Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Rodney Stuckey Isn't a PG,Sheed Still Owns,& Amir Johnson Is Overvalued

I am not a Pistons fan in any way,but really WTF @ the ideas people are coming up with about this team.They lost to Boston this year,Cleveland last year,and Miami in 05-06.

This team is still at least capable of getting to a EC,and with a new coach like Terry Porter,or Michael Curry they could possibly be able to reach the Finals again next year,because Boston is a good squad but they're not as dominate as their regular season record would indicate.

1.Rodney Stuckey is as much of a PG as Steve Francis was in Orlando,I don't know how anybody can think Stuckey can replace Billups even though Billups is 31 it doesn't mean he's all of a sudden an old geezer who needs to retire ASAP.Billups has been consistent his stay in Detroit,and consistent in the Playoffs although he was playing hurt.Stuckey looks to be a good 6th Man but to expect him to be able to put up better numbers than Billups just because he looked good in the Playoffs means nothing.

2.Rasheed shouldn't be playing C anyways,he's not a C and he never was.He's 33 and is in the twilight of his career,and the only reason he's getting any blame is because he had to guard Kevin Garnett and because it was claimed that he was too friendly with the Celtics players.For their sake play him 30 MPG and let him hit his jumpers.

3.Amir Johnson is overpaid and overvalued,I agree theres a chance for him because he is only 21 but he's 6'11 215 lbs and he plays PF yet his ideal position would be SF but he doesn't have the range or the ability to handle the ball face up from the basket.He's a long scorer and rebounder who can get some blocked shots,but he's foul prone and doesn't look like he'd be able to be successful in the NBA unless he's on a full court transition team.Johnson might be able to develop into something but if he was as good as some advertise then he would've been starting by now,its show & prove time and he's shown and proved he's nothing more than summer league potential.

4.Antonio McDyess is not a C,he shouldn't have been playing C anyways because he's always been a PF from what I can remember but without his athleticism that's been gone for years he can't provide anything from more than 5 feet from the basket,he can only rebound and put back.At this point in McDyess' career he shouldn't have even been playing close to 30 MPG like he was being given in Detroit,he should be getting a good 15 MPG as a reserve off the bench for a Championship Contendor.

5.Richard Hamilton can not carry this team on his back,he is a consistent player who does a lot on the court,but he is a product of the players around him.He''s one of the best 3rd options in the NBA,but he doesn't have that "it" to him where he could actually take over and become a big time scorer along with being "the man" for his team.He's not,has never been,and probably wont become one now after 9 years in the NBA.

6.What was the point of re-signing Chauncey last offseason if Detroit was ready to break up the team if they didn't reach the Finals the following season.Shouldn't they had given him a 1 year deal worth $11.5 million Yet he was given 4/$46 deal as if they were confident they were going to continue with the team they have past this season no matter what happens.

.....I'm just venting,but its really pissing me off how because Detroit or San Antonio makes the NBA Finals,there are idiots(mostly Laker fans) around this board claiming both teams are done because they're too old.

Then who are the young teams then
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rodney Stuckey Isn't a PG,Sheed Still Owns,& Amir Johnson Is Overvalued

Sheed has been playing center, Stuckey is more in the mold of Dwyane Wade, and Amir Johnson barely got his feet wet, let him get consistent minutes before you judge.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rodney Stuckey Isn't a PG,Sheed Still Owns,& Amir Johnson Is Overvalued

Rodney Stuckey is whatever he wants to be. Future pimp
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

They need rebounding, desperately. They have 2 power forwards manning the center. And in all actuality, Theo Ratliff is their only true center. They get pounded on the boards, and thats bc Dice and Sheed never were rebounders. Sheed should avg at least 8 rpg, but he doesnt.

Amir is young but he was never given a shot this season bc of the emergence of Maxiell. Max took most of the bench minutes away from him.

Billups can still ball. He is only 31. He has about 3 good years left in him. He never was a speed pg. Stucky is a servicable back up, and who know, maybe he will turn into alegit point. He was only a rookie

Pistons are not done, but they need changes. They need a legit center. Possibly they should move Dice for a big man and keep Max off the bench. I think they need a scorer off the bench. Someone like JR Smith or Pargo. Not getting those 2, but thats the type of players they can use.

They need a coach who can command Sheeds respect. No one can control him, but I dont think he had much respect for Saunders. Sheed is the perfect compliment to a big who plays big.

Pistons still will be there in the mix next season, but they are aging. Sheed is slowing down. They need to make some moves, not huge ones, but impactful ones.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
1.Rodney Stuckey is as much of a PG as Steve Francis was in Orlando,I don't know how anybody can think Stuckey can replace Billups even though Billups is 31 it doesn't mean he's all of a sudden an old geezer who needs to retire ASAP.Billups has been consistent his stay in Detroit,and consistent in the Playoffs although he was playing hurt.Stuckey looks to be a good 6th Man but to expect him to be able to put up better numbers than Billups just because he looked good in the Playoffs means nothing.

Billups isn't really a point guard either. He took them to the Finals at that position, but he's going to score first, pass second every time. He's been that way since he entered the league. It just works in Detroit because the team plays so well together.

Quote:
2.Rasheed shouldn't be playing C anyways,he's not a C and he never was.He's 33 and is in the twilight of his career,and the only reason he's getting any blame is because he had to guard Kevin Garnett and because it was claimed that he was too friendly with the Celtics players.For their sake play him 30 MPG and let him hit his jumpers.

Billups isn't that old at 31, and Sheed is in his twilight at 33? Odd how that works.

Quote:
3.Amir Johnson is overpaid and overvalued,I agree theres a chance for him because he is only 21 but he's 6'11 215 lbs and he plays PF yet his ideal position would be SF but he doesn't have the range or the ability to handle the ball face up from the basket.He's a long scorer and rebounder who can get some blocked shots,but he's foul prone and doesn't look like he'd be able to be successful in the NBA unless he's on a full court transition team.Johnson might be able to develop into something but if he was as good as some advertise then he would've been starting by now,its show & prove time and he's shown and proved he's nothing more than summer league potential.

Where was the 20 minutes per game Joe Dumars insisted he would get to show what he could do this year? I believe his exact quote was something to the effect of, We've taught him all we can, now we have to let him play. Guy averaged more minutes last year in his 8 games than he did this year, and didn't come close to 20.

Quote:
4.Antonio McDyess is not a C,he shouldn't have been playing C anyways because he's always been a PF from what I can remember but without his athleticism that's been gone for years he can't provide anything from more than 5 feet from the basket,he can only rebound and put back.At this point in McDyess' career he shouldn't have even been playing close to 30 MPG like he was being given in Detroit,he should be getting a good 15 MPG as a reserve off the bench for a Championship Contendor.

We get it. Detroit doesn't have a center. Welcome to 2 years ago when Ben Wallace left town.

BTW, McDyess didn't lose his athleticism, he blew out his knee. Before that, he was mentioned in the same breath as KG. People forget what kind of a career he was having in Denver before the injuries destroyed his body.

Quote:
5.Richard Hamilton can not carry this team on his back,he is a consistent player who does a lot on the court,but he is a product of the players around him.He''s one of the best 3rd options in the NBA,but he doesn't have that "it" to him where he could actually take over and become a big time scorer along with being "the man" for his team.He's not,has never been,and probably wont become one now after 9 years in the NBA.

That's debatable. I've seen a LOT of games, particularly against the Cavs, where Rip is the only thing they have going. The guy can just flat out score with the basketball. How much of his 20ppg is him not having "it", and Detroit just simply not running plays for him because they have too many personalities that demand the ball? (Billups, Sheed, Prince)

Quote:
6.What was the point of re-signing Chauncey last offseason if Detroit was ready to break up the team if they didn't reach the Finals the following season.Shouldn't they had given him a 1 year deal worth $11.5 million Yet he was given 4/$46 deal as if they were confident they were going to continue with the team they have past this season no matter what happens.

Who said they were breaking up the team? They should, btw.

Quote:
.....I'm just venting,but its really pissing me off how because Detroit or San Antonio makes the NBA Finals,there are idiots(mostly Laker fans) around this board claiming both teams are done because they're too old.

Then who are the young teams then

They're not done, btw, just that 90% of the fans on this board wish they were. Nobody likes to watch another Spurs/Pistons finals, no matter what those people say about it being "true fundemental basketball". I've been watching basketball a long time, and not wanting to watch the Pistons/Spurs, has nothing to do with their playing styles for me.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far

Pistons demise is way over done. Sheed was better this year than he was last year. His ECF performance was poor and it was the worst playoff performance of his career, but he showed no showed no signs of slowing down. If Sheed plays like he normally does the Pistons would be facing the Lakers. He didn't and they lost.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

The problem is the team needs guys that are hungry and obviously that is not Billups and Sheed anymore.

I still consider them both to be quality players but right now I'd be surprised if either is on the team next season.

The fact that Dumars had a meeting with Rip and Tayshaun and these guys weren't there says a lot to me.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Billups played good as the series went on. Could have used him in games 1 and 3, but he didn't look over the injury. I don't have too big a problem keeping him.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
I am not a Pistons fan in any way,but really WTF @ the ideas people are coming up with about this team.They lost to Boston this year,Cleveland last year,and Miami in 05-06.

This team is still at least capable of getting to a EC,and with a new coach like Terry Porter,or Michael Curry they could possibly be able to reach the Finals again next year,because Boston is a good squad but they're not as dominate as their regular season record would indicate.

I'll read the rest later.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #11
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

dominate...ish is about the only site where i've read that word so far. and i've seen it quite a few times around here
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
His "jumper" is the problem. If he insists on just being a shooter out there he'll never give Detroit the inside game that they need to have a balanced offensive game. For all the credit that he recieves for being alleged talented, we only saw him do two things on offense, either shooting threes or firing the turnaround jumper. Billups and Prince both do a better job of getting to the basket. He's quickly becoming Sam Perkins with an attitude. When he was younger, I could see the talent in flashes but now don't and frankly I don't get why analysts think he's a great player. He's a positive overall but gets too much credit for a guy that averages 12.7 points and 6.6 boards shooting 43%. Antoine Walker could do that, and most bball fans think he sucks. AW can't defend like Sheed, but there is little difference between them offensively. In the Celtic series Maxiell was more effective in a few of the games, and with Dumars talking about making changes, don't be surprised if Saunders isn't the last to go.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Honestly, Stuckey played well in the playoffs..but I'm not calling home about him yet. He's still yet to prove to me that he's better than Flip Murray when he was good.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Amir Johnson is overpaid is so incredibly stupid to say that it boggles the mind. He's young, extremely athletic, and can hit the short jumper and he gets paid, what $2 million at best? Like he's already hit his upside?

WTF?
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
matt1016
Kids at the park dunk on me

matt1016 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Honestly, Stuckey played well in the playoffs..but I'm not calling home about him yet. He's still yet to prove to me that he's better than Flip Murray when he was good.

I agree with that statement. Let's see how his second year goes before handing over the keys to the team.

This year the expectations were that he would be a Vinnie Johnson. Next year he's supposed to be a Dumars. It's going to be an adjustment for him.
matt1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: