Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Should I get a XBOX 360?

I've been looking to buy a new console since I've been getting sick of computer games lately. I've been reading up on XBOX 360's for the past few days. How many people have had the red rings, and how many times, and what were the circumstances? People say that if you play for several hours, it tends to over heat, but why can't you just play for two hours, save, and then just shut it off for 20-30 minutes, and then restart and resume your game? What's so hard about that?

I realize you shouldn't have to do something like that, but I would try anything and everything to prevent the red rings.

I don't want to buy a new one, because I don't have the money, but I see people on Craig's list selling ones that have the red rings, and all I'd have to do is send it in to Microsoft. On the other hand, new ones come with a 3 year warranty, and I would like that, more like need it. Another option is to buy a used one and purchase an extended warranty, but that would probably just cost me a bit less than a brand new one, and I might as well just spend the extra money if I'm going to do that.

And why are old games still $30-50? They don't have a PS2 Greatest hits kind of line? All those games are brand new, but only $19.99. I'm still seeing three year old games that cost the same when they were brand new, and that's ****ing crazy, and it's a pain in the ass to mod the XBOX to play burned games, and I hate to buy used games.

BUT, I want a new system. I'm sick of buying new games for the PS2, like NBA 2K8, and it being nothing compared to the PS3 version. It's like buying half a game, knowing the other system's version is so much better.

Also, there are some games that are PS3 exclusive. Is GOWIII coming out for the XBOX 360? I don't think it is, which sucks.

Lots of cons to one pro, which is it is a new system, and it has a ton of great games.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
AIrules
I hit open layups

AIrules has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should I get a XBOX 360?

Please DONT BUY THE 360! I'm begging you
I've had a lotta issues with my console...first the 3 flashing red lights and then the power cord's hardware failed...N yeah when it heats up you have to wait till the next day to play it..

Otherwise it's ok..nothing special..So I'd advise you to buy the PS3
AIrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

i bought a used 360 a little over a year ago and i've had no problems with it. i play it pretty often but space it out because the wii gets a lot of run, but i've definitely clocked the occassional all day binge on it with everything running smoothly.

if anything i get disc read errors from time to time, but i just take the disc out and reinsert it and it works fine after that.

i traded in a few games and got my used 360, used hdd, and used gears of war for 300 bucks after tax (it was the wireless controller and hd cables package too!)

my brother on the other hand got the 3 red lights and was told by microsoft that his specific red light error was not covered under warranty. so be aware that there are holes in the new 3 year warranty.

Last edited by SayTownRy : 06-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
And why are old games still $30-50? They don't have a PS2 Greatest hits kind of line? All those games are brand new, but only $19.99. I'm still seeing three year old games that cost the same when they were brand new, and that's ****ing crazy, and it's a pain in the ass to mod the XBOX to play burned games, and I hate to buy used games.

the reason it's like this is because people will still buy it, halo is a great example

halo hadn't gone down in price because it WAS the reason to buy an xbox, it was just that good. so why should a company lower prices when the sale numbers are still relatively high

this is a big reason why i play a lot of lower priced games such as indie products. sometimes the big guys skip corners, the little guys won't though, they have something to prove :)
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i bought an XBOX 360 sometime last year (late, maybe november) just to play NBA 2K8. I don't play much, and i ALWAYS have problems with the games. Every few games, it crashes, or says the disk is dirty, etc. I NEVER have had these problems with nintendo consoles. It's similar to the problems i'd have with PS2, eventually it would start to have issues, but here, it's way too soon.

The new set of 2k games should be fairly similar across consoles, so if that's your beef, or unless you want an XBOX exclusive, id go PS3, simply becaues the problems with a $400 machine are a real downer.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Get a PS3, you wont regret it.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

RandomBalla55 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
i bought an XBOX 360 sometime last year (late, maybe november) just to play NBA 2K8. I don't play much, and i ALWAYS have problems with the games. Every few games, it crashes, or says the disk is dirty, etc. I NEVER have had these problems with nintendo consoles. It's similar to the problems i'd have with PS2, eventually it would start to have issues, but here, it's way too soon.

The new set of 2k games should be fairly similar across consoles, so if that's your beef, or unless you want an XBOX exclusive, id go PS3, simply becaues the problems with a $400 machine are a real downer.

Are you leaving your disc IN the system after your done playing?

That would probably be the reason why it gives you DDEs. As for it crashing, it might be your disc. Make sure your not moving your console while it's in use.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not moving the console while it's running? I mean, COME ON. That's ridiculous. The cons seem to heavily out-weigh the pros.

I would really like to get a new console, but all this stuff you have to deal with the 360 is just too much, I think. I'm not made of money, either, so if anything goes wrong that's not covered by the warranty, then I'm ****ed.
?
Has Microsoft ever made anything reliable? Ever?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux

Microsoft has a Platinum Hits line of games for $29.99 (you won't see greatest hits for $19.99 any longer — games under this price are clearance/budget releases) PS3 greatest hits are priced the same at $29.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
BUT, I want a new system. I'm sick of buying new games for the PS2, like NBA 2K8, and it being nothing compared to the PS3 version. It's like buying half a game, knowing the other system's version is so much better.

Also, there are some games that are PS3 exclusive. Is GOWIII coming out for the XBOX 360? I don't think it is, which sucks.

If you want to stick to sports games and play God of War, then your best bet would to be to get a PlayStation 3. Also if you enjoy movie watching, you can enjoy Blu-ray high definition…

OF NOTE, if you wish to play games from the PlayStation 2 library, you will need to seek out an older model, such as a 20GB or 60GB which offer 100% flawless backwards compatibility, or an 80GB console which will offer software emulation backwards compatibility. 40GB consoles (currently only model being manufactured new as of now) does not allow the play of PlayStation 2 games.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Microsoft has a Platinum Hits line of games for $29.99 (you won't see greatest hits for $19.99 any longer — games under this price are clearance/budget releases) PS3 greatest hits are priced the same at $29.99

If you want to stick to sports games and play God of War, then your best bet would to be to get a PlayStation 3. Also if you enjoy movie watching, you can enjoy Blu-ray high definition…

OF NOTE, if you wish to play games from the PlayStation 2 library, you will need to seek out an older model, such as a 20GB or 60GB which offer 100% flawless backwards compatibility, or an 80GB console which will offer software emulation backwards compatibility. 40GB consoles (currently only model being manufactured new as of now) does not allow the play of PlayStation 2 games.
No no the only model, there is a new 80gb bundle of MGS4 that will be for sale within a week, some places are already selling it (the workers don't know the release I assume).
The 40gb is also rumored to get backward compatibility (emulation which is same as 80gb) via firmware update.
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-152943.aspx
gyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I'm not going to get rid of my PS2. I have no problem switching systems if I want to play an older game. I guess some people are just lazy when it comes to something like that.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
d_white089
Let's Go.....

d_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation hered_white089 has an incredible reputation here

PS3 ftw
d_white089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i have a 360, but i'd say it depends on what games you want to play.

360 has halo and forza - ps3 has metal gear and gran turismo

nearly all the other games are on both systems.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
EvinWizzle
Mi a badmon !

EvinWizzle has an OK reputation so far

Get a 360, right now the 360 is the best way to go, trust me
EvinWizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: