Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation
Default Mitch Kupchak A Gm ?

MITCH KUPCHAK--Though we know he's just a puppet to the Buss family in decision makings he still needs to speak out as a GM (given his title) who's had the priviledge and opportunity to work and learn from the logo (JERRY WEST) all those years and should've applied the knowledge and experience he's gained through west, and if MITCH doesn't know how to apply himself as a GM he should then resign from the lakers gm position which will do us all a favor. If and when mitch ever does grow some balls to speak out his rights in making GM decisions he would probably get canned anyways by JERRY BUSS which would then take mitch out of his misery for not given the opportunity to act out as the lakers gm and give us laker fans some hope of gaining a new gm (excluding JIM "THE HORSE TRAINER" BUSS) one who has the balls to make the right personnel decisions and the guts to make trades to improve the team.:applause
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Mitch has made some very good decisions for this team that has improved the Lakers, except the Shaq trade. But I would understand the idea was started from Jerry Buss so its not entirely his fault.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LAKERS_3_PETE*
MITCH KUPCHAK--Though we know he's just a puppet to the Buss family in decision makings he still needs to speak out as a GM (given his title) who's had the priviledge and opportunity to work and learn from the logo (JERRY WEST) all those years and should've applied the knowledge and experience he's gained through west, and if MITCH doesn't know how to apply himself as a GM he should then resign from the lakers gm position which will do us all a favor. If and when mitch ever does grow some balls to speak out his rights in making GM decisions he would probably get canned anyways by JERRY BUSS which would then take mitch out of his misery for not given the opportunity to act out as the lakers gm and give us laker fans some hope of gaining a new gm (excluding JIM "THE HORSE TRAINER" BUSS) one who has the balls to make the right personnel decisions and the guts to make trades to improve the team.:applause

I disagree entirely. Mitch has done a fine job. the Shaq trade was a difficult issue...Shaq put us in a difficult position in many ways. I think we got some quality younger players to build around, plus it was Buss' call anyway.

Our draft picks have been fine. Remember where we were picking in the draft...we got Cook (good role player) and Luke (good role player). I, for one, really like the draft of Bynum.

Now, I would like to see some trades happen with the assets we have.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cupcake is an ok GM.. I put him in the middle and MILES over someone like Isiah.

He lacks creativity and does not seem to take risk... I am also not convinced he can properly assess and judge talent.

So, middle of the pack.. not horrible but definitely not exceptional.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Cupcake is an ok GM.. I put him in the middle and MILES over someone like Isiah.

He lacks creativity and does not seem to take risk... I am also not convinced he can properly assess and judge talent.

So, middle of the pack.. not horrible but definitely not exceptional.

agreed. but I think he's done a pretty good job of judging talent. Look where we drafted Cook and Luke. You're lucky to get guys who make the team that deep in the draft. Today, Cook and Luke have real value...as solid role players. The jury is out on Bynum, but I like the risk he took.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I dont mean to sound rude but you guys werent saying that a month ago. I think hes done an OK job also but he needs to start searching a little more and be more creative with ideas.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I dont mean to sound rude but you guys werent saying that a month ago. I think hes done an OK job also but he needs to start searching a little more and be more creative with ideas.

I have to disagree with that as it comes to me... I have been consistent... I have always said Cupcake lacks creativity and that he is an ok GM at best... go ahead and search the archives. He frustrates the hell out of me because he has the personality of a gnat (i cant stand listening to him talk), and pretty much no creativity to try to put together deals that involve multiple teams, etc.

With regard to the comment about talent, I do not include Cook as "talent." He is a mediocre player at best. Walton, I agree was a good draft pick.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:

I disagree when it comes to me, too. you must be talking about someone else. I've always said Mitch takes too much flack from folks. I think he's done a decent job.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
I disagree entirely. Mitch has done a fine job. the Shaq trade was a difficult issue...Shaq put us in a difficult position in many ways. I think we got some quality younger players to build around, plus it was Buss' call anyway.

Our draft picks have been fine. Remember where we were picking in the draft...we got Cook (good role player) and Luke (good role player). I, for one, really like the draft of Bynum.

Now, I would like to see some trades happen with the assets we have.

"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN 'BOUT" mitch has yet to make a trade since the logo left after all these years learning from the greatest gm hasn't really set in with mitch and probably never will because mitch is a lazy passive gm with no balls to take a risk.OK then bleedinpurple when was the last time mitch ever upgraded our roster in a trade give me a scenario if that even took place involving mitch orchestrating a laker trade after jerry west left. Don't include kwame who was dealt for butler, after the shaq trade mihm wasn't capable of manning the middle and needed help on defense,rebounding and scoring.Buss didn't want to look too bad at the center position after his decision to trade shaq so it was buss and magic who's a close friend of MJ's that orchestrated the butler for brown deal that brought kwame to LA after having numerous issues in D.C. combined with the lakers having 5 sf's at the time sent butler to the wiz looking to get paid big after his contract year.The lakerscouts and buss' were also responsible for drafting bynum with the 10th pick overall after promising bynum and his family that he would be a laker that's why bynum had only worked out for 2 teams lakers being the last team bynum worked out for in a pre-draft camp .The signing of radmanovic was mainly due to vlade divac persuading his fellow countryman to come play for the lakers pairing him with kobe and promising him a starting job and ofcourse throwing the mid-level jack made him a laker.Looking back there was so many free agency's he let slipped away last year (derek anderson,antonio daniels,tyron lue etc.) with the chances of getting via trade: boozer,magloire,curry,b.davis,gooden,artest, al harrington etc.I know the buss' overwrites mitch's decisions at times so he's not entirely too blame for his missed opportunities but with B.GRANT'S contract coming off the book this summer gives mitch yet another chance to redeem himself as a GM so lets give him the benefit of doubt that he will use his GM skills to get us a true PG or a PF!
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LAKERS_3_PETE*
"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN 'BOUT" mitch has yet to make a trade since the logo left after all these years learning from the greatest gm hasn't really set in with mitch and probably never will because mitch is a lazy passive gm with no balls to take a risk.OK then bleedinpurple when was the last time mitch ever upgraded our roster in a trade give me a scenario if that even took place involving mitch orchestrating a laker trade after jerry west left. Don't include kwame who was dealt for butler, after the shaq trade mihm wasn't capable of manning the middle and needed help on defense,rebounding and scoring.Buss didn't want to look too bad at the center position after his decision to trade shaq so it was buss and magic who's a close friend of MJ's that orchestrated the butler for brown deal that brought kwame to LA after having numerous issues in D.C. combined with the lakers having 5 sf's at the time sent butler to the wiz looking to get paid big after his contract year.The lakerscouts and buss' were also responsible for drafting bynum with the 10th pick overall after promising bynum and his family that he would be a laker that's why bynum had only worked out for 2 teams lakers being the last team bynum worked out for in a pre-draft camp .The signing of radmanovic was mainly due to vlade divac persuading his fellow countryman to come play for the lakers pairing him with kobe and promising him a starting job and ofcourse throwing the mid-level jack made him a laker.Looking back there was so many free agency's he let slipped away last year (derek anderson,antonio daniels,tyron lue etc.) with the chances of getting via trade: boozer,magloire,curry,b.davis,gooden,artest, al harrington etc.I know the buss' overwrites mitch's decisions at times so he's not entirely too blame for his missed opportunities but with B.GRANT'S contract coming off the book this summer gives mitch yet another chance to redeem himself as a GM so lets give him the benefit of doubt that he will use his GM skills to get us a true PG or a PF!

I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree entirely. But I don't think it's fair for you to say on the one hand, he doesn't do anything, then on the other hand say it's the Buss' and Magic making the decisions. If you don't like what's going on, then blame the Buss' and Magic. I don't believe Mitch is sitting there twiddling his thumbs. He's working the phones, then presenting the options to Buss's and Magic. Could he be more "imaginative"? We will never know exactly where his efforts begin/end and the Buss'/Magic begin/end. TAlso keep in mind that Phil has a say in these matters.

o be fair, we all know that making a major trade, involving marqee talent, between two teams is challenging...orchestrating a multiple team deal is rare.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
o be fair, we all know that making a major trade, involving marqee talent, between two teams is challenging...orchestrating a multiple team deal is rare.

Doesnt exactly happen every day either. I only saw 3 blockbuster trades the last 2 years.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Doesnt exactly happen every day either. I only saw 3 blockbuster trades the last 2 years.

exactly. If Mitch is "lazy" or "not creative", then the same is true for virtually every GM.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
LakerzFan4Life
Decent playground baller

LakerzFan4Life has no real reputation yet.

He's ok.
LakerzFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Mitch Kupchak A Gm ?

Quote:
dead on target.. most the trades now are contract swaps or a team dumping contracts, the days of building a team through well designed trading are long gone... it can still be done but its hard to do when the teams involved have to match salaries... it's a gamble to take on one A level player when you have to give up 3 or 4 B level players that will gut the bench...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Liberalo
Banned

Liberalo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mitch Kupchak A Gm ?

Mitch is a terrible GM. How the hell can you people defend him?

You can say that he has certain restrictions from Dr. Buss and the horse boy but he's done a terrible, terrible job so far.

The Lakers are in a terrible position right now, they just may be one of the worse team upside wise in the western conference just now.

I can say that Mitch has been drafting much better since 2005.

Other that that, he's been an absolute disaster, going back to the 3peat days.

Just a terrible, uncreative, no vision, no balls idiot GM.
Eevry year our situation looks worse. If Mitch stays I can only imagine what's going to happen to this franchise.

Basically, the only hope is that Bynum really pans out well. Otherwise and most likely....7th seed, 8th seed, no playoffs if Kobe gets injured etc.l

This team needs big time changes.

Last edited by Liberalo : 04-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: