Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation
Default JO to the Bulls Idea via Chicago Sun Times

Didn't see that anyone noted this article. A sportswriter from the Chicago Sun Times speculated on a JO for Bulls package deal:

'Either I can play or I can't'
Pierce's inspiring return from Game 1 injury doesn't mean he isn't hurt

June 8, 2008

BY JOHN JACKSON Sun-Times Columnist

On the market

If the Bulls decide to select Memphis point guard Derrick Rose with the top pick in the draft this month, they might seek to fill their need for a low-post scorer by acquiring Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal.

The Pacers would prefer not to deal O'Neal within the Central Division, but they might not have much choice. O'Neal has two years and $44 million left on his contract and a recent history of injuries, so few teams would be in position -- or willing -- to make a play for the 12-year veteran.

The Bulls, though, are one of those teams. They have the players -- and, more important, the big-money contracts -- to get a deal done. A proposal built around forward Tyrus Thomas ($3.75 million), one of the Bulls' excess guards -- Larry Hughes ($12.8 million), Kirk Hinrich ($10 million) or Ben Gordon (restricted free agent) -- and a future draft pick meets the salary-cap requirements and might be the best offer the Pacers get.

Although O'Neal is a former All-Star, his value won't be very high because of his contract and because he averaged just 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds last season. The team that trades for O'Neal will be gambling that he can regain his health, which is far from a certainty.

Here's the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/jacks...-jax08.article

And yes, I would do a Bulls-JO deal. The writer speculates on a JO for Hinrich/Thomas and pick deal. I could envision a deal similar to this (works under CBA):

JO & Diogu & 2nd rd pick for Hinrich, Hughes and Thomas

JO's salary next year: 21.35 million, Diogu is set to earn 2.9 million. Total: 24.25 million

Hinrich will earn 10 million, Hughes 12.825 and Thomas will earn 3.75 million. Total: 26.575 million

Why for Indy? Indy finally rids itself of JO and gets back a solid point, a young player in Thomas and a decent starter or 6th man in Hughes. Pacers could use their #11 pick for a big like Jordan or Speights?

Why for Chicago? Bulls dump some longer contracts in Hinrich and Hughes (i dont know why he wrote this because JO and Hughes both have 2 years left on their contracts - PacerRaptor) and add a big man and clears room for Rose.

New Pacer lineup:

Hinrich, Diener, fa
Hughes, Daniels, fa
Granger, Williams, Graham
Dunleavy, Thomas, Richard Hendrix 2nd rd pick
Murphy, Foster, #11 pick

Any thoughts?

I would love for Hughes to be taken out of this deal and Nocioni added, but thats probably too much to ask for

Last edited by PacerRaptor : 06-09-2008 at 10:34 PM.
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: JO to the Bulls Idea via Chicago Sun Times

I'd like Hughes, Tyrus and resigned Gordon for JO. If O'Neal comes to the Bulls I'd die if Kirk was traded, that's always been a dream for me to see Kirk and JO play together.

Hinrich longer contract? Kirk's contract is pretty nice on a team's cap since it's all front loaded.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12
I'd like Hughes, Tyrus and resigned Gordon for JO. If O'Neal comes to the Bulls I'd die if Kirk was traded, that's always been a dream for me to see Kirk and JO play together.

Hinrich longer contract? Kirk's contract is pretty nice on a team's cap since it's all front loaded.

hinrich over gordon at the 2? i'd like to see rose and hinrich back court, but hinrich would have to increase his field goal percentage and be able to become a good scorer, we all kno gordon could score, it would b hard for me to c hinrich over gordon at the 2
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
hinrich over gordon at the 2? i'd like to see rose and hinrich back court, but hinrich would have to increase his field goal percentage and be able to become a good scorer, we all kno gordon could score, it would b hard for me to c hinrich over gordon at the 2

For me personally, I would like to see Hinrich stay and Ben go. Hinrich is taller, a better defender, and I think he has more room to improve as a player compared to Gordon.

I think Kirk already gives the Bulls more than Ben, and I think he will flourish with the right players, and not being responible for creating all the plays.

I could be wrong though.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

i dont think the Pacers would do the deal without Hinrich. Pacers are in a need of a solid PG. Hughes and Gordon are not real PG (more of SGs). I think the keys to deal are Hinrich and Thomas
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD

Yeah Hinrich can play the 2, and while he may not be a better shooter than Ben, he isn't as streaky as Ben either. With Kirk not having to having the bring the ball up and set up the offense he'd be able to focus just on scoring and defense, and with Rose there, he'd get some help on defense. I think it could work, and Kirk already has his contract - Ben still would have to be resigned and he is going to want a lot - let him walk.

Rose/Hinrich/Curry
Hinrich/Thabo
Deng/Nocioni
Gooden/Noah
JO/Gray

(or you could flip Gooden and Noah around, that way you get post scoring off the bench from Gooden, also throw Noc down there a bit against smaller big men)

With the second round pick I think a big man is key if this deal would go through though. More than likely a center - I am still high on Sasha Kaun, but since Noah can play center, and O'Neal can play the 4, I wouldn't be mad if they brought in a DJ White type of player.

And PacerRaptor I understand how Kirk would be huge in the deal. But if the Pacers really want O'Neal out and want to drop his contract and his injuries, then I think they are going going to have to take the best offer on the table. But since it's been said Kirk is on the block - I could see him going, but I would be so pissed to see him in Indiana - that is not the place for him.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
i dont think the Pacers would do the deal without Hinrich. Pacers are in a need of a solid PG. Hughes and Gordon are not real PG (more of SGs). I think the keys to deal are Hinrich and Thomas

I am certain you are correct, I just wasn't thinking about it from the Pacers point of view. I just really want my favorite team to rid themsleves of Gordon. I felt the same way about Ben Wallace and right now I think Gordon must be the next one to go.

I heard the TrailBlazers want Gordon, man they can have him for anything reasonable.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Trade Duhon, Hughes, and Simmons for JO.
Oh, I should have mentioned, I don't want JO in a Bulls uniform.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool

The injury factor is too much for me to want to trade any semi-good package to Indy for JO. If he is medically looking healed and ready to go maybe then. It's speculation made up by the sun times anyway.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
jumping123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jumping123 has an OK reputation so far

This trade sounds good but it depends on whether Jermaine O'Neal is truly healthy and who will be part of the trade. I could see Larry Hughes going but I'll bet the Pacers will insist on Kirk Hinrich being part of the deal. It sounds tempting but I doubt the teams will agree right away on the pieces involved.
jumping123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
willyneu
Can barely lace up my sneakers

willyneu has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping123
This trade sounds good but it depends on whether Jermaine O'Neal is truly healthy and who will be part of the trade. I could see Larry Hughes going but I'll bet the Pacers will insist on Kirk Hinrich being part of the deal. It sounds tempting but I doubt the teams will agree right away on the pieces involved.
Jo's injury issues bother me. Unless he is tring to just go somethere else to play.
willyneu is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: