Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Mitch Kupchak A Gm ?

My problem with GM mitch kuptchak is but one problem, and it is however a very big problem:

DRAFTING

I am needless to comment any further on this issue.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
My problem with GM mitch kuptchak is but one problem, and it is however a very big problem:

DRAFTING

since he took over which picks do you have problems with?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
Liberalo
Banned

He's actually gotten better with drafting, much better.

But overall, my problem with him is pretty much everything, including drafting too.

Poor drafting
Poor FA signings
Not adressing defense
Not adressing inbalance
Not adressing the lack of talent.
3 years of Kobe era and where exactly are we? Right.
Shaq trade I understand.
Caron trade I understand but the Lakers got ripped off.
PG position. Over 200 games of Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker starting with people like Tierre Brown playing main backups.
Having Samaki Walker as a starter.
Not making any deadline deals...ever..

And there's much more. He gets a straight F.

How can anyone in his right mind still support Kupchak? That's right, no one can.
It's obvious to everyone that he's a terrible GM.

He did do some goo moves though but negatives outweight the positives and it isn't even close.

But overall, he's an idiot.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Well, IMO, Kupchak is really not an idiot. He is mediocre.... and, by Laker standards, mediocre is just not good enough.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

Quote:

DRAFTING

actually I don't think Drafting is his problem
Luke
Farmar
Cook

he doesn't sign or trade anyone good
getting Vlade for..... what?
giving caron for...... what?
signing Vrad for........ what?
Shammond Williams.... why?
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #21
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
since he took over which picks do you have problems with?

Cook, Rush are the ones I am talking about especially since you look at guys we passed up.

Leandro, Josh Howard, Tayshaun is also one that we should have taken since we scouted him intensely.

Then you have the total scrubs like Von Wafer, Marcus Douthit, JR Pinnock who we actually traded for.

the only good drafts (not great) are Luke Walton and Pargo who we soon let go.
Sasha aint bad either, I like him.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #22
Liberalo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Well, IMO, Kupchak is really not an idiot. He is mediocre.... and, by Laker standards, mediocre is just not good enough.

That might be accurate. Kupchak to me seems like he's content with where we are.
I may be wrong but he goes step by step way too much, doesn't invest much in talent, isn't really willing to split ways with some players etc.

I think he's a terrible GM but more importantly, he seems to be content with mediocrity.

But then again, we don't really know how much he can do on his own.
I suppose Buss fam makes key decisions but Kupchak has free hands when it comes to some signings and trades like the Mo Evans trade for example.

But still, it's pretty obvious that his work has taken us a few steps back and now we're in a terrible position right now, not even top 10 in talent in all of western conference and Kupchak inherited a dynasty that West put together, he got to build a team around Kobe and pieces from the Shaq trade and we're still so low in the talent department and everything else.

That's just pitful, no matter how you put it.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
actually I don't think Drafting is his problem
Luke
Farmar
Cook

he doesn't sign or trade anyone good
getting Vlade for..... what?
giving caron for...... what?
signing Vrad for........ what?
Shammond Williams.... why?

thank you very much!!

You reminded me of other things.

He passed up signing Antonio Daniels who wanted a third year because we didnt want contracts passed this off-season. Well Antonio left and We ended up picking up Brown's option that year whch is this offseason. We might as well should have picked up Daniels then who is way better than all our PG's.

Im not mad for the Vlad Rad signing just yet. Vlad is good, but can he play for us is the question.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #24
Liberalo
Banned

You can't blame Kupchak for the Davis signing or Earl Watson etc.
He had tied hands there. The 2007 plan was not his idea.

Unfortunetely, this team just has no direction, I believe they're just as fickle as some Laker fans are.
Jimmi Buss said 3 weeks ago that we're a contender and a few days he guaranteed that the Lakers will not be mediocre for a long time.
Idiot keeps babbling about how you set a nest for a big time player way before the trade happens etc.
They're just clueless IMO.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #25
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalo
That might be accurate. Kupchak to me seems like he's content with where we are.
I may be wrong but he goes step by step way too much, doesn't invest much in talent, isn't really willing to split ways with some players etc.

I think he's a terrible GM but more importantly, he seems to be content with mediocrity.

But then again, we don't really know how much he can do on his own.
I suppose Buss fam makes key decisions but Kupchak has free hands when it comes to some signings and trades like the Mo Evans trade for example.

But still, it's pretty obvious that his work has taken us a few steps back and now we're in a terrible position right now, not even top 10 in talent in all of western conference and Kupchak inherited a dynasty that West put together, he got to build a team around Kobe and pieces from the Shaq trade and we're still so low in the talent department and everything else.

That's just pitful, no matter how you put it.

This is the most difficult thing for us to know, as fans.. is how involved the Buss family is. If Jimmy is calling shots, thats a scary thing. If Jerry is calling the shots, I am concerned as I think he is starting to suffer from the Al Davis syndrome in that the league has passed him by (in the way business and relationships are conducted, etc). And finally, Kupchak is mediocre.

From a Laker fan perspective, they do not instill confidence with me anymore because they have not put together a team that truly compliments Kobe's talents and the Triangle offense PJax wants.

It will be very telling if PJax resigns or not. If he does not, we will know that they did not want to give him enough control to build the team he wants to win now. And if I were Kobe, that would be a good sign to look to another organization.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #26
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

Quote:

Im not mad for the Vlad Rad signing just yet. Vlad is good, but can he play for us is the question.

I do like that sign... kinda
but the timing of this signing without addressing our other issue
which is the PG situdation or even another atheletic Big who's big enough (sorry Turiaf) and has good post presence (like a Kwame)

we had all that issue
and you go out and sign Vrad......

BAD MOVE
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #27
Liberalo
Banned

Quote:
This is the most difficult thing for us to know, as fans.. is how involved the Buss family is. If Jimmy is calling shots, thats a scary thing. If Jerry is calling the shots, I am concerned as I think he is starting to suffer from the Al Davis syndrome in that the league has passed him by (in the way business and relationships are conducted, etc). And finally, Kupchak is mediocre.

From a Laker fan perspective, they do not instill confidence with me anymore because they have not put together a team that truly compliments Kobe's talents and the Triangle offense PJax wants.

It will be very telling if PJax resigns or not. If he does not, we will know that they did not want to give him enough control to build the team he wants to win now. And if I were Kobe, that would be a good sign to look to another organization.

Great post, I agree completely.

This summer will be really telling. Kupchak has acknowledged in the media that Kobe's getting impatient. Kobe and Phil have also finally said what's on their mind.
We"ll see.
This summer like I said it's a do or die time IMO.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #28
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalo
Great post, I agree completely.

This summer will be really telling. Kupchak has acknowledged in the media that Kobe's getting impatient. Kobe and Phil have also finally said what's on their mind.
We"ll see.
This summer like I said it's a do or die time IMO.

This is a bad trend... we need to go back to disagreeing!

Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
Liberalo
Banned

Quote:
This is a bad trend... we need to go back to disagreeing!

You know the times have gotten bad when you and I agree on most things.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #30
gts
Sons of Antartica

Since this thread has mentioned Mchale i'll post this here...

Quote:
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Taylor to get more involved with team

According to Kent Youngblood/Star Tribune, "the dynamic at Target Center will change" this offseason. Owner Glen Taylor says there are going to be changes in the front office that include himself and the "expanded front office" (which includes Rob Babcock, Fred Hoiberg, and Jim Stack) being more involved in making decisions for the team.

"In the past, I have pushed [decision-making] back on McHale," Taylor said. "This time we'll do it more as a team. ... I have a habit of trusting people, and trusting scenarios when I'm told things. I'm very good when I've gotten involved. But I have been successful by trusting other people, giving them the flexibility to make difficult decisions. But when it hasn't worked, I've gotten involved."

Youngblood also writes that Taylor says he doesn't intend on trading Garnett and that "almost everyone on the roster -- with the exceptions of Garnett, guards Randy Foye and Rashad McCants and forward Craig Smith -- is fair game for potential trades."

http://iheartkg.blogspot.com/2007/04...with-team.html
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: