Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board
Default Kevin Garnett a Laker

I just got an article of Insidehoops.com about this, it was a link to msnbc about KG being on a different team and said some stuff about the Lakers..

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14467468/

Let me say this first: All players want to win. You don’t get to be a professional athlete without being a great competitor. Yes, even Derrick Coleman. But as with every profession, there are degrees of desire and commitment. Some just want to succeed more than others. Yes, duh!

Hey, if you want a deep thinker, try Spinoza, Descartes or Phil Jackson.

Which left me to wonder why Kevin Garnett still hasn’t tried Phil Jackson.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

I’m sure Jackson would love to have Garnett and with Kobe Bryant and a role player or two, Garnett and Bryant sounds like a potential championship team to me.

Which always makes me wonder about Garnett and just whether he’s gotten so comfortable with money and mediocrity that he’s satisfied to continue playing out season after season with only a chance to make the playoffs, which he hasn’t done the last two seasons — seemingly impossible in a league in which more than half the teams make the playoffs — and let the blame fall elsewhere.

After all, he’s KG.

But rarely in the history of the NBA has a great player, or in the case of Garnett, a great talent, seemingly accepted being on an ordinary team so willingly. It makes Garnett one of the true enigmas of the NBA, the top talent who seems to accept failure so easily. And, yes, it’s a failure if you are Garnett and not even in the playoffs.

You have to explain yourself a lot when you talk about Garnett because he is so popular and such a terrific talent. I’ve long tried to cook up trades to get him to Chicago. I believe, despite what’s occurred in Minneapolis, that Garnett is a difference maker and could get a number of teams playing for a championship. I’d want him on my team.

What I always wonder is why Garnett seems to push for it less than I do.

It’s noble to want to commit to your team and stay the course through thick and thin (note: that’s all the clichés allowed in this column and I should be penalized for any more). But Garnett has given the Timberwolves 11 years and more than 30,000 minutes played.

Let him go!

MESSAGE BOARDS
• Sound off on your favorite NBA teams
I don’t actually blame them for trying to hang onto Garnett because rarely, if ever, do teams fare well trading a star. But it often happens, and it usually is driven by the star because he wants to have a chance to play in the truly meaningful games.

This Timberwolves franchise remains a mess, little fault of Garnett’s. They never truly have recovered from Stephon Marbury’s defection and the illegal Joe Smith signing, and have continued a series of often ill-advised patchwork moves figuring Garnett could keep them in contention. But even that’s failed the last two years. So they picked up Mike James from Toronto. It sounds like another stopgap.

What I wonder is why Garnett never says, “Enough is enough” and demands to move on.

The Lakers have been pining for him. The Bulls would have put together a heck of a package of young players so Minnesota could rebuild quickly. The bidding would have been terrific. No, the Timberwolves wouldn’t have been a playoff team next season. But they may not be with Garnett, and then where are they in two or three years when he does leave or his value is so diminished it wouldn’t be worth trading him?

But, more significantly, why doesn’t Garnett push this? Sure, he’s under contract. But no team can survive its star wanting to be traded. They have to deal. Look at the Lakers and Shaq.

Charles Barkley did and said a lot of goofy things in his career. But he was determined to have a chance to win. He made a mess in Philadelphia and even may have vomited on the Liberty Bell. But he got his deal and was deep in the finals the next season.

Oscar Robertson may have been the most unappreciated great player in his own city ever. The circumstances were different, but Oscar wasn’t going to allow the Cincinnati Royals to send him to Baltimore. He got his trade to Milwaukee and won a championship with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor). Magic Johnson decided to leave Michigan State after his sophomore year (rare then) because he knew he’d be playing with a center, either Abdul-Jabbar or Artis Gilmore as the Lakers and Bulls had the top two picks in the draft. The moves weren’t always popular, and Magic got burned later pushing for a coaching change, but the idea was to be in position to win.

One never seems to see that with Garnett.

Recently, Garnett was quoted in a SLAM Magazine article criticizing the Timberwolves front office and talking vaguely about leaving and his playing clock running out. All it would take is a declaration: I want out!

Like Barkley and Shaq and Abdul-Jabbar and many others have done in the NBA. Players are routinely then skewered in the media, called selfish and spoiled, and commentators weigh in with deep thoughts about responsibility in life. And then the guy gets to the finals and is celebrated.

Garnett’s got a mansion in Malibu. He’s done playing every April. He’s done playing for USA Basketball.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Someone give Garnett a call... he need's to be a Laker! Its a logical conclusion to have him and Kobe fighting Shaq and Wade for a championship! =)
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Yeah I know, can you imagine what kind of team they'd have.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #4
KBTwoFour
Athletic Park Baller

KBTwoFour has no real reputation yet.
Smile

Yeah,
I really want Garnett badly too and its like Mchale is only keeping him to secure income from the fans and season ticket holders in Minny. Man, I wish we had Garnett going into training camp.
KBTwoFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
Smurf
I brick open layups

Smurf has an OK reputation so far

My ultimate dream would be to have Kobe, LO and Garnett on the same team. In NBA Live 06 I actually traded for him and had a team like that.
Please KG just come out and say it "I want to be a Laker"
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:07 AM   #6
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation

What more do you need?
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:15 AM   #7
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

I think KG wants to be a laker. he knows that we want him more than anyone. hes aware of the consequences if he gets paired up with the best player in the game today and combining them two's desire to win...it would be a match made in heaven. the thing is that KG is a classy loyal guy, he wants to stick with his team through thick and thin as the article said.

in slam, he said that twolves have to get better than this or he has to go...so if mchale stops here, kg will be moved accordingly. all we can do is just wait and hope that management keeps trying.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 AM   #8
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Kevin Garnett on the Los Angeles Lakers is a serious pipe dream. It would be nice to have him, but people are now looking at the Shaquille O'Neal for Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, and Caron Butler trade as an example as to why, in most cases, you won't get equal or better value.

Reporters and columnists are now going to be reporting on how close Kevin Garnett is to contemplating with the Los Angeles Lakers, not because it's true, but because to sell their articles, newspapers, and to make a name for themselves.

Classic case with the Carlos Boozer rumor a while ago and just recently Al Harrington.

These reporters putting the words "Kevin Garnett" and "Los Angeles Lakers" together are playing with us and toying with Los Angeles Lakers' fans' emotions. This is just pure speculation.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

how about mchale and his love for the lakers?
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

KG pairing up with the kobester is the only way anyone of the two will ever win a title again ( no disrespect on kobe) especially kobe who already has 3 rings (thanks to shaq although snaq couldn't do it by himself either) and if he ever wants to accomplish another ring he's gonna need another big time performer in KG who will be the perfect fit for kobe and the lakers.

Although I like to see "THE BIG TICKET" in the lakers gear, history wont let it become a reality because of the lakers and the celtics hated rivalry. I just can't see the much hated celtic ( WOLVE'S GM KEVIN McHALE who once clothes-lined rambis hard to the ground ) doing the lakers a favor in making us a dynasty team all over again- LOL !
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

traditionone has an OK reputation so far

Kevin McKale will never trade Garnett to the Lakers unless he is forced to. KG would have to demand it and I don't think he will make such a stern demand. He's loyal to a fault.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Kevin McKale will never trade Garnett to the Lakers

End of Thread.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SETH

What more do you need?

SWEET!!!!! Awesome!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
how about mchale and his love for the lakers?

people dont care about rivalries or anything when it comes down to business...if were willing to take a disgruntled garnett then we would give them guys in return too hes not gonna remember the time lakers beat them in the finals and say no to us every time.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
End of Thread.

you know what this guys right...we should take nowitzki away from the mavs i think thats better becaise of his shooting ability. great for the triangle.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: