Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
YAH trick YAH
Local High School Star

Default Curt Schilling On Game 2 and KOBE (Ether)

http://38pitches.com/2008/06/09/mann...he-nba-finals/

Ok, so I get some ridiculously good tickets for Game 2 of the NBA Finals last night. This was the 2nd chance to see the Celts up close. A few observations.

I had ZERO idea that the NBA game was that physical. Damn. The big boys are getting after it on every play.

Kevin Garnett, and not that this needs to be stated, but I’ll say it anyway, is as focused and locked in as any athlete in any sport I’ve been around. From pre-game shoot around to last seconds on the clock, this kid is legit. The intensity and reputation are there, wow. His eyes are on the floor, or the ball, all game. What an incredible pleasure it is to watch and be a fan of. I am blown away in that he came out of high school, something that can be a huge disadvantage, and has ALWAYS maintained who he was purported to be.

The first game I saw from these seats the Coach for Washington was basically taunting KG when he was at the line, saying a bunch of things, KG was ignoring him for the most part until he said something that must have been a bit too much, KG pauses, looks over and basically tells him to go piss up a rope.

Last night KG goes to the line, Lamar Odom (who I became a fan of last night) is saying “Hey KG why don’t you help on the ball down here?” Pointing to the paint, and I am guess referencing the fact that KG wasn’t down in the paint mixing it up. He says it again, loudly, KG doesn’t even acknowledge him, and sinks both. Impressive, total focus.

One thing I did learn was that in addition to not having one ounce of athletic ability, being white, and having no vertical, and only being able to dribble right handed, I couldn’t play in the NBA because about 43 times last night I heard things being said that would have made me swing at someone. These guys talk MAJOR trash on the floor, and the great part is that most of the times I’ve seen it the guy on the receiving end usually doesn’t respond much, if at all, and just plays the game, schooling the guy who feels like he needs to talk to make his game better.

Paul Pierce is friggin good. What a game. Who on the Lakers can defend him?

I always wondered about the *****ing and moaning of NBA coaches and players with regards to officiating and last night I was literally on the floor to see and hear it first hand. Things I heard and saw.

1) KGs first quarter Technical. I heard EVERY word of his exchange with the ref. It’s nice to know that they share the same problems some players do with MLB umpires. He was giving a technical because he said the F word, period. He did NOT call the ref a name, he was *****ing about a non-call and said “C’mon, what the F am I supposed to do” and got the T. Now I watch both Pierce, and I think Allen, talking to this ref and he shoots back to Paul this little tidbit. “I can’t let him talk to me that way.”

What? Dude, your an NBA official, not the stinking Pope. Not one person in the arena paid 1 cent of their ticket to see you, ref the game and shut your pie hole. These guys are playing for a world championship, they are as amped up as you expect the best players in the world to be, they are grown men, there’s going to be some PG-13 language, and you are giving a T to a guy for dropping an F bomb? Stupid.

2) Every SINGLE play up and down the floor has MULTIPLE fouls being committed by multiple players. These guys are in close, every play. They are beating the crap out of each other, and the refs see it. That makes me think that the game is called and paced exactly how the refs want it to be. I wondered aloud, a few times, how in the hell calls weren’t being made against the Celts on a ton of plays in the paint where there was some serious pugilism being committed. There were a ton of ‘non-calls’ in my incredibly amateur opinion.

3) Phil Jackson knew it. Early in the game, Farmar comes to the bench during Celts free throws and asks about the next series, Jackson says “One thing I do know is we’ve got to stop !@#$&@#%$#&*()@ fouling these guys” Farmar asks what he says and he repeats the line.

4) I don’t know much about the NBA beyond some of the star players and the famous teams. I heard that the Lakers got Gasol in a horrible steal of a deal and that the league should have investigated the trade for some sort of punishable crime I saw a 7 footer last night who grabbed like 4 rebounds and spent the entire game whining about getting fouled.

5) Kobe. This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn’t know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy ***** at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect. I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates. Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or pissed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.

Let me reiterate that this is from a complete basketball newbie, so for all I know this could be exactly how these guys play this game and interact with each other.

The contrast though, for me anyway, was watching KG and Allen, Pierce, as the game went on. I was literally ON the Laker bench so I could only watch the celts on the floor, and it was just different. it was all about who has whom, who goes where, what’s up next. That could have been a direct result of the officiating and flow of the game though, more than anything.

Sorry if old
YAH trick YAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
KGBigTicket21MVP
Banned

Default Re: Curt Schilling On Game 2 and KOBE (Ether)

Who cares what this guy thinks.
KGBigTicket21MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
chocolatethunder
Decent college freshman

Schilling is a wind bag who never stops talking. I don't like Kobe at all but Schilling just never stops talking a bunch of BS. If ESPN ever needs an outrageous comment on anything, they just ring him up and he always delivers.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
If it’s true, it shows great leadership on Kobe’s part. Notice how they were one Paul Pierce foul away from completing the greatest 4th quarter comeback in the history of the NBA Finals because of the way he treated his teammates. It's not like they (except for Gasol) were doing anything to help him out before the 4th.

Sounds more like finger-pointing to me. What was Kobe doing on the floor while the Celtics were handing it to them for 3.5 quarters? Was Kobe not a part of that? If he was so pissed, maybe he could have played a little defense...or posted up a bit more if he's no longer quick enough to get to the lane off dribble penetration.

It's called leadership if Kobe is doing all he could throughout the game and he inspires his teammates to take his lead. It's called finger-pointing if they are all in the same boat. And they were... When the team wasn't spectacular, Kobe wasn't either. When the team started playing well, Kobe did too.
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Fatal9
owwwww

Magic and Jordan did it

The way most of the Lakers were mailing it in for that game, someone needed to get in there faces. Kobe was the only one who never gave up on the game from what I saw, and when you see your team give Powe a coast-to-coast dunk I'd be pretty pissed too.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

He did qualify his statements with he doesn't really know much about basketball and how guys handle themselves in games. So I take his words with a grain of salt.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Trashing your underachieving teammates IS inspiring them.

Not when you're playing just as bad as the rest of them.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Magic and Jordan did it

The way most of the Lakers were mailing it in for that game, someone needed to get in there faces. Kobe was the only one who never gave up on the game from what I saw, and when you see your team give Powe a coast-to-coast dunk I'd be pretty pissed too.

Kobe was on the floor when he did it!

leon powe steps up!

Look at how Kobe plays defense at the 0:55 mark and then look again at the coast-to-coast dunk by Powe. Kobe was out there. Pause at 1:05 and take a good look at Kobe's back as Powe powers his way past him to the hoop.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
e20dyl4n
Local High School Star

maybe if more professionals come out and say the flow of the game is being controlled by the refs we can get it changed. schilling was pretty much right in everything he said besides the whole kobe bashing. Schilling obviously never watched jordan. granted kobe is no jordan but Jordan has done much worse to his teamates then kobe has. hands down. kobe is just trying to be a good leader. I still want boston to win
e20dyl4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Kris75
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Kris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75

Kobe did that during their run. Why are you trying to start something?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:

Now THAT'S encouragement!
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
niko
I Run NY.

I'm not big on drawing conclusions from a celtic fan, in boston, whose also an ******* (schilling is an attention seeking *******, that's pretty well established) talking about what a jerk someone else is. I don't even doubt some of what he says, but it's a terrible source. It's like a Laker fan writing a postive blog about how kobe rules. Would that be considered 100% true??
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
What matters is how he played at the end. He knew he could go off whenever he wanted to, and he did that in the second half. His teammates are not capable of providing 1/2 the impact he does, even when he is at his worst. If you are better than anyone on your team, you have earned that right. It would be a different story if this was Gasol or Odom.

There was no need to help, since Powe just abused Walton on that play. Blame Walton for his YMCA defense. And when Powe went from end to end untouched, it was Radmanovic he blew by first. It was clearly his fault.

The question isn't whether Kobe is the best player on the team, but whether he is the leader. He's not leading if he takes plays off then yells at his teammates for taking plays off. He's not leading for being upset about the coast-to-coast dunk when he was a part of that horrible defensive sequence. In fact, Kobe had his back to Powe and didn't even notice him until he had already flown past him. That's horrible defense. That's not leadership.

He was just as bad as the rest of the team and he does not have the right to criticize them when he is playing the same way.

If I were a Kobe fan, I would bribe the guy that posted the Powe video to erase it from his youtube page because that shows exactly why some people think Kobe is just a spectacular scorer and nothing else.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: