Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Yup, PS3 HDD's can be upgraded. A quick google search will bring up the procedure.

Personally, I thought the 60GB consoles were the most desireable because it had:

wi-fi
card slots
backwards compatibility

I got mine at launch and went with the 60 as it was better than the 20GB which lacked wifi and the card slots…

ON TOPIC:
I want to play through MGS 3 before I tackle Guns of the Patriots… but more than likely I'll never get around to it and just try MGS 4 anyways
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

oh man I wish I woulda keep one of those 3 ps3's I sold on ebay they first day they came out
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
EvinWizzle
Mi a badmon !

EvinWizzle has an OK reputation so far

This game is cool, but 360>ps3 still
EvinWizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #19
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvinWizzle
This game is cool, but 360>ps3 still

Still waiting for my 360 to come back from MS (ring of death). Second time this has happened. My PS3 has yet to quit on me.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #20
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^ same. even when i worked at toys r us we went through 3 display xbox 360s and never once had to replace the PS3 one.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I don't know how other people use their systems but i basically just play through one game at a time. The only things that STAY saved on my memory are basketball rosters and stuff. But as far as saved game files, I play through one game, then when i finish that i move on to the next game. If i get to the poitn where I need more memory I just delete the oldest game that i beat. I would def. never buy anything over the 40 gig.

I've had the thing for 7 months now and I've only used up about 4-5 gigs at the most.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I've filled up several PS2 memory cards and I don't even use it that much. Granted there's a huge difference in size between a 40gig and a memory card, but my point was that the newer PS3 games are taking up more and more of that room. Someone said the new GTA4 was like 5.7gigs?

Again, I don't know how other people do it, but I often keep saved games long after I'm done playing them. Why? Because a lot of games now have incentives for beating the game, where you get something cool when you start a new game. Some of these games you put hours and hours into. If I decide down the line I want to play it again (not uncommon for me to go back to a game after a year, or a few months), then I want to start the new game with the cool prizes.

Also, a lot of games over the years have had peripheral stuff you could save, like snapshots in MGS and GTASA, or cards in Madden.

Lastly, those rosters you speak of, have historically taken up a huge amount of space. They've gotten better (I remember when you had to basically have a separate N64 memory card to play Madden, because a season ate up most of the memory), but they still take up a lot of space historically. Anyone want to chime in on what a 2k8 or Madden season takes up on a PS3?

Sorry to take so much time away from MGS4 in this thread, but Gobbs basic question was about system compatibility, not the game itself. Also, if I'm being honest, I'm selfish in that I can't play it right now, so I don't want any spoilers.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Also, if I'm being honest, I'm selfish in that I can't play it right now, so I don't want any spoilers.

Mathius

Care for more disgusted rants then?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I've filled up several PS2 memory cards and I don't even use it that much. Granted there's a huge difference in size between a 40gig and a memory card, but my point was that the newer PS3 games are taking up more and more of that room. Someone said the new GTA4 was like 5.7gigs?

Again, I don't know how other people do it, but I often keep saved games long after I'm done playing them. Why? Because a lot of games now have incentives for beating the game, where you get something cool when you start a new game. Some of these games you put hours and hours into. If I decide down the line I want to play it again (not uncommon for me to go back to a game after a year, or a few months), then I want to start the new game with the cool prizes.
Those huge files store on the HD are not game saves, they're cache game data to make make the loading phase faster. The saves themselves are just a few hundred KB each.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #24
Hotbullets
High School Varsity 6th Man

Hotbullets has an OK reputation so far

Beat it yesterday. Best game I've ever played and it's not even close.

*standing ovation*
Hotbullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbullets
Beat it yesterday. Best game I've ever played and it's not even close.

*standing ovation*

So you found the game between the cut scenes? I'm still looking for it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #26
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Those huge files store on the HD are not game saves, they're cache game data to make make the loading phase faster. The saves themselves are just a few hundred KB each.

<shrug> like I said.. $hit adds up. I never thought I'd fill up a 75 gig HD on my pc, but I now have 2 other drives in addition to that, and I still don't have enough room.

If the games start letting you save video? That could take up a lot of room as well.

I was basically aware that it was the installs that were taking up the space. The article I mentioned earlier eluded to that, plus there has been some flaws with the PS3 version of GTA4 that I've read about where you actually have to delete the install and install it again to avoid freezing up on loading the game for the first time.

So like I said, I was aware of it. They're basically doing what the old PC games used to do when CD-Rom games became hot. They know damn well that games are never going to load as fast from media as they are from a HD, so they basically fit as much crucial information on the HD as they can, and then access the disc for peripherals.

I would not be surprised in the least if you found someone who could break it down for you and they told you the basic GTA4 engine is on the HD, but all the textures, cut scenes, messages, player skins, music, etc. etc. is on the blu-ray disc. That's the way these things are usually done.

It was pretty disappointing in the beginning when CD-Rom games became hot. We were under the impression that you could run much better games and not have to take up the HD space that DOOM and such were taking back then. Of course back then, a 50 meg game was considered huge, and most people had extremely small HD's.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 06-22-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #27
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I've filled up several PS2 memory cards and I don't even use it that much.

Good lord lol...i got my PS2 back in 2000 right after they came out and between 2000 and 2007 I only had one memory card
Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #28
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Good lord lol...i got my PS2 back in 2000 right after they came out and between 2000 and 2007 I only had one memory card

I got three (for PS2) and they are pretty full… I usually go through them every once in a while and delete stuff that I haven't played, or wouldn't mind starting over… I got one of each color — black, blue, and red. Heck for PSX, I got 8 memory cards (each different color) and they are all full too! I also only use official memory units.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #29
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Yeah i would have needed a bunch if i actually wanted to keep old game data. Like i said once i beat a game i completely delete it off the memory card. Then with the NBA games obviously when i got the new years' game i would delete the old ones. Other than that I'd keep everything unless it was a game that i absolutely didnt play.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #30
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

I got the game yesterday but I haven't sat down and played it yet.

I'll get around to it in the next couple of days.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: