Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #31
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mitch Kupchak A Gm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
dead on target.. most the trades now are contract swaps or a team dumping contracts, the days of building a team through well designed trading are long gone... it can still be done but its hard to do when the teams involved have to match salaries... it's a gamble to take on one A level player when you have to give up 3 or 4 B level players that will gut the bench...

exactly. trades of perenial all-star players is exceedingly rare. after all, is that the player that EVERY team is trying to acquire (or close to it)? Once you have such a player, you don't let him go. Thus, the only such big trades happen when a team finally decides to rebuild (Philly this year, maybe Minni next). I figure, on average, one perenial all-star gets traded every year...and he is usually aging (see Shaq, AI, and soon KG). Every other player is either a role player (Luke) or a marginal all-star (Odom). All a GM can realistically do is try to acquire those pieces that fit the system, the existing all-star (if any), and manage the cap situation for, among other things, flexibility and future position to acquire desirabe free agents. Other than that, draft well.

btw, anyone here who thinks Mitch had ANYHING to do with the Shaq trade is greatly mistaken. he did not have, nor ever will, the internal juice to make the call on something that big. You can bet that Magic, Mitch, Jerry, Jim and every other mgmt member worked the phones night and day for weeks...and...in the end, it was very simply Jerry's call to make.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #32
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

well said belledinpurple and i'll add that with the current system any team can keep their star just by offering the max and no team can match the offer and for many players (not all) $$$ is just as important as winning, and as you said it's only after they have aquired all that cash and they are on the downside of their careers they realize "i need a shot at a chip"... I'll say there are exceptions, not many but some...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #33
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalo
He's actually gotten better with drafting, much better.

But overall, my problem with him is pretty much everything, including drafting too.

Poor drafting
Poor FA signings
Not adressing defense
Not adressing inbalance
Not adressing the lack of talent.
3 years of Kobe era and where exactly are we? Right.
Shaq trade I understand.
Caron trade I understand but the Lakers got ripped off.
PG position. Over 200 games of Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker starting with people like Tierre Brown playing main backups.
Having Samaki Walker as a starter.
Not making any deadline deals...ever..

And there's much more. He gets a straight F.

How can anyone in his right mind still support Kupchak? That's right, no one can.
It's obvious to everyone that he's a terrible GM.

He did do some goo moves though but negatives outweight the positives and it isn't even close.

But overall, he's an idiot.

Quoted for Truth!

I'm with Liberalo...and to add on, have we ever done anything with expiring contracts? Ever?
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #34
Liberalo
Banned

Liberalo has an OK reputation so far

Those are some good points about trading for star players but the Lakers had their chances.

Baron Davis was already packing bags for LA.
Artest was living in LA.
Kidd could've came.
Boozer?

There may be other stars, too.

I think what people don't see because of their perception on Kobe is just how many star players want to play for the Lakers.

Artest got the text message from Kobe and it said "we need you here" or something like that. Phil also always wants those star players.

Yet they never do a thing. Never.

Well, okay, they didn't get any stars...fine.

BUT

Why didn't they upgrade the talent level?

If anything, we even have less talent now than in 2005. Just pitful. Pitful is the word. Terrible.

They're so incompetent that it's disgusting.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #35
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Do you think Webber would have played here as well or were the Lakers never seriously considered?

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #36
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Baron Davis was already packing bags for LA.
Baron is a great player but his price form the hornets was too high 63 million over 4 years and nobody at the time had seen him play since his heel injury, he was at war with byron scott because he refused to rehab with the hornets people and chose to do it on his own.... at the time nobody in the NBA was willing to gamble on him, his attitude or salary
Quote:
Artest was living in LA.
the guy is fruit loops the further he stays away from LA the better, the day Mitch signs him is the day I start saying mitch is a lousy GM
Quote:
Kidd could've came
. as I have said before, I think the Lakers held him back for a reason that we may see soon (read earlier post)
Quote:
Boozer?
would love to have him... was he ever a real option?? he's under contract with the jazz for 5 years, not sure what your getting at plus he was never really on the table he did the back door deal with the Jazz and screwed the cavs royal... err now that i read up on him phuck him he's a weasel
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #37
Elebrond
I brick open layups

Elebrond has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalo
Mitch is a terrible GM. How the hell can you people defend him?

You can say that he has certain restrictions from Dr. Buss and the horse boy but he's done a terrible, terrible job so far.

The Lakers are in a terrible position right now, they just may be one of the worse team upside wise in the western conference just now.

I can say that Mitch has been drafting much better since 2005.

Other that that, he's been an absolute disaster, going back to the 3peat days.

Just a terrible, uncreative, no vision, no balls idiot GM.
Eevry year our situation looks worse. If Mitch stays I can only imagine what's going to happen to this franchise.

Basically, the only hope is that Bynum really pans out well. Otherwise and most likely....7th seed, 8th seed, no playoffs if Kobe gets injured etc.l

This team needs big time changes.

Hey Men I Agree in Everithing . . . This people have the closed eyes . . I want that they change of GM in Los Angeles , Is the Best for Us and for owr Team and Players (Like Kobe).

ELebronD
Elebrond is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: