Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #16
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Ya, Bourne is probably right. The players arent thinking about the injuried soldiers from Iraq when they slam home an alley-oop. Its just show-boating.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #17
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
I am sure if the soldiers didn't find it appropriate they'd know about it.....you do know where Coach K is from right?

Citadel right or what;sit called in Virginia.....He's Military.....he wouldn't let them do it and they'd stop...they aren't that type....like the armed forces they rep the country .....

whateva....I guess someone has to have a bug up their ass and its you.

Sorry, I'm voicing an opinion, one that can change if a poster presents factual information that will help me understand the situation better. Perhaps you'd like to hear what I have to say on people who cannot finish a ****ing sentence properly so they end every sentence... like... this...?
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mamba
Salute is heart felt, and cool. They are giving props to the troops in attendence. It makes them feel even more with us, and giving US inspiration even on the basketball court. They deserve the representation. It's good for us.

yeah right. There isn't a single damn thing lebron james does thats heart felt and genuine. They just want more money and to look good. I don't see any of them donating money to soldiers who return to the States to rehabilitate their lives. It's all phony.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #19
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bah, its an overreaction by people who want to be overly anti millitary. Its just a salute. The US Army is not the only army in the world ever to salute each other. Its not representative of some particular bad time or anything. They saluted the troops, it was fun, now they are saluting each other.

Seriously, if you find it that offensive you got some issues. It's not a big deal. And the troops seem to love it, so having a pissy fit on their behalf seems retarded to me.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne
Sorry, I'm voicing an opinion, one that can change if a poster presents factual information that will help me understand the situation better. Perhaps you'd like to hear what I have to say on people who cannot finish a ****ing sentence properly so they end every sentence... like... this...?

So you don't understand that COach K is a Military Man? Okay v-Bulletin Grammar Police. Maybe you should have a thought that is worth framing in a proper sentence before you write such drivel. The Coach of the Mens U.S.A team is a MILITARY MAN I think it was WEST POINT he went to even Big Red Alluded to this. I guess when Denver was doing it you were there to decry their use of the salute........

****in tard.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I think part of this is just a general dislike for Americans (or American blacks, specifically). Anything the American team does will be scrutinized under a microscope and picked at ad nauseum.

Want to be offended? Fine. Don't agree with what America is doing in Iraq? Great. Me neither. I've been opposed to it since day one. But come back and let me know when the American team is making racist gestures to the crowd like happens so often in soccer competitions.

Bunch of armchair social commentators here waxing idiotic about how they think it's disgraceful and tasteless. Were you in the US army? Are you personally offended by it? Why haven't the soldiers said anything? They're strong enough to fight a war but not let some basketball players that they're being disrespectful?

Next time someone is playing Counter-Strike online I'll make sure and let them know not to say things like "semper fi" unless they served because it might offend someone.
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #22
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

(Damn lag caused a double post.)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #23
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

pfff, i think your reading too far into this.

The players had full on bonding sessions with the soldiers. If anything they probably asked the soldiers if they'd appreciate it.

Sure its just a game and the "salute" should seriously, but the US players are using it as a thank you to the soldiers whenever they produce something special on the court. It shows their appreciation and understanding that the soldiers have been risking their lives so that people like nba players can keep living their life and representing America.

They wouldnt have a problem with it im sure.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #24
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Also, players shouldn't point to the sky like they're thanking God because what if someone in the audience was an atheist? That's disrespectful to them.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #25
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Bah, its an overreaction by people who want to be overly anti millitary. Its just a salute. The US Army is not the only army in the world ever to salute each other. Its not representative of some particular bad time or anything. They saluted the troops, it was fun, now they are saluting each other.

Seriously, if you find it that offensive you got some issues. It's not a big deal. And the troops seem to love it, so having a pissy fit on their behalf seems retarded to me.

Saluting each other? Yeah, men being paid millions to play a game they love playing saluting each other makes a lot of sense. Using an army gesture after getting 2 points in a game = trivializing.

I'm not arguing this on behalf of the soldiers (not completely at least), I'm annoyed at the players show-boating like conceited dolts on an international scale. I like Team USA and I'd like them not to be disrespected internationally because of stupid things.

If you ask me, the salutes the players do after a powerful dunk or something isn't a sign of respect, it's a masked way of saying "**** you, America > you" to the international crowd.

Before someone goes off on me, I'm not grinding an axe with the US (as my last paragraph might signal to some people), I am angry that the players attitude.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #26
joewait

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Also, players shouldn't point to the sky like they're thanking God because what if someone in the audience was an atheist? That's disrespectful to them.

i know what you're getting at, but what they are doing is arrogant. especially considering most of the guys on the US team blow nuts under FIBA ball when they can't bend the rules like they can in the nba.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #27
different107

different107 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Atleast they aren't making racist gestures at the crowd like those well-mannered soccer players do. ;)

ROFL...

but ya it seems like it was done more out of respect to me
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #28
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Showing up the opposition is not cool in a lot of other places in the world.

That being said, the salute is giving respect to the soldiers (which is cool). But it is also in an inadvertent way of giving a thumbs up to US foreign policy and military might(which can be seen as very uncool to a lot of people).

I don't see it this way, I think it is a nice gesture to the soldiers, but it will rub a lot of people the wrong way, it basically depends on how you choose to look at it.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #29
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
So you don't understand that COach K is a Military Man? Okay v-Bulletin Grammar Police. Maybe you should have a thought that is worth framing in a proper sentence before you write such drivel. The Coach of the Mens U.S.A team is a MILITARY MAN I think it was WEST POINT he went to even Big Red Alluded to this. I guess when Denver was doing it you were there to decry their use of the salute........

****in tard.

I did understand that you damn fool, and I appreciate the relevance of it. I didn't know Denver did it. Doesn't matter, it wasn't on such a grand scale. America's international reputation (in basketball) would not take as big a hit from doing the same as Team USA in a game between the Nuggets and ____.

And btw, I'm am reading into this a bit too much, but when a book is slammed in your face as many times as the salute has, you begin to read the words.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 AM   #30
The Mamba
High School Starter

The Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this boardThe Mamba is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
yeah right. There isn't a single damn thing lebron james does thats heart felt and genuine.
How the hell can you say that? You don't know the guy from atom. That is pure opinion on your part. No truth can, or will back that. Especially since LeBron is known as a great contributer to his community.

Quote:
They just want more money and to look good.
Who doesn't? Please, that is society as a whole. With maybe a few exceptions. But don't act as if these guys aren't genuine, or make contributions. Cause they do.

Quote:
I don't see any of them donating money to soldiers who return to the States to rehabilitate their lives. It's all phony.
Just cause you don't see it, doesn't mean it may not happen. But, who says they have to? That isn't their job. If they do it, great... but that is the government's job. Not NBA players. There is no way in hell they would be able to help that many soldiers. Rehabilitating their lives doesn't always have to deal with money. Soldiers make money. It is the psychological trauma that they most need help with. How does LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, etc. help with that? The only thing phony is your fake ass ideal, morals, and projected vision. Let's see if you do have the crap you claim NBA players should do.

BTW, to whoever said it makes Americans look arrogant... who cares? Do you think but not doing the salute that other countries minds would be different about us? haha, don't be foolish. They think we are arrogant and cocky, regardless. But for the most part, it is true. It is how we carry ourselves. Why run from it? It helped us get where we are. Embrace it, it is us. It's why Charles Barkely was the biggest bad ass on the O.G. Dream Team. He told you we were going to beat you, and then did it. But don't act as if other countries don't act arrogant, or show boat. I have seen it plenty of times. Mainly in soccer, where they know they are good at. People do all kinds of crazy stuff when it comes to soccer. Fans as well. Makes some of the "arrogant" things we do look miniscule. Hell, I remember Puerto Rico, after beating us in '04 banging on their chests, etc. Don't catch feelings. Emotion is part of the game, as is celebrating, showboating, and in America's case in basketball... being arrogant. It's who we are. It is what gives us our identity. It also as of right now is our driving force. We know we are the best, so go out and prove it, and stop losing and bull ****ting around. It's time to take back what is ours. That is how you got to play sports. Especially to be successful. American just brings it out onto the court. I see no harm in that. I enjoy it. I relish in it. Especially when they prove it with their play. But once again, I still feel the salute is in good jest. These guys have been listening to soldiers stories for a couple weeks now in private meetings. I think it is good to acknowledge the soldiers in attendance.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: