Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Blazers after Ben Gordon?

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Heat-Up-2915/

Its the 5th from bottom paragraph. I'm not a big fan. He is a shoot first SG in a PG's body.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
vmdv12
Kids at the park dunk on me

vmdv12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Blazers after Ben Gordon?

Bulls fan here...I will say this about Gordon. His Defense is not that good..BUT...there are few better shooters in the NBA. Yes he's in a PG body but he's shoot first....he's a shooting guard, a short one. He would KILL on your Blazers team with Oden and Aldridge in the post and high-post. Now that we got the number one pick, I'm hoping the Bulls package Hinrich and others for a low post big man so that Gordon can shoot all day with less pressure. We'll see what happens but I'm sure the Western Conference does not want to see Gordon on the Blazers.
vmdv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

If you want a SG in a PG body, go and get Navarro. He is exactly that, is a deadly shooter, and would be much cheaper than Gordon.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If we weren't getting Rudy, I would say go for it. I do actually like Gordon's game. But if we already have Roy and Rudy, whats the point of getting Gordon? Especially at the price tag Gordon demands. Doesn't he want max money? No way Blazers would agree to giving him max dollars with him being maybe the 4th best player on the team.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
blazerftc
High School Varsity 6th Man

blazerftc has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
If we weren't getting Rudy, I would say go for it. I do actually like Gordon's game. But if we already have Roy and Rudy, whats the point of getting Gordon? Especially at the price tag Gordon demands. Doesn't he want max money? No way Blazers would agree to giving him max dollars with him being maybe the 4th best player on the team.

I agree. But, you know KP, and my guess is that if this deal is for real there's a third (maybe even fourth) team out there that will be the one ending up with Gordon, with the blazers getting something more in line with their current needs at an appropriate price.
blazerftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I read into this more as they found a taker for Jarrett Jack and that Nate liked to stay small off the bench so they are trying to upgrade that bench combo guard position.

I like it if he will be taking over Jacks position because instead of seeing...

Fernandez
Outlaw/Webster
Frye
Przybilla

We could see a more dynamic bench of...

Gordon
Fernandez
Outlaw
Frye/Przybilla (Depending on the game time situation)

And we all know that Nate believes that Outlaw had success last season because he was playing mostly against power forwards than against small forwards so this would also allow Outlaw to stay in his new position.

Edit:

Wow, just read the report and I still like this! trade two second rounders that would've probably been Euros since we have no bench room and we already have like 6 Euros who are going to be coming over in the near future. You get Ben Gordon's big expiring contract to go along with Raef LaFrentz contract at the end of next season! He can score and looks like he would start at point guard. Really, there are more pros than cons to this for me

Ben Gordon
Brandon Roy
Travis Outlaw
LaMarcus Aldridge
Greg Oden

---
Steve Blake
Rudy Fernandez
Martell Webster
Channing Frye
Joel Przybilla

They can always have Roy guard the opponants best guard while Gordon plays the other ala Roy on Iverson, Gordon on Anthony Carter.

I'm not sure how big his contract is either but I remember it being remotely big? Maybe freeing up nearly 20 million between him and LaFrentz.

Last edited by BlazersDozen : 06-06-2008 at 10:47 AM.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Myth

That works if you plan on only playing Rudy 10 minutes per game, which I think he would be unhappy with.

Also, Jack's contract is $2M while Gordon's is about $6.5M. That means we have to give up about $4-5M to get Gordon in the first place. Who would that be? Outlaw makes $4M. Webster makes $3.7M. James Jones makes $3.1M IF he takes his player option, which only pisses people off if you trade a player that just uses his option without his consent (and by people I mean other players besides Jones), Frye makes $3.2M, and Sergio makes $1M.

Do we really want to trade Jack, Frye, and Sergio to create a log jam at the G spots, then make a decision to pay Gordon $10M+ per year or let him walk?

Edit: Oh, here is the other option. I didn't mention this earlier because ********** doesn't have his salary listed. Maybe Steve Blake's contract would work. This last year he made $4.2M, but I'm not sure what the rest of his contract looks like. Though, the problem with this is that we would be giving up our only pure point guard (unless you think Sergio is ready). This would make sense minutes wise for Roy/Fernandez/Gordon, but if Roy or Gordon struggle to consistently play the point, then we are screwed (again, unless you think Sergio is ready).

Last edited by Myth : 06-06-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Gordon turned down a 5 year $50 million contract from the Bulls.....I'm sorry, what EXACTLY has he shown the league, that he thinks that he deserves more money????? Maybe Latrell "I've got a family to feed!" Sprewell is advising him?????? No thanks!!!
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Myth

^^^ Exactly!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I don't think that Portland would be bringing Gordon with the intent of signing him to a big contract but to use him as an expirerer.

You said we'd have to trade two guards to get one...doesn't that create less of a jam?

Ben Gordon (PG & SG)
Rudy Fernandez (SG & SF)
Steve Blake (PG)
Brandon Roy (SG & PG)

Without the trade you keep Jack and Rodriguez.

I also don't see how Rudy would only get 10 minutes. Gordon starts at point with Blake backing him and Rudy backing Roy.

Obviously I see why you are scared of this trade because he is a shoot first guard (although he's a good shooter, unlike the majority of the others in the leauge) and he is a defensive liability but when that excuss comes up with Calderon everyone says well there's Roy, Aldridge and Oden to help him.

Seems like people are just making excuses because of his name. Wouldn't you like to be even more money UNDER the cap to insure that you really do resign the big three and can bring in that big time player and if you can't bring in the big time player, then sign above average role players.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Myth

Frye isn't the type of guy you trade just for cap room. He's a valuable PF.

And you ask how we create a log jam that doesn't allow Rudy minutes? First let me start out by saying I don't see Rudy as a SF, at least not right off the bat (even if so, we still have Outlaw, Webster, and potentially James Jones). Now, Roy plays 38 minutes per game. Gordon would likely play 30 minutes per game for us. That leaves about 28 minutes per game left for Blake and Rudy to split among the guard positions. So we are either not giving decent minutes to our only pure PG or we are not giving decent minutes to the guy we just promised would be an important part of our team.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #12
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Honestly with Roy's recent injury history, I doubt he'll be playing 38 minutes a game if Nate and KP honestly think Portland are going to be serious playoff contenders and another reason he had to play so many minutes was because Portland had no good backup shooting guard and Jarrett Jack backing up Blake which Portland would later find out that Jack is better in the Steve Francis type of role. I can see Rudy playing the small forward late in games if Nate wanted. Also I failed to mention that the Portland starting line up lacks a real three point or outside shooting touch that can complinent Roy and Outlaws slashing/penetrating type of game and Aldridge and Odens low post game. Honestly, I think Gordon would thrive here. He scored 18 a game on a team with no low post presense, what will he do with 3-5 open threes and more open midrange jumpers a game?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

I'm with Myth on this one...it just wouldn't make sense.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #14
Myth

I think Gordon would play well here, but it would be at the expense of minutes for Blake and Rudy, and I'm not willing to take on Gordon for even one year to do that. How much do you think we could limit Roy's minutes? Maybe down to 33 minutes per game IF we are dominating teams.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

Also, I don't want some young self-considered-superstar in his contract year, out to prove that he's worth more than $10 million to come in and start jacking up shots to improve his numbers..... I agree with Myth's statement regarding Frye as well - he is a valuable PF - whether we keep him or use him in a trade - I was absolutely estatic when I found out that he was involved in the Zach Randolph trade...........does ANYone in this league take Isaiah Thomas seriously anymore?????
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: