Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Can anyone justify what athletes get paid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
they're paid that money, because they bring even bigger money to their employers.

and they bring even bigger money to their employers because WE are willing to pay to watch them, wear their gear, follow them religiously and so on.
Exactly.

And Ronaldo's contract offer is in Euros,Euros have more value than the American dollar so the $560,000 looks like crazy money to us.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #32
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
The Roman empire lasted close to 1000 years in the West and 2000 in the East.
you seem to be thinking of "civilisation". the word i used was "empire".

also, you're treating a series of sub-civilisations as a continuous entity in the east. the actual eastern empire only lasted around 1000+ years.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #33
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

500,000 a week just to play a game that I love. It doesnt get much better than that.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #34
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
how about hip hop stars?
how about top-shelf actors?
both make sick money, and in many cases, more than top athletes.

yea, but you pay about 10 bucks(probably even free) to see said star *working*, where as you have to see about 40 bucks(for a decent seat) to see a pro athlete perform.

oh, and in case you were interested, shia only got 500k for transformerss
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #35
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
you seem to be thinking of "civilisation". the word i used was "empire".

also, you're treating a series of sub-civilisations as a continuous entity in the east. the actual eastern empire only lasted around 1000+ years.
Yep, I was counting from the founding of Rome.
I just did a bit of googling just now and found the empire answer:
Approx 525 years for the Western Empire (Rome) and 1475 years for the Eastern Empire in Byzantium (Istanbul).
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #36
bankshot34
I hit open layups

bankshot34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Who can justify these salaries?!?

Would you justify a CEO's salary?

Quote:
These people don't further our progress as humans

Correct.

Quote:
don't solve world problems

Correct.

Quote:
don't protect us as we sleep.

Correct.

That's it? Is your stance to the point that these athletes should get paid minimum wage? Physical talents are just as worthy as mental talents.
bankshot34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #37
Homeslice
I hit open layups

Homeslice has an OK reputation so far

They need to make a lot of money because they SPEND a lot of money...

Duh....
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #38
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
exactly. we only have ourselves to blame, as fans who spend money to watch the games we are responsible.

Keep buying those Stromile Swift jerseys. How many are we up to now StroShow? Remember, it's like $170 a pop.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #39
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
Yep, I was counting from the founding of Rome.
I just did a bit of googling just now and found the empire answer:
Approx 525 years for the Western Empire (Rome) and 1475 years for the Eastern Empire in Byzantium (Istanbul).
for the western half that's again an overestimation IMO. rome didn't become an extended power until (optimistically) the conquests during the two triumvirate periods. then it became more of a conquest grounds than an empire somewhere after around 300.

and again, the byzantine empire only lasted around 1150 years (330 - 1453) according to WP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #40
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

Sounds like Pinko marxist Noam Chomsky talk.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #41
Foster5k
College star

Foster5k has not been impressing people

Simple economics man. Supply vs demand. There is a huge demand for skilled players in pro sports, while the supply is not all that high. If you had 5 out of 6 people who could be a Shaq or a Kobe Bryant, then their salaries wouldn't be so high. However, you only have a handful of people capable of excelling in pro sports vs elite players like in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.
Foster5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #42
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
So who else should get the money from the tickets, mechandise and tv deals? The only athletes that get paid outrageous money are the ones in sports that have the fanbase to support it.

GTFO, you communist

This is why people hate America... Im not saying I hate America. I love it. However, the "your with us or your against us" menatlity we have going here is really starting to piss me off...
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #43
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
My example is that I work as an English teacher. I help shape minds and prepare people for their journey into the real world...

No. Just no.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #44
AusBarbosa
Can barely lace up my sneakers

AusBarbosa has an OK reputation so far

Absolutely no one can justify athletes being paid the ridiculous amount of money they get. Sure they are the best in the world at what they do, but in the end they're just playing a game. As long as there are people starving in this world, the amount of money these guys are getting is complete BS.
AusBarbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #45
Voulnet
Decent playground baller

Voulnet has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
So who else should get the money from the tickets, mechandise and tv deals? The only athletes that get paid outrageous money are the ones in sports that have the fanbase to support it.

Yeah, just like Kwame Brown.
Voulnet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: