Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-10-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default What is your opinion of this trade to get the #4?

http://newsok.com/article/keyword/3254792/?pg=2

Blazers get:
Chris Wilcox
2nd Rounder

Sonics get:
Martell Webster
Jarrett Jack
Channing Frye

Blazers could get Bayless, and have Wilcox be at least a short term backup for Aldridge in Frye's absence. Jack is simply unnecessary for us now that we have Rudy coming in. Webster is the part that hurts the most. He is still only 21 and improves every year. My fear is that he turns out to be an amazing player 5 years from now.

So, beyond what is said in the brief article, the Blazers would have more trades to make with now having the #24, and 4 2nd rounders. 3-4 of the 2nd rounders could be traded to get another pick in the 20s. We could then package the 2 picks in the 20s to get into the teens (mid to late). Lets pretend we could do that process to get about #16.

It would end up being:
3 2nd rounders
Webster
Frye
Jack

for

Bayless
Wilcox

G: Bayless/Blake/Sergio
G: Roy/Rudy
F: Outlaw/Jones/#16
F: Aldridge/Wilcox/McRoberts
C: Oden/Przybilla/Raef

Its not the greatest trade, but it could work out for both teams. Now if only we could get all this done but with Sergio and McRoberts instead of Webster (not happening)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
iamflang
Can barely lace up my sneakers

iamflang has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What is your opinion of this trade to get the #4?

why would the sonics do that trade? it seems like they give up a pick to get a star-quality player, and only get prospects in return.
iamflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflang
why would the sonics do that trade? it seems like they give up a pick to get a star-quality player, and only get prospects in return.

Webster, Frye and Jack could all potentially start for the Sonics. I'm not saying its the greatest trade idea. Heck, I'm not even the one that came up with it. But they do get 3 good (not great players) with one of them potentially being a future all-star. If Webster does pan out, then this trade is not that unfair. Plus, there is the chance that Bayless (or whoever the Sonics pick) doesn't adjust well to the NBA. In that case, it would still be a good trade for the Sonics.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
iamflang

to me, it seems like there is too much risk involved for the sonics. the only way i see this trade really working is if there are some players the sonics are really targeting in the second round. for a team who needs a lot of pieces/upgrades, this might work.

i don't really think we need to trade that high though. i prefer russel westbrook to bayless, as i think he's a better pick for the role we want him to play. i think we should be targeting the 6/7/8 pick to get westbrook. bayless is more of a scorer than we need.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Well who do we go to as our shooter without Webster? We have James Jones, but he is a little iffy (so is Webster, but I still trust him a little more).
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
iamflang

b-roy is a good shooter. travis is also iffy, but he's getting better. giving up martell really doesn't hurt us that much, besides the possibility of him becoming great.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Myth

I've heard Rudy can shoot as well.

One nice thing about this trade for the Blazers is that we get a PG and retain Raef. We could either draft a replacement for Webster or we could use Raef to trade for one or wait till Raef goes off the books and buy a replacement next year.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
iamflang

plus, with our room under the salary cap + raef's expiring, we can buy ourselves a great one.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Well, I dont neccasarilly agree or disagree, just trying to make discussion. But, I like that when Steve Blake isn't working, Jarret Jack can come in and usually get things going. Yeah, we could get a PG in the draft, but will a rookie PG work out? Also, I don't like that we bank on the fact Rudy is a good shooter, and Roy isn't that great of a shooter. I love James Jones, but after his injury he has been meh (although I have heard he hits the gym/court hard for practice, so hopefully he will get back to his normal self this summer). The biggest thing I don't like is getting rid of Frye. He's not awesome, but when Pryzbilla got injured, it seemed like he won those last games for us, he looked like a starter. I understand I'm being kind of negative, and obviously some guys will get moved around, but thats just what I don't like about the deal. It seems like its banking too much on Rudy being a good shooter in the NBA, and the #4 pick (PG I would assume) working out.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
iamflang

i agree. i'd rather part with less (like jarret or blake, along with some second rounds and #13) to move up to a lower spot and acquire westbrook. i don't think we need a star quality player, just the right peice to go with what we've already built. i'm convinced its westbrook. if KP/nate agrees, then i have no doubt they'll get him, without giving up anything vital.

go kp!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I think you're overrating Webster, Jack and Frye. Why would the Sonics do this? They can get better players at #4 and #24 in this deep draft than Webster and Jack. Martell Webster will never be a great player if you're talking in terms of second tier stars like Ray Allen. What you see from him this upcoming season is what you'll get for the majority of his career. Nick Collison would start over Frye because Collison is the better all around player. I highly doubt the Sonics would trade Wilcox in that package also. Wilcox is a massivly underrated power forward and could really flourish in the right system. He's like a Zach Randolph with a better attitude, more explosiveness but worse back to the basket game but with better defense. Also why trade all three 2nd rounders when we can add a Euro player that can come over in the next 3-5 years. The only way I'd agree with trading all 2nd rounders would to bring in a legit star and Bayless, Wilcox and whoever the #16 pick is probably won't be that. You're basically giving up seven players for two unprovens and Chris Wilcox.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
iamflang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I think you're overrating Webster, Jack and Frye. Why would the Sonics do this? They can get better players at #4 and #24 in this deep draft than Webster and Jack. Martell Webster will never be a great player if you're talking in terms of second tier stars like Ray Allen. What you see from him this upcoming season is what you'll get for the majority of his career. Nick Collison would start over Frye because Collison is the better all around player. I highly doubt the Sonics would trade Wilcox in that package also. Wilcox is a massivly underrated power forward and could really flourish in the right system. He's like a Zach Randolph with a better attitude, more explosiveness but worse back to the basket game but with better defense. Also why trade all three 2nd rounders when we can add a Euro player that can come over in the next 3-5 years. The only way I'd agree with trading all 2nd rounders would to bring in a legit star and Bayless, Wilcox and whoever the #16 pick is probably won't be that. You're basically giving up seven players for two unprovens and Chris Wilcox.

he's right. you're not giving anything of equal value to the #4 pick to the sonics.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflang
he's right. you're not giving anything of equal value to the #4 pick to the sonics.

I was only looking at the proposed trade from the Blazers perspective anyway. If the Sonics don't like it, then the trade doesn't happen. I'm not inclined to give up any more.

Btw, I don't think this next year will show what Webster will be able to do. He is only 21. I don't think that "you'll know what type of player they will be after 3-4 years" rule is consistent. It may work for those who had 2 years of college, but players from high school have a longer learning process to go through. Even then, its not that consistent.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Good point about Webster. I never knew he was only 21, and never realized the learning process might take so long. It's strange, not even very rational, but I see a lot of potential in Webster. Anyone else?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
Myth

I see plenty of potential in him. People are really high on Outlaw right now because Outlaw had a better season, but Webster had a better season than Outlaw had in Outlaw's third year as a 21 year old. There is a strong possibility that he could end up better than Outlaw, and I mean not just better than Outlaw now, but whatever Outlaw's peak will be. Not saying it will happen, but a strong possibility. Its really guess work to determine who will be better.

Edit: Another way of looking at it is Webster is only 1 year older than Oden.

Last edited by Myth : 06-11-2008 at 11:55 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: