Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
76ers4life
Decent playground baller
 
76ers4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the matrix
Posts: 303
76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Speights threw a monkey wrench in a clear need at Pf, but the Sixers still could upgrade this position. A good shooter is clearly a must need who the Sixers covet at that position I am absolutely clueless. This should be an exciting summer to see what Ed does with this team. He is a little quiet for a Gm but he clearly seems to know exactly what he's doing. We have tons of ammunition to go out their and make some things happen for sure.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Elton Brand obviously...

and James Jones who just opted out. 44.4% on 3s...made 91 3s in only 58 games
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
76ers4life
Decent playground baller
 
76ers4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the matrix
Posts: 303
76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Elton Brand obviously...

and James Jones who just opted out. 44.4% on 3s...made 91 3s in only 58 games
Elton Brand i'm not sure first he hasn't opted out yet second I heard the deadline is Monday. I'm constantly hearing rumors on Brand like he would only opt out for Miami etc. Not to say it's all true I just feel we have a slim chance at getting him and his injuries are really a concern. I just wish the guy wasn't so injury prone.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Im so nba'd out
Banned
 
Im so nba'd out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jumping Da Jails N Da Pitfalls
Posts: 3,514
Im so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

I wish shawn marrion had opt'd out he would be the perfect fit for the 6ers
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
artificial
:-P
 
artificial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: alone with everyone
Posts: 4,449
artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Of course there's all of us dreaming about Elton Brand. If he decides to terminate the contract, Philly has to get him *insert prayer*


Aside from that, let's take a look at Sixers' current roster:

PG Andre Miller / Kevin Ollie
SG Willie Green / Rodney Carney / Louis Williams
SF Andre Iguodala / Thaddeus Young
PF Reggie Evans / Marreese Speights / Shavlik Randolph / Louis Amundson
C Samuel Dalembert / Calvin Booth / Jason Smith / Herbert Hill

From which Ollie is an unrestricted FA, and Iguodala, Williams, Randolph, Hill and Amundson are restricted FAs.



Let Ollie walk, and try to get Chris Duhon or Carlos Arroyo. Duhon is actually a very realistic option, as Chicago has a logjam at PG, and Philly can offer him some money. I like the idea of targeting James Jones. Could fit in very well, providing much needed range. Matt Barnes is another one I like here.


It's pretty ironic that we have so many players in the frontcourt... No one will offer Randolph / Hill / Amundson a contract, but if they do, please let them go. I wouldn't mind the three of them departed.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
76ers4life
Decent playground baller
 
76ers4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the matrix
Posts: 303
76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

One rumor that is making the rounds is the Sixers and Josh Smith. I'm not extremely high on Smith, but i'm no dummy either. He has tremendous shot blocking ability and he averages 17ppg he's very young so his numbers are going to go up for sure. He is axtremely athletic and could help out tremendously on defense. He would clearly help this team out in more ways than one.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
76ers4life
Decent playground baller
 
76ers4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the matrix
Posts: 303
76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Of course there's all of us dreaming about Elton Brand. If he decides to terminate the contract, Philly has to get him *insert prayer*


Aside from that, let's take a look at Sixers' current roster:

PG Andre Miller / Kevin Ollie
SG Willie Green / Rodney Carney / Louis Williams
SF Andre Iguodala / Thaddeus Young
PF Reggie Evans / Marreese Speights / Shavlik Randolph / Louis Amundson
C Samuel Dalembert / Calvin Booth / Jason Smith / Herbert Hill

From which Ollie is an unrestricted FA, and Iguodala, Williams, Randolph, Hill and Amundson are restricted FAs.



Let Ollie walk, and try to get Chris Duhon or Carlos Arroyo. Duhon is actually a very realistic option, as Chicago has a logjam at PG, and Philly can offer him some money. I like the idea of targeting James Jones. Could fit in very well, providing much needed range. Matt Barnes is another one I like here.


It's pretty ironic that we have so many players in the frontcourt... No one will offer Randolph / Hill / Amundson a contract, but if they do, please let them go. I wouldn't mind the three of them departed.
The only two I see coming back are Williams and Iguodala trust me the rest are gone. Their expiring contracts although may not be very costly are part of the huge amount of cap space. We have just enough to take care of Andre and Lou and that's it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nobody tries to snatch Lou because they have a shot.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
Elton Brand i'm not sure first he hasn't opted out yet second I heard the deadline is Monday. I'm constantly hearing rumors on Brand like he would only opt out for Miami etc. Not to say it's all true I just feel we have a slim chance at getting him and his injuries are really a concern. I just wish the guy wasn't so injury prone.
He's interested in Philly. Listen to him here...

http://950espn.com/Audio/tabid/183/a...ton-Brand.aspx

thats from Jun 5, 2008.

And he's not injury prone. The last time he played less than 70 games was 03-04 when he played 69. In 02-03 he played 62 games. Other than that he had years of 80, 74, 80, 81, 79, and 80 games. After missing most of the season last year he came back for the last 8 games of the season and averaged 18/8/2 in 34 mpg so I'm not worried about that injury.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
One rumor that is making the rounds is the Sixers and Josh Smith. I'm not extremely high on Smith, but i'm no dummy either. He has tremendous shot blocking ability and he averages 17ppg he's very young so his numbers are going to go up for sure. He is axtremely athletic and could help out tremendously on defense. He would clearly help this team out in more ways than one.
Josh Smith doesn't help our post offense/half court offense/shooting problems. He just gives us more of what we already have. He's pretty much Andre Iguodala in Thaddeus Young's body.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
76ers4life
Decent playground baller
 
76ers4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the matrix
Posts: 303
76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Josh Smith doesn't help our post offense/half court offense/shooting problems. He just gives us more of what we already have. He's pretty much Andre Iguodala in Thaddeus Young's body.
I wonder if this all came about because Ed knows that his chances of landing Brand are slim. Overall this free agent class is real weak so I really have no clue who we are targeting. You are right he won't help our half court offense and it seems the players that could are out of reach.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 06-29-2008 at 11:56 AM.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
I wonder if this all came about because Ed knows that his chances of landing Brand are slim. Overall this free agent class is real weak so I really have no clue who we are targeting. You are right he won't help our half court offense and it seems the players that could are out of reach.
I think if Brand opts out, he's a Sixer. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
iggy>
happy tanksgiving
 
iggy>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Philly
Posts: 3,989
iggy> has decent reputation
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think if Brand opts out, he's a Sixer. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
yea since miami took beasley they now have a plethora of pf's, brand wont be going there. so if he opts out hes most likely coming here.

he might not opt out though, which would really suck.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
yea since miami took beasley they now have a plethora of pf's, brand wont be going there. so if he opts out hes most likely coming here.

he might not opt out though, which would really suck.
It would. The other part that sucks is since we have money under the cap, we don't have a mid level exception to spend. Supposedly you don't get both. So there goes the chance of James Jones. If we were to get Brand, any other player we get would have to be for the veteran minimum.

Quote:
But, in any case, a perimeter shooter and/or an additional point guard might have to come at the veterans' minimum. And don't think about the possibility of the Sixers using the mid-level exception: They don't have one. By rule, a team can have money under the cap or the exception, but not both.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor..._ag ents.html
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Jordandunk23
Rockets
 
Jordandunk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,791
Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

The Sixers are a young team with a bright future. First you gotta resign Iggy and Andre Miller to extentions, dont even wait for next season... this way you get to see your future outlook in terms of money for the future. (depends how much iggy and millers extentions are).

If Philly could get Brand that would be a HUGE signing. the roster isnt bad and with the addition of brand, it would put this team to contend againts the upper class teams in the east.

I agree with Duhon, he would be a great backup point.
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
artificial
:-P
 
artificial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: alone with everyone
Posts: 4,449
artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Who should the sixers target in free-agency

Quote:
And don't think about the possibility of the Sixers using the mid-level exception: They don't have one. By rule, a team can have money under the cap or the exception, but not both.
I'm not sure I get that. Sixers are under the cap, so they can throw an amount to a player without worrying too much about the cap, right? Can't Sixers just offer, say, Duhon or James the equivalent money to a MLE -that as far as I know is the average amount of money a player in the NBA receives-?

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting it right ?_?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy