Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
fos
It's not rebound-ball.
 
fos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 1,730
fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
That's just the way it is. Genetically, blacks have longer calves, longer achilles heals(For better jumping), thicker bone density and are usually taller then white people. Long arms are just another thing that adds to the list.

You are wrong on the height thing, on average whites are substantially taller than blacks.

Blacks long limbs are due to the heat where they are originally from (Africa). Sorta like how eskimos are stubby and fat, blacks are skinny and long armed because it's conducive to their environment.

Also, one benefit of being white is that you can get more vitamin D from the sunlight. There are adaptations that certain people have for their environment.
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #17
v-unit
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,150
v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fos
You are wrong on the height thing, on average whites are substantially taller than blacks.

Blacks long limbs are due to the heat where they are originally from (Africa). Sorta like how eskimos are stubby and fat, blacks are skinny and long armed because it's conducive to their environment.

Also, one benefit of being white is that you can get more vitamin D from the sunlight. There are adaptations that certain people have for their environment.


True, your right *Repps* lol

Just like Manute Bol was extremely long limbed because he was straight from Africa, and I have read a recent study actually about how tanning gives you Vitamend D. This I guess makes sense with the white people because they can actually tan.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #18
fos
It's not rebound-ball.
 
fos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 1,730
fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIMMER
Its natural selection. The men with longer arms and faster legs and climb trees and run away faster from lions and elephants.

No... It's the heat. I'm super serial. :)
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Slavery (no racism).
this is the correct answer...

I have brought it up here before and it really offends people here for some reason but it is 100% true...

African Americans are very different looking than Africans...

that is because white men bred them...they only brought the biggest strongest Africans over here because they made for better slaves...that right there is selective breeding...

but it even goes deeper than that...something that schools do not teach but slaves were bred just like farm animals for the most part....there were slave breeding farms even where only the biggest strongest men were alowed to mate witht he healthiest females...in order to have the biggest strongest most athletic kids...

this is why African Americans dominate sports and this is why African Americans are 10x stronger and more athletic than regular Africans....




now flame away and call me an ignorant racist or whatever but it is true...

google it...youtube it....look it up....you will only find that I am right...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #20
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10
 
Remix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,002
Remix has decent reputation
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fos
No... It's the heat. I'm super serial. :)
AL GORE!
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 22,550
Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

It's Man-Bear-Pig!

Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #22
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!
 
CelticForce1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rose+Kirk=Verfechters!
Posts: 1,278
CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
That's just the way it is. Genetically, blacks have longer calves, longer achilles heals(For better jumping), thicker bone density and are usually taller then white people. Long arms are just another thing that adds to the list.


Uh, I thought the story goes that black folks (usually) have shorter calves than (most)white people?

Many times if you look at African American bodybuilders you will see some massive dudes with calves that just don't match up well in proportion. There will always be exceptions to every "rule" of course...

Anyway, longer calf muscles usually have a greater growth potential (freakish genetics and steroids aside) but again, the theory goes something like the shorter calf muscles create better ability for more explosive jumping.

BTW, isn't nice that in 2008 we can have someone ask a question sincerely without having it turn into some stupid race-based verbal warfare? Yes, I know there will always be idiots of every stripe of the rainbow, and society is not perfect in it's thinking...but things improve every year.

It is up to each of us to better ourselves, our thoughts, and our race. The human race.

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 10-15-2008 at 04:05 PM.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #23
solidus_maximus
I airball my layups
 
solidus_maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 65
solidus_maximus has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

when they say theres a silver lining to ever cloud or whatever, i guess this is the silver lining of slavery.. im obviously against it but look now, some of the top earners are because of this after effect, and even those who don't work as athletes have benefited, just from a cultural standpoint in terms of the respect that they get.
solidus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Chicago76
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
Chicago76 has decent reputation
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

It's kind of disturbing how some people tend to group all black people from Africa into one giant bucket. Those brought over here through slavery were from west Africa. West Africans, whether Jamaican, American, Canadian, or Nigerian tend to dominate in sprint events in track. They have something like 98% of the 100 fastest 100 meter times of all time. They also tend to do well in soccer (Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria...generally the best players going to Europe). Somehow the breeding myth became more important than the fact that a group of people adapted to their environment for 1000s of years.

East Africans aren't generally known for their sprinting ability. Think the Kenyans and marathons. You also won't see many of them on the basketball court or soccer fields. North Africans who are either black (Ethiopia for example) or of Arabic descent perform well in the middle distances like the 1600, 5000.

Dutch people happen to be the tallest nationality in the world. Bulgarians and others in the region are generally the best weightlifters in the world. India, despite the fact that it has over 1 billion people, has not won a single Olympic gold medal in anything since 1980.

Does any of this really matter?
Chicago76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #25
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It
 
ForceOfNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,147
ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
Uh, I thought the story goes that black folks (usually) have shorter calves than (most)white people?

Many times if you look at African American bodybuilders you will see some massive dudes with calves that just don't match up well in proportion. There will always be exceptions to every "rule" of course...

Actually, it's been shown that blacks have proportionately longer legs than whites, who have proportionately longer legs than Asians.

Additionally, Asians have proportionately longer torsos than whites, who have proportionately longer torsos than blacks.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #26
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 293
OutOfPlace has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
That's just the way it is. Genetically, blacks have longer calves, longer achilles heals(For better jumping), thicker bone density and are usually taller then white people. Long arms are just another thing that adds to the list.

Blacks do have relatively longer limbs and are more athletic, but there is no way they are taller than whites. I see a lot of black guys around and they are on average 3-4 inches shorter than the average northern European.
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
chocolatethunder
National High School Star
 
chocolatethunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,020
chocolatethunder has decent reputationchocolatethunder has decent reputation
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76
It's kind of disturbing how some people tend to group all black people from Africa into one giant bucket. Those brought over here through slavery were from west Africa. West Africans, whether Jamaican, American, Canadian, or Nigerian tend to dominate in sprint events in track. They have something like 98% of the 100 fastest 100 meter times of all time. They also tend to do well in soccer (Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria...generally the best players going to Europe). Somehow the breeding myth became more important than the fact that a group of people adapted to their environment for 1000s of years.

East Africans aren't generally known for their sprinting ability. Think the Kenyans and marathons. You also won't see many of them on the basketball court or soccer fields. North Africans who are either black (Ethiopia for example) or of Arabic descent perform well in the middle distances like the 1600, 5000.

Dutch people happen to be the tallest nationality in the world. Bulgarians and others in the region are generally the best weightlifters in the world. India, despite the fact that it has over 1 billion people, has not won a single Olympic gold medal in anything since 1980.

Does any of this really matter?
None of it matters, but just to let you know, North Africans (Tunisians, Moroccans,etc.) are great at any distance (by distance I mean 800 and up) and so are Ethiopians, Eritreans and Kenyans (I don't know if you were calling Ethiopia part of North Africa considering that it sits at the same latitude as Nigeria which is West Africa). I guess that you're not a runner.

Last edited by chocolatethunder : 06-10-2008 at 11:18 AM.
chocolatethunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
pethuel03
finger lickin' good!
 
pethuel03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,117
pethuel03 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

genetics
pethuel03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
ILballa
Hemp Coach
 
ILballa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,752
ILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
this is the correct answer...

I have brought it up here before and it really offends people here for some reason but it is 100% true...

African Americans are very different looking than Africans...

that is because white men bred them...they only brought the biggest strongest Africans over here because they made for better slaves...that right there is selective breeding...

but it even goes deeper than that...something that schools do not teach but slaves were bred just like farm animals for the most part....there were slave breeding farms even where only the biggest strongest men were alowed to mate witht he healthiest females...in order to have the biggest strongest most athletic kids...

this is why African Americans dominate sports and this is why African Americans are 10x stronger and more athletic than regular Africans....




now flame away and call me an ignorant racist or whatever but it is true...

google it...youtube it....look it up....you will only find that I am right...

You're right.
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
TonyJones
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 801
TonyJones has decent reputationTonyJones has decent reputation
Default Re: Why do black people have longer arms? (relative to height)

I am 6'1 but I have extremely Long arms it can look really freakish when looking in the mirror. I also am a long legged freak like OBAMA. I have to get 32X34 jeans.
TonyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy