB, Rock Band, ESPGaluda, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, to games like Balloon Fight, Shinobi, Tetris, and Star Soldier…

Why don't you check out my set up…

Video games is a passion that I have… as well as NBA basketball…
Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #39
v-unit
NBA All-star

Well, that's pretty damn insane. I'm just saying, you were making it seem like the video games of today's age are all crap. Technology doesn't work that way, but I see what you mean now, I just got the wrong message.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #40
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Well, that's pretty damn insane. I'm just saying, you were making it seem like the video games of today's age are all crap. Technology doesn't work that way, but I see what you mean now, I just got the wrong message.

I'm a fan of ALL video games :)
Sure I like some more than others but I give all a fair chance and support them all… PS3, Xbox 360, Wii — each one offers something that I enjoy…

Games from the old days are classic and todays games will be tomorrows classics…
Old 06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #41
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

In the end, I think Gran Turismo 5 is the reason I bought a ps3. I have always loved this game and I know this new version will just be amazing.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #42
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
In the end, I think Gran Turismo 5 is the reason I bought a ps3. I have always loved this game and I know this new version will just be amazing.

Gran Turismo 5 will be the game that "kills" my PS3…
I've not had much use out of it other than the PSN games I downloaded and VF5 but when Gran Turismo 5 (the full game) finds it way in my home, I'll be playing that thing for quite sometime. I played GT4 for like months when it came out… heck, I still play GT2 from time to time…
Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 AM   #43
hotsauce2007
I airball my layups

Defo get the xbox here are my reasons

1) there is thousands of more people with a mic to talk to around the world compared to the PS3 and the nintendo wii doesnt even have a headset if thats even got online play.

2)the wii was overrated and many people have haad to return thier console straight away ( i know that i had to after bout a week of having it)

3) the wii has really bad graphics for a console of late 2007-08

4) the ps3 is good but you wwill find that you have more entertining games on the xbox especially call o duty 4 modern warfare

SO BASICALLY: i suggets that you buy the xbox there are more people online with them more peole have headsets resulting in more fun and more challengees from around the world.
hotsauce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #44
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce2007
Defo get the xbox here are my reasons

1) there is thousands of more people with a mic to talk to around the world compared to the PS3 and the nintendo wii doesnt even have a headset if thats even got online play.

2)the wii was overrated and many people have haad to return thier console straight away ( i know that i had to after bout a week of having it)

3) the wii has really bad graphics for a console of late 2007-08

4) the ps3 is good but you wwill find that you have more entertining games on the xbox especially call o duty 4 modern warfare

SO BASICALLY: i suggets that you buy the xbox there are more people online with them more peole have headsets resulting in more fun and more challengees from around the world.

1) the wii has online. headsets are great and all, but i can only listen to prepubescent children screaming about noobs for so long. there's not a lot of enthralling conversation taking place on xbox live.

2) the wii was overrated? then why does it continue to sell so well? many people have had to return their console? from what i've read, the only people returning their console are xbox360 owners.

3) the graphics arent that bad. ive got wii games that have much better art direction than some of my 360 games. mario galaxy is gorgeous.

4) call of duty modern warfare is available on ps3, pc, and ds. the next call of duty will be available on 360, wii, ps3, ps2, and pc.

SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #45
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

People putting graphics above everything else…

yeah… I just love to stare at the images on the screen
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: