Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default If Kevin Garnett Was A Team Player

Why would he continue to sign contract extensions paying him over $20 Million per season.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take the money if it were offered,but does he not realize that if he actually wants for the team to improve it would come with salary cap room meaning for him to take a smaller salary.

If Kevin were a team player,he would've turned down the 3/$60 Million dollar extension Danny Ainge offered and signed something smaller like 3/$36 Million which would have paid him $12 Million each season along with freeing up $8 Million in cap space for Boston to maybe sign some help down the road.

I think Paul Pierce understands that,I believe hes a team player and if he had the chance to re-do his contract I personally believe he'd take less money for the sake of the team bringing in more help.Same with Ray Allen.

The bad/good part for them is that they're locked in their current contracts they signed back when they played for bad teams before they knew they would be in this position to win a Championship.

This is the main reason why I dislike certain players,because many do not solely care about winning a Championship instead they care about earning the most money they can.

It really makes me wonder what is the sole intention of playing in the NBA?
To win/compete for a Championship or To make the most money you can

When you've made approximately $210 Million in contracts in your career like Kevin Garnett has,how much of a difference would that $10 Million make each season if you could improve your team so you could earn that Championship you claim you've been playing for in your career.

This is why I just can't root for KG,because although it was such a sad story to see him in Minnesota,you can't solely blame management for not being able to put talent around him with that ****ing asteroid of a contract taking up 1/3 of the team's payroll.

Yet he goes to Boston with Pierce and Allen and still does what he's somewhat mentally engineered to do and take the big money,he's sacrificing ****ing $4 Million

When he looks back on his career,and may come to the realization he caused this on himself by being self concerned financially,I hope he then buys Ira Newble's Championship ring.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: If Kevin Garnett Was A Team Player

if kg signed for 36 million they would still have no cap room as they would still be over the cap.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
if kg signed for 36 million they would still have no cap room as they would still be over the cap.
So that justifies him signing for 60 Million
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
why not? they still signed sam cassell and pj brown. if he signs for less money? they're still in the same situation. so take the money.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

with the salary already on the books in Boston if the Celtics payed KG just a couple million dollars they would be over the cap. Do you think KG should be playing for free, even then I believe the Celtics would still be over the cap.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I've always wondered why the superstars who would "play the game even if there wasn't money involved" don't converse with one another and settle on a team to go to while taking on small contracts of about 3 million a year.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Only a dumbass would take a huge paycut. You always put your family and future generations over you NBA team. You maximize your earnings potential or at least close to it. I could see a small paycut but a big one is stupid. What team is more important, your family? or you NBA team?

NBA teams don't give a damn about players so why should they take paycuts for them? Sometimes fans get caught up too much in titles and stuff in the real world, is it really better to be Bruce Bowen and get paid a little then to be a guy like Tim Thomas who doesnt really like ball as much now but still got his money. Outside of the bball world no one is gonna care about the title but that extra money is big.

Quote:
I've always wondered why the superstars who would "play the game even if there wasn't money involved" don't converse with one another and settle on a team to go to while taking on small contracts of about 3 million a year.

Why would you do something for little money when people are paying you a lot to do the same thing. People act like 3 million is a lot and it is but dont get that confused with making 20 million a year, and the security that brings. Plus dont forget that many players are not frugal with their money and their career isnt very long and could end any second.

When I heard KG saying he would take a paycut in Minnesota all I thought was he is naive and immature.

Last edited by Younggrease : 06-07-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Only a dumbass would take a huge paycut. You always put your family and future generations over you NBA team. You maximize your earnings potential or at least close to it. I could see a small paycut but a big one is stupid. What team is more important, your family? or you NBA team?
Well when you've made approximately $210 Million dollars,yeah I think you should be able to take a smaller contract.

Unless Garnett has wasted all of his money over his career,there should be no need for that big of money.

His future generations?KG had his first child in April and if you don't think his child will be able to make it easy for the rest of her life you're ****ing foolish.

Quote:
NBA teams don't give a damn about players so why should they take paycuts for them? Sometimes fans get caught up too much in titles and stuff in the real world, is it really better to be Bruce Bowen and get paid a little then to be a guy like Tim Thomas who doesnt really like ball as much now but still got his money. Outside of the bball world no one is gonna care about the title but that extra money is big.
NBA teams do care,what makes you believe they don't?

Quote:
Why would you do something for little money when people are paying you a lot to do the same thing. People act like 3 million is a lot and it is but dont get that confused with making 20 million a year, and the security that brings. Plus dont forget that many players are not frugal with their money and their career isnt very long and could end any second.

When I heard KG saying he would take a paycut in Minnesota all I thought was he is naive and immature.
Nobody said KG should take a paycut from $20 Million to $3 Million

We're specifically talking about KG,not any other player in the NBA.

KG has made approxiamtely $210 Million in NBA salary and probably at least $30 Million in endorsements over his career.

What I'm asking again is what point does it make for him to sign a 3/$60 Million dollar contract extension when he's made more money in salary than almost anyone in NBA History,yet he claims he wants to win a Championship.

I don't see the sense in him still being in demand for such huge money when he's already made so much money.

Yes,I understand that a player's career could end any minute but when you've made $210 Million dollars in salary over your career,you shouldn't be going to the shelter anytime in your lifetime,or your kids lifetime.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool

I know what you're getting at, and it's a valid point of view. Especially from a fan's perspective. But the day a human being with a functional brain turns down 24 million dollars, in their cash-earning prime, is the day capitalism fails.

He's always going to be able to sign for the vet minimum and go for a free ride. Sure he might not feel as accomplished not winning that ring as a main piece, but hey - he can always go back and have a dip with 50 naked women in his pool filled with gold as comfort. Not too bad a situation imo. :)
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

KG is secure as **** financially,unless he has been wasting his money on drugs,cars,women,burning it,etc.

I don't think he has because he doesn't seem like that type of guy.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Nobody said KG should take a paycut from $20 Million to $3 Million

Do you understand if he did take that type of cut the Celtics would still be over the cap.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:

It doesn't have to be throughout his career. Most of the good players now come into the league around the age of 19 or 20. After their rookie deal and first big deal (we're talking about the elite players here, so they would be making big money in their first big contract) they would have no money problems for their family, their kids family and most likely the next generation as well.

That's not even mentioning the huge endorsement deals they would be involved in.

After their first huge deal, they will probably be right around 30. If you got three great players in that same situation, where you have already made enough money and now have a chance to play wherever you want, what's stopping you from doing what I proposed?

Surely money can't be the issue when you've already made enough to last numerous generations.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Do you understand if he did take that type of cut the Celtics would still be over the cap.
It still doesn't matter whether they would still be over the cap or not,Do you spend more money because you're already deep in debt?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
It still doesn't matter whether they would still be over the cap or not,Do you spend more money because you're already deep in debt?
if he signs a 60 million dollar deal,they are over the cap,cannot sign another star player. if he signs a 10 million dollar deal,they are over the cap,cannot sign another player. i dont see how signing for less money would make him more of a "team player"
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

So, because KG did not sign a reduced contract offer,which he can re-do anytime, he is not a team player?

Last edited by JellyBean : 06-07-2008 at 12:50 PM.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: