Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
30pts5rebs5asts
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default What's the consensus on Demar Derozan?

With this years draft just around the corner, I wanted to take a look at next years class. Demar Derozan looks to be a superstar in the making, and one site has his NBA comparison as Air Carter. He looks to be as athletic as anyone, but I'm curious whats the general take on his game?

Does he have a jumpshot? Footwork, post-moves? Defense? Passing and ability to create a shot off the dribble? I saw a youtube clip, but thats in High School, will his athleticism advantage be cancelled out in college/pros?

I'm excited to see what he's got.. here's hoping he has more heart and determination then VC. If he does, he has a very bright future.
30pts5rebs5asts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
23airjordan23
Nash 4 MVP

Default Re: What's the consensus on Demar Derozan?

I think he got some handles. Hes a nice dunker dont know much i'v just been watching some of his mixes.
23airjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Aidan
Both Teams Play Hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30pts5rebs5asts
With this years draft just around the corner, I wanted to take a look at next years class. Demar Derozan looks to be a superstar in the making, and one site has his NBA comparison as Air Carter. He looks to be as athletic as anyone, but I'm curious whats the general take on his game?

Does he have a jumpshot? Footwork, post-moves? Defense? Passing and ability to create a shot off the dribble? I saw a youtube clip, but thats in High School, will his athleticism advantage be cancelled out in college/pros?

I'm excited to see what he's got.. here's hoping he has more heart and determination then VC. If he does, he has a very bright future.

He's atheltic enough to stand out in the NBA and college, he just needs to refine his game. Kid's gonna be a beast...
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
30pts5rebs5asts
Not airballing my layups anymore

He'll be a better beast then Iggy right? I mean, superb at but not restricted to slashing?
30pts5rebs5asts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
plowking
Verticle?

Needs to work on every other part of his game apart from his dunking. Really doesn't stand out in any of the basics needed for basketball. Jumpshooting is iffy and poor form, handles look very poor and a really slow crossover.

Defense looks very good, though is too eager to block, probably due to playing against easy competition. His man to man and help defense looks to be pretty good.

His offensive skillset needs to improve. Sure he can dunk, but apart from that he can't do much in the NBA, IMO.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Interminator
Banned

I think I've been too harsh on DeRozan but I truly don't believe he is as good enough a player to become the next Vince Carter or a superstar in general in the NBA.

I think DeRozan's ceiling is Corey Maggette,a solid 16-18 PPG contributer who can excite the crowd in the open court but is held back mentally from becoming a superstar player.

Im surprised there are people who think DeRozan is going to go to USC and dominate,that's just not the case and more than likely he'll put up 16-18 PPG in a Donte Greene type of situation where he's being fed the ball due to his talent.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

I'm not sure if there is a consensus on him yet, only because very few people on this board have seen him play(other than just 1-2 games +mixtapes). Despite his insane athleticism, his first step isn't all it could be. His ballhandling wasn't too impressive in the last game I saw him in. He still has many flaws to his offensive game...he still has a lot of room for improvement in his jumpshot, and ballhandling skills, and of course, I've only seen very limited understanding of movement on offensive sets. Although I've only witnessed a pair of games of Demar's(a few months back), so I'm no expert.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I think he's a stud. Vince Carter is the same comparison I presented in the NBA forum. In the NBA? I think he tops out as a 22ppg, 3.5 apg, 5.5rpg, 1.3 spg kind of player which is really good. I watched the game where the high school studs played against international talent. Dude was swattin shots like Josh Smith. I know he can't do that in the nba but no reason he couldnt get 1 bpg (similar to the way mcgrady averaged over 1 bpg his first 5 years in the nba. did anybody know mcgrady once averaged 1.9 bpg with toronto!?). Overall the guy's a tremendous talent. At USC I see him averaging around 18ppg. It'll be up to him, Taj Gibson, and Dwight Lewis to make up for the scoring leaving in OJ Mayo and Davon Jefferson.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think he's a stud. Vince Carter is the same comparison I presented in the NBA forum. In the NBA? I think he tops out as a 22ppg, 3.5 apg, 5.5rpg, 1.3 spg kind of player which is really good. I watched the game where the high school studs played against international talent. Dude was swattin shots like Josh Smith. I know he can't do that in the nba but no reason he couldnt get 1 bpg (similar to the way mcgrady averaged over 1 bpg his first 5 years in the nba. did anybody know mcgrady once averaged 1.9 bpg with toronto!?). Overall the guy's a tremendous talent. At USC I see him averaging around 18ppg. It'll be up to him, Taj Gibson, and Dwight Lewis to make up for the scoring leaving in OJ Mayo and Davon Jefferson.

So you agree,Corey Maggette?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
So you agree,Corey Maggette?
Ehh...the '07-'08 Maggette
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Ehh...the '07-'08 Maggette
I could see DeRozan putting up those numbers while playing on a horrible team like Maggette.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: