Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation
Default We Got Marreese Speights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8yoD0IWtw

good low post scorer, just what we needed.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: We Got Marreese Speights

I was hoping to get Darrel Arthur at that point, but I want to believe there's a very good reason so many teams passed on him.

I didn't watched Marreese in Florida, but from what I've read he has a nice offensive game -albeit questionable shot selection and sometimes relying too much on the perimeter despite having the physical tools to work inside- and good rebounder. And it seems many of his weaknesses come on the defensive side, such as awareness and focus.

If he puts up together his offensive game and can manage to rebound decently he could crawl into the starting lineup -hopefully at midseason, probably later- where theoretically Dalembert could complement his defensive lackings.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Im so nba'd out
Banned

Im so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8yoD0IWtw

good low post scorer, just what we needed.
I doubt that Josh Smith really will leave his hometown team for slightly more money when he allready has so much so im glade we drafted a big forward/center type player who can score.
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
I was hoping to get Darrel Arthur at that point, but I want to believe there's a very good reason so many teams passed on him.

I didn't watched Marreese in Florida, but from what I've read he has a nice offensive game -albeit questionable shot selection and sometimes relying too much on the perimeter despite having the physical tools to work inside- and good rebounder. And it seems many of his weaknesses come on the defensive side, such as awareness and focus.

If he puts up together his offensive game and can manage to rebound decently he could crawl into the starting lineup -hopefully at midseason, probably later- where theoretically Dalembert could complement his defensive lackings.
He can play defense when he wants. He was shutting Joe Alexander down in workouts (see here http://youtube.com/watch?v=pzf-dkLJCGc ) "3 on 3 game where he really shut down joe alexander".

Speights is the player I wanted from the beginning. He and Hickson were really the only players who could play in the post around where they were picking. Arthur was good, but his low post offense isn't where he gets his points. Most of his points come from alley oops and loose ball rebounds he turns into dunks. He also likes to shoot a little more from mid range. Speights was the best pick here.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a Florida fan and watched almost every Gator game last year. Marreese Speights had all the physical tools to be a top 5 pick yesterday. The only problem he has is between his ears. He had an outstanding offensive game for college. He was one of the most efficient scorers in the nation. He has a better developed midrange game than Al Horford did last year and the draft workout talk of extending his range to three point land is not a bunch of hot air. He's also got a good back-to-the-basket game and is good in transition.

Where he struggled last season was with conditioning and effort on the defensive end. But when he puts his mind to it, he can be a very good defender. He's a decent shotblocker and his knack for drawing charges is very underrated. And at times he seemed to play down to the level of the competition. But to be completely fair, this was his first year playing any semblance of real minutes with very young and inconsistent teammates. He was also forced to play out of position. He's a natural power forward and had to play center. Due to frontcourt attrition from the previous year's draft, Speights was the only real big on the team. The starting PF was a 6'7" SF also playing out of position. This situation put a lot of pressure on Speights on both ends of the court.

My only questions for Speights future in the NBA is whether he'll be motivated. Hopefully a paycheck will help. Speights also played with one of the best distributors in the nation last year so it's uncertain how well he would perform if he were ever paired with a shoot-first PG. He's an ideal fit for the Sixers' style of play and hopefully you guys will be able to get the best out of him.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Good to read from someone who followed him in college. I don't get to watch much college ball so this kind of insights come in nicely
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Speights is my boy in real life. He's a cool cat man and you guys will enjoy him
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd also like to point out that he's still 19 years old...very young for a sophomore. So all these work ethic problems could be due to his age also.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

76ers4life has an OK reputation so far

Love the pick this was the guy I wanted from the start. He fills a big need for us in the paint. i'm going to wait on judgement because the nba is obviously a different game than college. I still wonder are we still going to upgrade that position in free agency. I would really like to see him come in right away if we don't that's if he wows the coaches.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

thejoyofsobe has an OK reputation so far

The Sixers should also be able to quickly fix his bad habit of grabbing one-handed rebounds.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

76ers4life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoyofsobe
The Sixers should also be able to quickly fix his bad habit of grabbing one-handed rebounds.
Nothing a couple months of summer league can't fix. He should come out more polished than when he came in. He has some flaws but they aren't as bad as some rookies that come out.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Speights is solid pick that should be able to step in right away and contribute. I really thought that we would take Darrell Arthur or Donte Greene, but hopefully we won't regret it. The Sixer's lineup should be:

Miller/Williams/Ollie
Green/Carney
Iguodala/Young
Smith/Evans/Speights/Amundson/Hill
Dalembert/Randolph/Booth

I suspect Speights will get into the rotation and split time with Jason Smith, Thaddeus Young, and Reggie Evans at the power forward position with Young playing small forward backing up Iggy at times as well. We really need to sign an athletic shooting guard or perimeter threat that can space the floor and also capable of running the fast break. I definitely expect some off season trades/acquisitions.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

bball iq is my issue with him and falling in love with the jumper.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
bball iq is my issue with him and falling in love with the jumper.
I'm not so worried about him falling in love with the jumper. He shot 62% last year so he should be nice around the basket. But I'm not sure of his basketball IQ. He's young for a sophomore though and hasn't reached 20 yet.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

At first, I was upset we passed up on Darrell Arthur. I am happy with the pick now that I have watched and read up on Speights more.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: